Options

Endangered California Condor BIF

shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
edited November 2, 2011 in Wildlife
While on Vaca in N. AZ, I was fortunate to see three California Condors in the Lee's Ferry area at Marble Canyon. I have seen them before around the Vermillion Cliffs area and Navajo Bridge, but when they are in flight, they are too far away, or just sitting on the bridge.
This time thru there were a couple condors just hanging around and little (9ft Wing Span) #73 came gliding in right below us. What a treat! Photos are not that clear, but I felt fortunate that I even grabbed a few snaps of him gliding in and landing on a rock outcroping just below us.

This is #73-273 A Male Calif Condor born on 4/23/2002 at the WCBP Peregrine Fund’s World Center for Birds of Prey in Boise, Idaho

The California Condor is one of the world's rarest bird species. In 1987, AC-9, the last wild condor, was captured. There were only 22 condors in existence, all in captivity. As of April 2011, there are 394 condors known to be living, including 181 in the wild.
As of 7/18/09: 76 wild condors in AZ/UT (counting 413M/13 and both chicks)

Updated in Feb of 2011 there are now only 73 Due to motality from lead poisoning. Lead pellets left in dead animals by hunters are ingested by these birds causing elevated lead in their blood.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->Vaca-2011-2414-M.jpg

Vaca-2011-2427-M.jpg

Vaca-2011-2420-M.jpg

Vaca-2011-2429-M.jpg

Vaca-2011-2443-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    leilanimrleilanimr Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2011
    Fine captures and great story too! :D
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2011
    clap.gif Congrats on getting these captures. I can imagine the thrill of being able to see them
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2011
    I will second that Harry .I have seen them at the animal park in SD and at the LA zoo ,but would love to get one in the wild . Great job thumb.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2011
    leilanimr wrote: »
    Fine captures and great story too! :D

Thankx Leilani, I am not much of a bird Tog, but wanted to share these.
    Harryb wrote: »
    clap.gif Congrats on getting these captures. I can imagine the thrill of being able to see them
    jwear wrote: »
    I will second that Harry .I have seen them at the animal park in SD and at the LA zoo ,but would love to get one in the wild . Great job thumb.gif

Harry & Jwear, when in the Southwest enjoying the wonders of northern AZ, be sure to stop at the Historic Navajo Bridge, there is usually at least one of these creatures sitting on the struts beneath the bridge at Lee's Ferry. I was just happy to finally see one in flight. You can loose prspective of the size of this bird when seeing them in such an expansive habitat.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 2, 2011
    Congrats on the fine captures Shawn. A 9' wingspan is one ginormous bird. Sorry to hear the news that their population is declining. Too bad hunters couldn't be forced to use rock salt shot. That way if the condor eats an animal that's been shot, the meat would be seasoned rather than poisoned. Fat chance of that ever happening though.