Options

Samsung Series 7 Slate for LR/CS5?

MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited October 21, 2011 in Digital Darkroom
I'm thinking about pre-ordering the Samsung Series 7 Slate PC (http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/en_US/pd/productID.238020100/parentCategoryID.44066900/categoryID.54536100/list.true).

I haven't used a computer with less than 8GB of RAM for a long time - any thoughts on how well this device will run LR and CS5? I'm guessing it will be "acceptable", and given the package of having a fairly portable tablet PC with a wacom digitizer in it will offset any frustrations in performance. Seems like a Windows OS keyboard-less version of the MBA.

Anyone else have eyes on this thing?

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited October 8, 2011
    I'm thinking about pre-ordering the Samsung Series 7 Slate PC (http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/en_US/pd/productID.238020100/parentCategoryID.44066900/categoryID.54536100/list.true).

I haven't used a computer with less than 8GB of RAM for a long time - any thoughts on how well this device will run LR and CS5? I'm guessing it will be "acceptable", and given the package of having a fairly portable tablet PC with a wacom digitizer in it will offset any frustrations in performance. Seems like a Windows OS keyboard-less version of the MBA.

Anyone else have eyes on this thing?

:nah I think you'll be disappointed. While the machine specs look nice, the user interfaces of LR and CS5 are not designed for a tablet. I think it would prove to be frustrating.
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2011
    Looks interesting. It's way more portable than a laptop. FYI, I use PS CS4 on a laptop with 3GB of RAM, and it's fine.

If you're not in a hurry to buy anything, you might want to wait for Windows 8. It's supposed to be targeted toward tablets as well as traditional laptops/desktops, with a "touch-first" UI, and an app store to compete with the ipad.
  • Options
    jhofkerjhofker Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2011
    I have basically this same machine (proc/ram/ssd), except as a full laptop. Couple it with a wireless mouse/keyboard - It runs Lightroom like a champ, but I haven't tried PS. The only thing to watch out for on these machines is running out of hard drive space. Bigger SSDs are available, but expensive. :-)
  • Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2011
    I'm currently using an HP dm1-3025dx as my on the go computer with CS5 installed. Sure, it's not blazing fast(I've got to get around to maxing it out to the 8GB of RAM) while editing my 5D2 files but it gets the job done and at a very inexpensive price point at that. Toss my Wacom intous4 into the bag with it and I'm ready to go.

Edit: Although many seem to want to call it a laptop or notebook AFAIC it's a netbook, for me to call it otherwise it would need an optical drive.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Options
    MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2011
    I picked up the series 7 slate today, I'll let you know how it goes.