edited October 28, 2011 in Street and Documentary
Las Vegas

DSC8259-XL.jpg
Rags

Comments

• Options
    richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2011
    Rags, IMHO, this image has potential, but you need to post process to create more contrast. I know the lighting is flat, but there's a lot you can do. The bottom section with the boats need to be lighter for sure. Heck, I will convert the image to B&W but I do that with most of my non-event photos anyway :-)

Right now, the immediate focus is on the bright windows and the boats or anything else really, is lost.
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2011
    richardman wrote: »
    Rags, IMHO, this image has potential, but you need to post process to create more contrast. I know the lighting is flat, but there's a lot you can do. The bottom section with the boats need to be lighter for sure. Heck, I will convert the image to B&W but I do that with most of my non-event photos anyway :-)

Right now, the immediate focus is on the bright windows and the boats or anything else really, is lost.

Fair comment.

You do realize the boats are backlit, it's before sunrise and at iso5000. The dynamic range is too great unless you do sectional EV, in pp & I don't do that.

I posted because there is a person with a connection to the boats, she was waiting for someone.

But honestly, I don't know if it was an oarsman..
    Rags
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2011
    Forgive me and just let me know if I have gone too far in doing this, but here's a one min work in Photoshop to show what I mean, and the only reason it took that long was that I skewed it a little also:

DSC8259-XL-mod.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2011
    :D Richard thanks for the effort.

However, I'm sure you can see the noise. That said, I'm not opposed to noise (I add it on occasion); I use it for a 400X effect (see below). I would delete this iteration, because of noise.

Example of where I think excessive noise improves image

893032857_ehysH-XL-1.jpg

Permit me an observation. I believe there may be a bias against color on this forum. It may result from B&W newsprint with a resulting "vintage" feel. There are a lot of mediocre street shoots in street forums, both technically and subject wise.

It seems to me, technical aspects do not take precedence over the capture of the moment, but this forum should strive to improve the image - whether color or B&W. After all, newspapers have been using coated paper for years

IMHO
    Rags
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2011
    Some people find noise objectionable. One can fix a lot of that by using Lightroom or other de-noiser. Since it's your image, I didn't want to play with it too much more than I did.

As for B&W bias, that's just me. Most people shoot colors and that's fine by me. Me, I shoot mainly B&W. As they say, Your Mileage May Vary.

I totally agree with the "capture of the moment" part. I'm not sure there is a moment here, but there are some aesthetically pleasing aspect to it.

IMHO of course.
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2011
    Fair enough, we have divergent styles.

It's nice we can discuss the differences and agree to disagree....
    Rags