Options

Kinzua Bridge State Park - Pennsylvania

rkw624rkw624 Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
edited October 31, 2011 in Journeys
My wife and I took a short day trip yesterday to the Kinzua Bridge State Park. It is near Mt. Jewett, PA and the Allegheny National Forest area. At one time it was the highest railroad bridge in the world. In the early 80's you could ride a train across.

In 2003 an F1 tornado (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/info/kinzuabridgereport/kinzua.html )
took out 11 of 20 viaduct towers but is has since been partially rebuilt with a walkway, deck and observation area with a glass floor in part of it. Put this on your list of places to visit! Nice to see this bridge re-open. Fantastic views!

#1 - Entrance area to the bridge.

IMG7342-XL.jpg

#2 - Another view from the entrance area.

IMG7343-XL.jpg

#3 - My wife is about 1/3 of the way down the viaduct walkway.

IMG7349-XL.jpg

#4 - Glass floor on the observation deck. This is as far as my wife would venture on it!

IMG7360-XL.jpg

#5 - Another view. You can see the path of the tornado from this vantage.

IMG7367-XL.jpg

#6 - View to the other side showing all the twisted towers and path of the tornado.

IMG7358-X2.jpg

#7 - More of the twisted towers. Kinzua Creek flows underneath.

IMG7370-XL.jpg

# 8 - Close up of one of the towers.

IMG7861-X2.jpg

#9 - Observation Deck

IMG7872-X2.jpg
Rich

Comments

• Options
    DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2011
    That was one big twister. Beautiful scenery btw.
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2011
    That was one big twister. Beautiful scenery btw.

Yes it was! Thank you for looking and your comment.
    Rich
  • Options
    Glide446Glide446 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 30, 2011
    Nice Pics Rich. My wife and I are headed up there next weekend. We have a cabin in Tionesta. That twister went right behind our cabin. I remember the destruction it caused and I can't believe our cabin survived !

Also: Do you know if you can walk down below along the creek?
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2011
    Thanks for looking! We saw people down there walking around so I am going to say yes but I can't tell you absolutely for sure. Have a great visit! We love spending time down in that area anywhere.
    Glide446 wrote: »
    Nice Pics Rich. My wife and I are headed up there next weekend. We have a cabin in Tionesta. That twister went right behind our cabin. I remember the destruction it caused and I can't believe our cabin survived !

Also: Do you know if you can walk down below along the creek?
    Rich
  • Options
    fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2011
    Nice Photos. Did you get a shot looking down through the glass?
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2011
    Thank you for looking and commenting. I was not able to get a good shot through the glass. All fogged up when we were there. It was a very foggy and cold morning that day.
    fjcvisual wrote: »
    Nice Photos. Did you get a shot looking down through the glass?
    Rich