Options

DS 88 - Just back from India

sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,949 moderator
edited October 31, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Just returned from India and am playing around with a few ideas. Took some photos in India and on the flight home. Took a few more today during our October snowstorm - an unwelcome surprise in the Philadelphia area. It would be great to have some input on these, and I am happy to sit this one out if none of these are up to par and fit the theme. Any thoughts on these?

I think #1 is a stretch as it is probably my fear that this way of life will disappear and faith on the part of the fishermen that the backwaters of India will continue to provide. But it is one of my favorite photos from the trip so happy to at least share it here.

Thanks,
Gretchen

P.S. If any of these have potential for the challenge, I'll do some more post-processing. :D

1. Relying on Traditional Ways [courage - or trust?]
i-DrbmJtF-L.jpg

2. Navigating Traffic in India [fear]
i-b6vWg6S-L.jpg

3. Taking a Global Perspective [courage]
i-DgH3qZP-L.jpg

4. Global Warming?!
i-H9Lt3Ww-L.jpg

5. An Early Winter
i-zLxCBK8-L.jpg

6. Slip-Sliding into an Early Winter
i-mgw5jqW-L.jpg

7. Increasing Frequency of "Freak" Storms
i-Nfbmh6D-L.jpg

8. A Long, Cold Winter
i-DKK83m9-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited October 30, 2011
    Just added 7 photos to my first post as options for this challenge. Welcome your input. Thanks!
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2011
    You're in PA too - just noticed that! Can't believe this weather! I hope it was warmer in India.

I like all of the photos, especially 1, 2 and 7, but have to dig deep to get the theme. Without the titles, I wouldn't see it.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2011
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    You're in PA too - just noticed that! Can't believe this weather! I hope it was warmer in India.

I like all of the photos, especially 1, 2 and 7, but have to dig deep to get the theme. Without the titles, I wouldn't see it.

Thanks for your input on these. I entered 7 for now but may pull it and let this one go by....

Yes, it was very hot and humid in India. Such a contrast! Hope you are staying warm. :)
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2011
    Don't pull it - you still have a shot as long as you're entered!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    powderpowder Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited October 30, 2011
    I wondered about the courage neede to walk along that thin? walkway for number one. Maybe too much of a stretch. I think that is a really great shot , though. Not sure how much precarious walking is involved..."watch your step" or something?
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2011
    Thanks for giving input on this, Powder. It is a precarious walk. He went up and down the wood at the far right - leaning over to hold onto the R side of the V for part of it. Netted the smallest of fish and some shellfish. My brain feels like I left it back in India or somewhere along the way, but I wonder whether it would work with one of these titles:

Watch Your Step

Precarious [walkway and source of food]

Holding On [old ways, living off the land & sea, while walking to the net]

Definitely prefer the photo of the Chinese fishing net but wonder if an early snowstorm photo might be stronger for the theme?
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2011
    I think the fisherman is strongest on the theme. Great shot.

I love the clouds in #3. And the leaves in 7 and 8. Both B&W and color are wonderful.
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2011
    Wonderful shots!!! Welcome back... looks like it was a great trip! I agree with the others tho... not seeing theme in these.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2011
    Internet was out for a while, so didn't see the latest responses till now. Worked on two more shots relating to the freak storm that has caused long power outages (days not hours) and fallen trees for many of our neighbors. We're originally from the midwest where it seems that winter storms are generally less destructive than the icy stuff that comes our way here.

9. Freak Snowstorms (before Halloween here in Philly?!?)
    i-7D4GgzK-L.jpg

10. Beautiful and Dangerous
    i-F29Sthm-L.jpg