Options

Whoa! Back Yard Black Bear - Avery Island

PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
edited October 29, 2011 in Wildlife
Here is a case of opportunity meeting complete unpreparedness. I know to always have my camera ready, but we had just returned from a trip, I was busy unpacking, etc., when my husband spotted a Louisiana Black Bear dining on acorns under oak trees in our backyard. We grabbed a camera, had a keystone cops routine of getting it sort of set up on a tripod, and started shooting. Oops, no card in the camera, battery about dead. Switched cameras. My settings were off, but I was glad to get these, as I have been wanting to get a reasonable bear picture for a long time--albeit not necessarily in my backyard.

2011-10202011-L.jpg

BlackBearAveryIsland2B-1-L.jpg

2011-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    byoshibyoshi Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2011
    Crazy, how far away was the bear?
    Landscape and Nature photography
    site - http://www.bay-photography.com/
    blog - http://bayphotos.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2011
    Maybe 50 yards away--I had a 500mm lens. There are quite a few Louisiana Black Bear on Avery Island during parts of the year, but they are nocturnal and I go to bed early so I rarely see them. Thanks for your comment! Best, Pam
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2011
    Good captures Pam, I like how the eyes stands out.

F/11 was too stepped down for your aperture settings on these images, you needed shutter speed more than DOF. I also would have tried to nudge out some more shadow detail while processing the images.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2011
    Harryb wrote: »
    Good captures Pam, I like how the eyes stands out.

F/11 was too stepped down for your aperture settings on these images, you needed shutter speed more than DOF. I also would have tried to nudge out some more shadow detail while processing the images.

Thanks, Harry! I was in such a hurry, concerned that the bear would take off, that when we switched cameras I didn't even check the f/stop. Haste makes waste, though. I will work on the shadow detail. I see what you mean, and I think I can do that. If I had been thinking instead of just reacting, I would have set the f/stop almost wide open. Next time!

Can't wait to see more of your Africa photos.

And many, many thanks! Pam
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2011
    Cool shots. I have never seen one in the wild.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2011
    cbbr wrote: »
    Cool shots. I have never seen one in the wild.

Thanks, Chad! I see them rarely too. Best, Pam
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2011
    And a nice healthy Big Bear too Nice shooting. Had a Bob Cat run across the trail in front of me, camera still in the bag. He just stood there looking at me in a nice pose. But the wrestling with my camera strap that was hung up on something must have triggered I am not hanging around for this amateur.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2011
    DsrtVW wrote: »
    And a nice healthy Big Bear too Nice shooting. Had a Bob Cat run across the trail in front of me, camera still in the bag. He just stood there looking at me in a nice pose. But the wrestling with my camera strap that was hung up on something must have triggered I am not hanging around for this amateur.

Your story made me laugh--nice to know I'm not the only one. It does seem like the only time my cameras have no cards or the batteries go dead is when I most need them! A bobcat is the other wildlife subject I would love to capture--I see them rarely, and never standing still, at least so far. Chris, I always love looking at your photos. Best, Pam
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2011
    Lovely shots Pam!

Sent from my U20i using Tapatalk
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 22, 2011
    These are awesome, Pam, given the circumstances. I understand fully about shooting first then checking settings later. mwink.gif
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2011
    Thanks for Sharing! Huge BB!
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2011
    BigAl wrote: »
    Lovely shots Pam!

Sent from my U20i using Tapatalk

Thank you! I have been hoping to get a good Louisiana black bear photo for 15 years really, so I am thrilled to have these. Previously on the rare occasions when I have seen them, it has been at dusk or later, and they have been moving fast because they have also seen me.

Best, Pam
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    These are awesome, Pam, given the circumstances. I understand fully about shooting first then checking settings later. mwink.gif

Thanks, Joel! I have heard so many funny stories about other photographers' unprepared moments since posting this. I see you are now the moderator of the landscape forum! Congratulations! I always love seeing your photos.

Best, Pam
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Thanks for Sharing! Huge BB!

Thank you Tom! Best, Pam
  • Options
    fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    I was down on Avery Island after Katrina/Rita with other Emergency Response Personnel and needless to say didn't see any Black Bears, but I was impressed on the hardy self reliant people who live on the Island! Nice shots, hope they don't get, too close.
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2011
    I was down on Avery Island after Katrina/Rita with other Emergency Response Personnel and needless to say didn't see any Black Bears, but I was impressed on the hardy self reliant people who live on the Island! Nice shots, hope they don't get, too close.

Mike, thank you for helping out during two of the worst storms in memory. I am sure that everyone who lived through those storms will be forever grateful to people like you. Knowing we share our environment with bears during at least part of the year, we are very careful never to leave trash or anything they could perceive as food outside since their sense of smell is so keen. I could count on one hand the number of bears I have actually seen over the last 15 years. They sure are beautiful animals, though!

Best, Pam
  • Options
    bhowdybhowdy Registered Users Posts: 658 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    Nice big fat bear .... Good captures Pam

Bob
    Maryville, TN.

http://bhowdy.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    deb22deb22 Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2011
    wow, this one is ready for the winter slumber, or you said nocturnal? I guess in that part of the world bears are different than the bears up here in Alberta. Very cool to have them in your backyard, and the keystone cops routine is hilarious as we have all been there but it still makes us laugh when it's someone else. Keep your eyes out when taking out the garbage ha ha.
    COUNTRY ROADS ARE NATURES HIGHWAY. http://dafontainewildlife.com
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2011
    bhowdy wrote: »
    Nice big fat bear .... Good captures Pam

Thanks, Bob! He sure seemed to love those acorns! Best, Pam
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2011
    deb22 wrote: »
    wow, this one is ready for the winter slumber, or you said nocturnal? I guess in that part of the world bears are different than the bears up here in Alberta. Very cool to have them in your backyard, and the keystone cops routine is hilarious as we have all been there but it still makes us laugh when it's someone else. Keep your eyes out when taking out the garbage ha ha.

Thank you! No kidding about the garbage. We sure never leave it out overnight, that's for sure! Best, Pam
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2011
    These are great Pam. Good job clap.gif
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2011
    dlplumer wrote: »
    These are great Pam. Good job clap.gif

Thank you, Dan! I was really happy to get these photos, considering how rarely I see a bear, and how TOTALLY unprepared we were. Best, Pam

PS: We just got back from a short trip, and this time I can assure everyone the FIRST thing I unpacked was my camera! :D
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2011
    I found one more useable shot from this series. The bear was back this evening, but it was just too darn dark for photos.

2011-1020BlackBearAveryIsland-L.jpg

I also tried to follow Harry's advice on lightening the shadows in this one. Thank you, Harry thumb.gif

2011-L.jpg

Best, Pam