Options

Scanning Slides - Need Help

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited October 25, 2011 in Finishing School
You all helped me so much with my scanning of old photos using my Epson V600 that now I've returned to ask about scanning slides. Photos have been completed with much success -- Thank you for all your help :D

However I'm really having an issue with slides. The scanner can do 4 at once, but I noticed that one slide will come out at 59.6m and the others come out at 2.03m. Why such a big difference? I'd think all would be of equal size.

Settings seem to be my sticking point. I've also tried all modes of scanning the slides from Auto to Professional. I've been setting my Resolution at 800 and while it's lower then what I scanned my photos at I still feel it should be set higher. Scale is another problem for me. I tried setting the Target Size at 5x7 since I know these slides are capable of printing that large or larger since I've done so. Only I'm getting a real crappy scan with all the variables of settings I'm trying out. Maybe it's best to leave the Target size alone, but I've tried that too and not had any success.

I have over 3000 slides to scan and being able to do 4 at one time - all coming out equalling scanned would of really helped the process along, but if I need to do 1 slide at a time I will just to get the best scan. My goal is to scan these slides so a photo can be printed nicely from them at an 8x10 size if so needed.

Manual info ...

Enlarge after scanning at 100%
Increase Resolution setting by same amount you will increase image size after scanning.
For example, if the resolution is 300 dpi, but you want to increase the image size by 200%, change the resolution setting to 600 dpi. If you want to increase the image size by 400%, change the resolution setting to 1200 dpi.

I have not a clue what the resolution of the slide is, but I know the slide is small in size :D They are Kodachrome Transparency's. At least that's what the card board framing is around the slide.

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thank-you :D

Comments

• Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    1 -in the preview window that apears after pre-scan , select all [ either with the ALL button or ctrl+click ]

2 -as for resolution
    slides and film are much smaller then a print , so , increase resolution
    their own resolution is higher then a print ( they are the RAW of yesteryear's ) , so you can gain better quality as with prints
    how high is up to you , but at least much more than print-scans [ find a balance between scan-time & useful resolution ]
    do some scans at different settings 800 , 1200 , 2400 , you will see

and
    if you get addicted to scanning , save your settings in main window , for later use
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2011
    basflt wrote: »
    1 -in the preview window that apears after pre-scan , select all [ either with the ALL button or ctrl+click ]

2 -as for resolution
    slides and film are much smaller then a print , so , increase resolution
    their own resolution is higher then a print ( they are the RAW of yesteryear's ) , so you can gain better quality as with prints
    how high is up to you , but at least much more than print-scans [ find a balance between scan-time & useful resolution ]
    do some scans at different settings 800 , 1200 , 2400 , you will see

and
    if you get addicted to scanning , save your settings in main window , for later use

Thank you ... the information you gave has helped me out. I'm working on it now and it seems to be working. I set my Resolution up to 2400 and a good scan is the result. Easily I'll be able to make a nice 8x10 print. It's a time consuming scan wise, but I can get some house work done while it's scanning :D

I see where my mistake was in trying to get all the settings to jive together. Sometimes to much of a good thing isn't so good.

Thank you again ... I'll be able to scan all our family slides to share with family members. Won't they be happy - A slide show for Christmas rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    good to hear its working

speaking of house-work
    make sure the glass-plate and slides are spotlessly clean
    it will save you work in PP

happy Christmas :D
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2011
    basflt wrote: »