Options

Suggestions for lens to take to Buenos Aires and Patagonia

gtee00gtee00 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited November 1, 2011 in Accessories
Hi Folks,

I'll be making a trip to Argentina in a few weeks (Buenos Aires and Patagonia) and am seeking suggestions on what lens(es) to take with me.
My current gear includes:
- Canon 40D
- Canon 50mm/f1.4
- Canon 17-40/f4.0 L

I figure I'll be doing a lot of landscapes (glaciers, plains, cityscapes) and walkabout photography. However, part of the trip is also going to include wildlife tours so I'd like to get something with a little more range.

I'd like to carry no more than 2 lenses, maybe the 50mm (because it's just damn good) and then another one.
So I'd appreciate it if y'all have some suggestions.
I'm thinking of:
- 24-105 L, or
- 24-70L, or
- 70-200 L

Of course, cost is an issue, and for example, if the 70-200 IS/f2.8 is THE lens I should take, then I can look into renting it as well.

I'm also open to other lenses, and accessories (such as filters)

Thanks in advance for your input.

-HT

Comments

• Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2011
    I wouldn't go with a 24-70 or 24-105. You already have the 17-40 (great for landscapes/walkaround). You want a longer focal length. The 24-70/105 would be wasting the 24-40 portion of your 17-40. The 24-70/105 are nearly useless for wildlife photography (but it depends on subject distance of course). I'd get the 70-200 definitely. You could go with a cheaper f4 version if you don't need f2.8. You could go with a non-IS version if you don't need IS. I have the 70-200 f4 non-IS - it's great.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2011
    For a crop sensor kit, honestly I wouldn't take any of those L lenses. Personally, I'd rather have a few of my own personal favorites. The Tokina 11-16 2.8 and the Sigma 50-150 2.8. Two of the best "adventure photography" lenses ever made. Light, small, but sharp as heck and f/2.8 for when you need it.

The 17-40 f/4 L would be fine though, if you're used to being "limited" to 17mm on a crop sensor. (I've done plenty of work at 17mm on a crop sensor, but others may declare it inadequate for ultra-wide adventures...) But anywho, personally, unless full-frame were in my IMMEDIATE future, I'd be much more inclined to go with a crop-sensor ultra-wide for an epic trip like that. Heck, if you've got an aversion to 3rd-party lenses, then the Canon 10-22 is *amazing* as well, and the Canon 70-200 f/4 L is great if you have enough light. Honestly for adventure photography where weight and sharpness are so important, I'd totally rather have the 70-200 f/4 L than the f/2.8 L. The f/4 L is sharper, and about a pound lighter.

Again, as much as I love full-frame and full-frame lenses for the portrait and wedding work I do, if I were going on an epic outdoor adventure my camera of choice would be a crop sensor with two of those crop-sensor lenses. But that's just me, the go-light backpacker type, a-la Galen Rowell.

=Matt=

Oh, and speaking of filters, DEFINITELY get yourself a circular polarizer (or two) if you don't already have one, and a cable release / intervalometer if you're into the whole time lapse / star trail thing. My friends and I have been getting into that a lot lately and it's huge fun... (http://sgphotos.com/portfolio/timelapse/findex.html)
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2011
    I would carry only 2 lenses as you want to do...however since I shot for over 20yrs with only a 70-210f2.8, ... ... I would add a 24-70 or so....I view every trip as if it were my last and i want only my best glass to go....if 24 is not wide enuff then go into portrait mode and take several exposures and stitch them together......other wise take an all in one P/S ...... but that is not for me....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited October 31, 2011
    Of my travel kit, the 2 most useful lenses I would take would be:

Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f/2.8 IS USM
    Canon EF 70-200mm, f/4L IS USM

I would also have a Canon 1.4x teleconverter and a Canon 500D closeup diopter, both to fit the 70-200mm. The teleconverter gives an acceptable boost to the long end of the lens, and the 500D diopter gives the lens an acceptable close focus capability. (I use the 77mm diameter 500D along with a 67-77mm step-up ring to adapt.)

I would also highly recommend taking a third lens, your Canon EF 50mm, f/1.4 USM. For low light and when you need more DOF control, it's awfully handy.

I also recommend an external flash and flash modifiers, along with at least a monopod.

Finally a second camera or camera body. The second camera can be as simple as a decent P&S, as long as you can capture something, in case your primary system suffers a failure.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    gtee00gtee00 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 1, 2011
    Hi Everyone.

Thanks so much for your responses. They have all been incredibly helpful. It's easy to pick out a common theme in that all of you recommended the 70-200/f4. I read up on this piece, and truly this seems to be an exceptional lens. It's certainly moved up the list in my mind. If anything I'll probably get the IS version of this.

So then, I'm now thinking of taking the 17-40 and a 70-200. It saddens me to think of not taking the 50 (coz I do love it), but as my wife pointed out, it's such a small lens not taking it doesn't buy me a whole lot in terms of weight. Decisions, decisions!

In any event, thanks for your advice.
    Matthew: your time lapse videos look amazing!

-HT
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2011
    gtee00 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone.

Thanks so much for your responses. They have all been incredibly helpful. It's easy to pick out a common theme in that all of you recommended the 70-200/f4. I read up on this piece, and truly this seems to be an exceptional lens. It's certainly moved up the list in my mind. If anything I'll probably get the IS version of this.

So then, I'm now thinking of taking the 17-40 and a 70-200. It saddens me to think of not taking the 50 (coz I do love it), but as my wife pointed out, it's such a small lens not taking it doesn't buy me a whole lot in terms of weight. Decisions, decisions!

In any event, thanks for your advice.
    Matthew: your time lapse videos look amazing!

-HT

I would bring the 50 just because it's so nifty to have f/1.4 instead of f/4 for those random low-light moments. Going on a grand adventure with nothing faster than f/4 would be a mistake, in my opinion. The 17-40 and 70-200 save you TONS of size and weight compared to the f/2.8 options, so I'd treat yourself to the 50 for sure. :-)

BTW, the time lapse videos aren't mine, they're mostly my friend Sean's creations. My only time lapse videos are just the small clips here: http://photos.matthewsaville.com/Outdoor-Photography/collections/Time-Lapse-Photography/6912725_cFDXJD#756036553_WQso7 ...I'm definitely still learning!

=Matt=
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2011
    I would bring the 50 just because it's so nifty to have f/1.4 instead of f/4 for those random low-light moments. Going on a grand adventure with nothing faster than f/4 would be a mistake, in my opinion. The 17-40 and 70-200 save you TONS of size and weight compared to the f/2.8 options, so I'd treat yourself to the 50 for sure. :-)

+1 15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Of my travel kit, the 2 most useful lenses I would take would be:

Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f/2.8 IS USM
    Canon EF 70-200mm, f/4L IS USM

I would also have a Canon 1.4x teleconverter and a Canon 500D closeup diopter, both to fit the 70-200mm. The teleconverter gives an acceptable boost to the long end of the lens, and the 500D diopter gives the lens an acceptable close focus capability. (I use the 77mm diameter 500D along with a 67-77mm step-up ring to adapt.)

I would also highly recommend taking a third lens, your Canon EF 50mm, f/1.4 USM. For low light and when you need more DOF control, it's awfully handy.

I also recommend an external flash and flash modifiers, along with at least a monopod.

Finally a second camera or camera body. The second camera can be as simple as a decent P&S, as long as you can capture something, in case your primary system suffers a failure.

This is the combination that I have carried everywhere. Except, I no longer carry the 50mm f/1.8 Mk. I lens since the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS is a viable low light glass. I don't really like the image quality of the 50mm f/1.8 lens when shot wide open and so I will usually stop it down a bit. The constant f/2.8 aperture, great Image Stabilization, better low light auto focus of thw 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens as well as the high ISO capabilities of my cameras allow me to get by quite decently with the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS as my low light glass...

I shoot with two 1.6x cameras which will both allow me to have the 17-200mm range (I don't seem to mis the 55-70mm gap) at my finger tips without having to switch cameras and will provide insurance against camera failure which has paid off on an Alaska trip in 2008 when I fell and broke one of the cameras. I used a 30D and a 40D in Chine but, now shoot with a 40D and a 7D. BTW: I can carry the 70-200mm f/4L IS lens AND the 40D camera at aboutthe same weight of the 70-200mm f/2.8 (series) lens alone...

While shooting I carry the two cameras/lenses on an OPTECH Dual Harness and carry my extra gear in my photo vest. When flying, I have my gear in a Lowepro Mini Trekker AW backpack...

I will always have at least one but, usually two hotshoe flashes which I use for both lower light shooting and for flash fill in sunlight. I modify these flashes with Joe Demb Flash Diffuser Pro reflector diffusers...

I will carry a monopod everywhere. When I fly, the pod goes into my checked on luggage because I have had problems getting the monopod thru security as carry-on luggage. It was thought to be a "weapon-like object"...

I carry UV and CPL filters for each lens - since I am shooting concurrently with the two cameras, switching the CPL or UV back and forth will defeat the purpose of having a pair of cameras., plenty of extra batteries for both cameras and flash as well as a pair of OPTECH Rain Sleeves which, I carry in the back pocket of my vest. Secured with a couple of rubber bands, these Rainsleeves protect against rain and blowing dust and grit. I carry plenty of CF memory cards...

See my 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and 70-200mm f/4L IS China Galleries at: http://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/