Un-official Unsolicited Vista and Windows 7 Advice Thread

Comments

• SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2009
    I installed xp on my mbp with bootcamp today (I want to play counterstrike mwink.gif ). I had trouble installing service pack 3 and this was the solution. I'm probably the only one left using xp but this might save someone else having to search google.
  • CyberSteakCyberSteak Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    <---still uses xp. :D
    http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/Default.aspx?id=329340&mp=V1

Canon 40D, 28-135mm, 50mm f/1.8, 10-22mm, 70-300, 580 EXII, ST-E2, 500D Diopter
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited January 11, 2010
    Seamus wrote:
    I installed xp on my mbp with bootcamp today (I want to play counterstrike mwink.gif ). I had trouble installing service pack 3 and this was the solution. I'm probably the only one left using xp but this might save someone else having to search google.

If you want to stick with Bootcamp, you're probably better off running XP. Apple doesn't support 7 and does not seem to be in any hurry to do so. I can't imagine that Vista would be improved by virtualization. OTOH, Parallels 5, VMware Fusion and Sun's free VirtualBox all fully support 7.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    Seamus wrote:

My PC is still running XP......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    Art Scott wrote:
    My PC is still running XP......

I still have one of those! :D

...and two Win 7 machines.mwink.gif
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    I still have one of those! :D

...and two Win 7 machines.mwink.gif

Hoping my Win7 Ultimate arrives by Friday....so I can be ready to have a mobile workstation........Dell Studio 17 my 1st laptop...................but I really like how XP has run for me .....I went straight from Win98 to XP and that was only because I had bought a couple of pieces of software that were supposed to run on '98 but really bogged it down so I bit the bullet for XP......and I knew from all the probs I had heard about with vista I was not buying into that................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    Art Scott wrote:
    Hoping my Win7 Ultimate arrives by Friday....so I can be ready to have a mobile workstation........Dell Studio 17 my 1st laptop...................but I really like how XP has run for me .....I went straight from Win98 to XP and that was only because I had bought a couple of pieces of software that were supposed to run on '98 but really bogged it down so I bit the bullet for XP......and I knew from all the probs I had heard about with vista I was not buying into that................

I think you'll like W7. Seems like anything you want to do is a right-click away.clap.gif

I had W98 second edition and strongly resisted XP.....once I finally switched, frankly, I felt a little foolish.
  • jhofkerjhofker Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2011
    Anyone wishing for RAW previews in Explorer should probably grab the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack. 64-bit and 32-bit support and actually works without having to worry about the camera manufacturers producing a reliable codec. :-)

Scroll down a little on that page for a list of currently-supported cameras.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2011
    Just noticed this thread... nice to see that I'm not the only dgrinner who doesn't own a Mac :ivar

Just my experience: I upgraded from Vista to 7... SO much better wings.gif Everything's easier and more intuitive. It's not really something they can advertise, it's just... so easier to use. If you're using vista then get 7 now. I also have XP, and, well, it's still nice, but I like 7 better. Also, when I went to win7 I upgraded from a 5400 to 7200 rpm drive... it's so much faster as well. Those two upgrades totally changed my laptop. If you have a 5400 drive, get a 7200 now. They're cheap.
    edited August 15, 2011
    These days in a laptop (or heck, a desktop), switching out your drive for an SSD will make an amazing difference. If you don't need huge amounts of space, you'll see a huge perfomance increase.
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2011
    Also, when I went to win7 I upgraded from a 5400 to 7200 rpm drive... it's so much faster as well. Those two upgrades totally changed my laptop. If you have a 5400 drive, get a 7200 now. They're cheap.
    its not just the drive alone
    win7 itself is faster then Vista , and also better

Vista was a mistake , and they admitted it

with a year or two , they should come with a new OS
    rumors are they will make a 128bit version also
    hope it will be even better !
    edited August 16, 2011
    Yes, I love 7. I agree... it's so much better than Vista. As for 128 bit, I'd like to see all the 32 bit apps make it to 64 bit. Seems like most of the photo-related ones have. I'm curious, what advantages would 128bit have?
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2011
    Windows 8 is due in 2012 and will be 64-bit. It will be mostly like 7, but the default interface (which can be easily changed) will be a more touch-friendly design. Check out Paul Therott's Windows Weekly podcast if you're interested.
    edited August 16, 2011
    what advantages would 128bit have?
    twice the speed of 64bit
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2011
    That is incorrect.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2011
    Pupator wrote: »
    That is incorrect.

Not to mention that CPUs are currently 64bit, not 128bit.
    edited August 17, 2011
    While there are some components (GPUs) that already use 128-bit data paths to good advantage in vector processing, it is awfully hard to imagine that we will be needing a 128-bit operating system anytime soon. Current 64-bit hardware architectures are only using a tiny fraction of the enormous address space made possible in 64 bits--around 18 exabytes. Watson, the IBM supercomputer and Jeopardy champ has 15 terabytes of RAM, but only used one terabyte when in competition. An exabyte is a million terabytes.

How many exabytes of RAM does your computer have? lol3.gif
    edited August 17, 2011
    ^^
    for an 128bit OS to work , you also need
    - a 128bit CPU
    - a 128bit motherboard
    - 128bit applications

without those , it has no effect at all
    but , they probably will use WOW again just as now , so we can keep using our current software and applications
    edited August 17, 2011
    Richard wrote: »

not very inportend
    mine has 8GB and that is more then enough for me
    even without virtual RAM , it never gave trouble
    edited August 18, 2011
    Richard wrote:

.000003 rolleyes1.gif
    edited October 21, 2011
    for those who are interested
    the pre-release of win8 is now available

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516.aspx
    edited October 24, 2011
    basflt wrote: »
    for those who are interested

i tried for a while
    looks nice , better then win7

things i dont like is UI of start-menu and explorer [ stolen from Winzip ??? ]
    [ hope they change them in final release ]

here some screenshots from me

menu start
    i-wCVcRGw-X2.jpg

explorer
    i-SqPmtG4-X2.jpg

control panel
    i-5wXFf5G-X2.jpg

task-manager
    i-Dkhnv4W-X2.jpg
    edited October 24, 2011
    It's worth noting that it's a "Developer Preview" and not even in beta stage. Also worth noting is that 64-bit Lightroom crashes on it. :-)
    edited October 24, 2011
    jhofker wrote: »
    It's worth noting that it's a "Developer Preview" and not even in beta stage. Also worth noting is that 64-bit Lightroom crashes on it. :-)

LR crashes ?
    as you can see in my start-menu , photoshop dont crash on my virtual machine , so why should LR ?

yes , it is a PRE-release , indeed thumb.gif good you noticed
    it is meant for us , to have a sneak PRE-view
    its not a worthy full operating system yet
    edited October 24, 2011
    basflt wrote: »
    LR crashes ?
    as you can see in my start-menu , photoshop dont crash on my virtual machine , so why should LR ?
    Because it's a different program? mwink.gif

Anybody have a sense yet whether memory management has really been improved?
    edited October 24, 2011
    i try LR ASAP

as for memory , i never had problem
    this version is built upon win7 , thus ok

i use this stuff on a virtual machine
    that means , graphics and memory cannot be compared w a real install
    edited October 25, 2011
    LR & win8
    yes LR crashed
    but , i also found the reason ;
    its in the library management
    there is a conflict with RAWs
    when i import only JPG's , there is no problem , everything runs normal
    edited October 25, 2011
    Yep, for some reason the 64-bit version crashes when it tries to render a RAW. It's easy enough to install the 32-bit version instead, but I just wanted to make sure people knew that before loading up Win8. (I'm using it on both of my machines, but...I'm a developer and knew what I was getting myself into.) :-)

@Richard - Memory management has been improved. My results are inline with their blog post on it.
    edited October 26, 2011
    jhofker wrote: »
    I'm using it on both of my machines, but...I'm a developer and knew what I was getting myself into.

i hope you dont mean you did a clean install ?
    instead of dual-boot ?
    edited October 26, 2011
    start menu
    dont like the weird start menu ?

Launch REGEDIT and browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer.
    Double-click RPEnabled, and change it from 1 to 0 or 2

now Metro is gone and you have normal start again