Options

More Oakland photos

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited February 19, 2012 in Street and Documentary
They love Fox News down at the protest.
MG0736-1-L.jpg

I think this guy actually made his point.
MG0868-5-L.jpg

Another well informed protester.
MG0806-1-L.jpg

This Laura Wells who was the 2008 Green party candidate for governor of CA. I found her to be a happy upbeat individual, not withstanding her residence on another planet.
MG1111-1-L.jpg

Mary Jane in action.
MG1160-1-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    NmahoochNmahooch Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2011
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2011
    dig the last one !

My only other comment is, Wife and I went to Occupy LA couple weeks ago and both of us
    immediately felt thrust back to 1964 - 69 !
    I'm not so sure that we as a people should be going backwards ne_nau.gif

I will say though that my Little 1960's RF camera did feel right at home :D

I promise not to make any more none photographic comments
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
    They have been so bored with life...
    These type folks have been so bored with life since they no longer have the Vietnam War to protest about...
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
    Thanks for sharing your photos.

10 % of 287 billion is only about 30 billion dollars . A small welfare cheque considering all of the other welfare money Corporate America has received in the recent past or is it Chinamerica however, I cant see this fixing the problem for C.A. due to the fact that the U.S. owes so much money that even if it sold all it's assets it would be lucky to end up with a State half the size of Texas.
  • Options
    richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2011
    The 10% of 287 billions fixing CA's problem is just using the simple math that currently the budget deficiency for California runs from 15-30 billions, depending on who's counting and when. I have no opinion on the merits or workability, but that's where the figure comes from.
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,210 moderator
    edited November 3, 2011
    Folks, can we stick to only commenting on photography instead of politics, please?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2011
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Folks, can we stick to only commenting on photography instead of politics, please?

Hummmmmm....The photography is about politics?

Sam
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2011
    Exactly, Sam. Photographs of a political event are political photographs no matter how hard somebody might try to hide that fact.

But I'm going to stop commenting on PJ. Real photojournalism died with Gene Smith and was interred with Life magazine. It was murdered by TV and what's still called "film," even though that kind of "film" nowadays is done mostly with digital equipment. My real interest is in good street photography, and most PJ shots don't climb high enough to enter that rare atmosphere.There certainly are exceptions, and your #5 is awfully close to being one. Good shooting!
  • Options
    Maria IlivecMaria Ilivec Banned Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 19, 2012
    I loved the 2 photo. The message is ridiculous, but the the old hippy geezer made this photo look somehow interesting. If a "normal" person would hold this sign, Fox would already report that OWS is about executing the rich =)
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2012
    RSL wrote: »
    Exactly, Sam. Photographs of a political event are political photographs no matter how hard somebody might try to hide that fact.

But I'm going to stop commenting on PJ. Real photojournalism died with Gene Smith and was interred with Life magazine. It was murdered by TV and what's still called "film," even though that kind of "film" nowadays is done mostly with digital equipment. My real interest is in good street photography, and most PJ shots don't climb high enough to enter that rare atmosphere.There certainly are exceptions, and your #5 is awfully close to being one. Good shooting!

"Real photojournalism died with Gene Smith and was interred with Life magazine. It was murdered by TV and what's still called "film," even though that kind of "film" nowadays is done mostly with digital equipment. "

That is one of the silliest, least informed statements anyone has made on this forum since its creation. The combination of digital photography and the Internet has elevated photo journalism to heights never before imagined. Today, photographers even on smaller papers are able to pursue stories, and get space to display their work, that Gene Smith would have killed for, if he could have imagined it. No longer is newspaper shooting confined to grip and grins, and event shooting. And as for Smith - who was a true genius - much of his best work wasn't even published in his life time because there was no venue for it. No number of pairs of rose colored glasses can change the fact that LIFE came out once a week, not daily, and the majority of what it published was either quite mundane and predictable photo stories about high school proms and the like, or propaganda for Luce's pet political causes.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    Hummmmmm....The photography is about politics?

Sam

There is a difference, Sam, between posting photographs of a political event, and turning those photos into political statements with political captions. mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed