Occupy DC

Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
edited November 5, 2011 in Street and Documentary
In lieu of a bunch of good photos of Occupy, here are my amateur musings to draw your criticisms:

IMG7328-copy-XL.jpg

IMG7382-copy-XL.jpg

IMG7388-copy-XL.jpg

IMG7397-copy-XL.jpg

IMG7402-copy-XL.jpg

IMG7406-copy-XL.jpg

IMG7456-copy-XL.jpg

IMG7469-copy-XL.jpg

9. Favorite.

IMG7479-copy-XL.jpg

DAT NOISE. Criticize away.

Comments

• bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    All Good , nothing to criticize.................... well :D
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    bfjr wrote: »
    all good , nothing to criticize.................... Well :d
    i demand comments, bfjr.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    These are great...more to my liking. Oh how I miss D.C.!
    tom wise
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    i demand comments, bfjr.

Demand really doesn't work with me to well.

However I was serious that there isn't much to criticize, it is a fine set.
    If anything I would of posted fewer images.
    edited November 4, 2011
    bfjr wrote: »
    Demand really doesn't work with me to well.

However I was serious that there isn't much to criticize, it is a fine set.
    If anything I would of posted fewer images.

Well I apologize for being demanding; thank you for the suggestion. :D
  • richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    OK, I'll try: they are all technically good. All IMHO of course, the most interesting would be the ones with the group meeting but both miss the shot: the first one there's not enough faces and the second one she's not looking at you right, if you know what I mean. #9 has a story there, so it's good. #8 could have a story, needs a bit more. You have the techniques for sure, go get even more shots!
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram
    edited November 4, 2011
    richardman wrote: »
    OK, I'll try: they are all technically good. All IMHO of course, the most interesting would be the ones with the group meeting but both miss the shot: the first one there's not enough faces and the second one she's not looking at you right, if you know what I mean. #9 has a story there, so it's good. #8 could have a story, needs a bit more. You have the techniques for sure, go get even more shots!

Thanks a lot richardman, I appreciate these insights.

Could you go into a little more depth with missing the shot on #5 and #6. I thought #6 was pretty intriguing, but that could be due to a variety of things I suppose. What do you feel is really missing?
    edited November 4, 2011
    It's just my opinion of course, so take it for what it's worth: #6 to me misses two things: first look at the guy on the left on her in #5 (her right, our left). If he's like that in #6, that's a stronger picture as it adds more depth of information. Second, her look just doesn't feel like that "I am engaged" type of look, e.g. like in #9.

The solution of course, is not to use photoshop to achieve those two things :-), but to either watch just the moment or keep shooting. Don't bother chimping, you won't notice these sort of things until you see it large on your screen.

Again, my humble opinions.
    edited November 4, 2011
    It's just my opinion of course, so take it for what it's worth: #6 to me misses two things: first look at the guy on the left on her in #5 (her right, our left). If he's like that in #6, that's a stronger picture as it adds more depth of information. Second, her look just doesn't feel like that "I am engaged" type of look, e.g. like in #9.

The solution of course, is not to use photoshop to achieve those two things :-), but to either watch just the moment or keep shooting. Don't bother chimping, you won't notice these sort of things until you see it large on your screen.

Again, my humble opinions.

Thanks for the clarity, and I agree, I wish I had gotten all the parts together at once. The first shot is right as I walked up and then #6 was just a few moments afterwards, but the guy sitting next to her got up immediately after the first shot.

I didn't want to wear out my welcome, so I moved on after a few shots. I guess I should've waited around a bit longer, and I think they would've ignored me eventually anyway.

What is chimping?

Thanks!
    edited November 4, 2011
    Believe me, all of us street photogs have the same feeling that at any moment, someone would take offense and yell at us or beat the heck out of us :-)

Chimping == looking at the back LCD to see if you have gotten the shots.
  • RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    #1,. Nothing. Just a guy talking. No story. Not real street photography.

#2. A real so-what? Just a girl in a weird piece of clothing.

#3. Another so-what. A guy with ripped pants eating a sloppy meal.

#4. Again, nothing. A guy with a coffee cup, plate and fork. So what?

#5. Now we're getting somewhere, but not far. The questing glance of the guy in the background leaves us wondering what might be going on, but there's not enough else in the picture to make it a very good street photo.

#6. Ahh. Now we've got something worth posting. The light on the girl's face and her expression leave us wondering what's going on and why she's looking up at the guy in front of her that way. It's the light that makes this a worthwhile picture. It's a borderline case, but it's street photography.

#7. A street performer. So what?

#8. Almost, but not quite. Two kids in front of a bike. One wonders what they're talking about, but not much.

#9. Again, nothing. A guy who happens to be standing in front of the camera. A security camera could have made this picture.
    edited November 4, 2011
    Believe me, all of us street photogs have the same feeling that at any moment, someone would take offense and yell at us or beat the heck out of us :-)

Chimping == looking at the back LCD to see if you have gotten the shots.

That is something I am getting better about, it's bitten me square on the rear so many times I've learned my lesson.
  • RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    Sword, I hope you won't take my criticisms too personally. You're doing exceptionally good work from a technical standpoint but you need to dig into the list of "masters" that Richard posted as a sticky list at the beginning of this forum under "Tips, threads, etc..." to uderstand what makes a real street photograph. Study the masters. You'll find that a picture of somebody on a street isn't necessarily a street photograph. I spent some time on Street & PJ a few months ago, decided it was nothing but a snapshot dump for people who wanted back-pats from other snapshot dumpers, and dropped off. But now I think the problem is that nobody is willing to be "judgmental" enough to make serious criticisms. I'll undoubtedly be kicked off before long, but in the meantime I intend to try to remedy that problem as best I can:

#1,. Nothing. Just a guy talking. No story. Not real street photography.

#2. A real so-what? Just a girl in a weird piece of clothing.

#3. Another so-what. A guy with ripped pants eating a sloppy meal.

#4. Again, nothing. A guy with a coffee cup, plate and fork. So what?

#5. Now we're getting somewhere, but not far. The questioning glance of the guy in the background leaves us wondering what might be going on, but there's not enough else in the picture to make it a very good street photo.

#6. Ahh. Now we've got something worth posting. The light on the girl's face and her expression leave us wondering what's going on and why she's looking up at the guy in front of her that way. It's the light that makes this a worthwhile picture. It's a borderline case, but it's street photography.

#7. A street performer. So what?

#8. Almost, but not quite. Two kids in front of a bike. One wonders what they're talking about, but one doesn't wonder much.

#9. Again, nothing. A guy who happens to be standing in front of the camera. A security camera could have made this picture.

Keep working at it. You've mastered the technology. Now you need to master the art.
    edited November 5, 2011
    RSL wrote: »

Thanks, I really felt something on this photo too. The more I look at it, the more I agree with what you're saying about it, over the others.

This made me laugh a good bit, and I am sincerely considering making it my signature. You're right...it does appear that way.