Options

Managing one JPG's color for both web and print

LelandLeland Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited November 2, 2011 in Finishing School
Hey Everyone!

When I post files with perfect colors for printing anywhere on smugmug (or anywhere else on the web) there is that color-shift that happens (mainly reds over-saturated). So far I've been running all my files intended for web through an action to correct this, but if those were printed the reds will be undersaturated. I want people to see great skin-tone online -AND- see the exact same skin-tone on the print.

Surely there is a way to not sacrifice one for the other, what is the work around on this, I have absolutely no clue what other photographers are doing.

All my work is in sRGB. In photoshop I have 'Monitor RGB' selected under 'View,' 'Proof Setup.' That reflects how the print will look, but to see how it looks on the web I turn on 'Proof Colors' (under 'View').

I use Explorer because that's what the overwhelming majority of my audience uses (not Firefox or Safari).

Thank You all for any suggestions you can offer!

Comments

• Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
    Have you calibrated your monitor? I have no red shift when exporting to the web.
  • Options
    PeanoPeano Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
    Leland wrote: »
    All my work is in sRGB. In photoshop I have 'Monitor RGB' selected under 'View,' 'Proof Setup.' That reflects how the print will look ....

I don't think so. To see how the print will look, you need to soft-proof using a specific printer profile. When you soft-proof using "Monitor RGB," that shows you how your monitor will render the colors.

In any case, you need to calibrate your monitor.
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
    Peano wrote: »
    When you soft-proof using "Monitor RGB," that shows you how your monitor will render the colors.

On your display in a non color managed fashion. Not on any others system however. That’s impossible. Photoshop would have to have that display/graphic system and profile hooked up to your system.

Photoshop and all ICC aware applications can show you what the numbers should look like for everyone using a calibrated and profiled display with those numbers. Or it can show you what those numbers look like on your system in a non ICC aware application. But not elsewhere.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/