Options

Scanning 2x2 Slides

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited November 5, 2011 in Finishing School
I have a box of 2x2 slides or negatives that I'm trying to scan and am unsuccessful. I'm using the Epson V600. I've tried every thing that came with the scanner to put the slide onto. Even tried setting it under those plastic holders since it's bigger then usual. There is one piece I can fit it onto, but can't put the cover of it down .. It's the 'B' plastic section that comes with it. Really no need for the cover since the slides are in a cardboard frame.

If I set it to positive film only the sky scans. If I turn it upside down I get the ground :D But I can't get the whole photo. If I do color neg or bw neg I can get the whole photo, but that's useless since it scans in a 'negative'.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2011
    you need the cover down , because of back-light
    - you did remove the white thing from the cover to reveal the light ?? -

mayby the slide-holder is in wrong position
    http://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/prv6ph/prv6phug/set2_2.htm

if the dimension of the slide is not supported by the Epson-plastic ,
    you select the area manually , in the preview window
    you do this with a rectangle marque
    http://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/prv6ph/prv6phug/scan1_9.htm#S-00700-01700-00400
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2011
    are you following these instructions: http://tinyurl.com/3gc79sk

It does seem that Epson reiterates the removing of the document mat thru out the instructions.

Good Luck.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited November 5, 2011
    Laughing.gif .. yes I have the white thing removed rolleyes1.gifI laugh only because I did forget it when I first starting scanning slides.

I'll play with the Selecting the Scan size some more. I did try it, but just couldn't get it correct. When I looked again at the color or bw neg that I tried and could get the photo .. I was wrong ... I wasn't getting the whole photo. It had cut off part of the sky.

What I find really strange is ... I can scan a slide/neg that's the same size .. 2x2 without the cardboard framing around it and it comes out good.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    are you following these instructions: http://tinyurl.com/3gc79sk

Howdy Art :D

Yes I have, but I'll continue trying ... Just posted that it works without the cardboard framing on my other 2x2's headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2011
    This is what I can come up with ...

This one is a 2x2 without cardboard framing. I scanned it in Color Neg. mode

i-7zw6435-L.jpg

These are the one's I'm having problems with. Loading them into the same holder as the one that came out correctly. Only they have the cardboard framing on them.

Scanned in Positive mode. You can see I only get the sky. If I flip the photo I get the ground. The black is the cardboard around the slide.

i-Q2bLxJW-M.jpg

And then I scanned it in BW neg mode and get this. I get more of the photo, but not all of the sky. It's useless since it's still a negative. The white is the cardboard around the slide.

i-r68XkB9-M.jpg

For some reason it's not reading it right. Only thing I can come up with is the cardboard framing, but I could be wrong on how I'm thinking.

These with the framing are important to me ... my first trip to Yellowstone :D
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2011
    in preview window , select normal tab instead of thumbnail
    then you should see everything
    there you draw marquee rectangles

look at the second link i gave

also
    make sure the plastic frame is in correct position
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2011
    basflt wrote: »
    in preview window , select normal tab instead of thumbnail
    then you should see everything
    there you draw marquee rectangles

look at the second link i gave

also
    make sure the plastic frame is in correct position

The Normal viewing needed to be opened and then I was able to get the slide to show up. Many many thank yous for your help :D

Feel totally stupid, but I had tried that. Must of had something set up wrong for it not to show up. I really like this scanner, but if one thing is off .. I'm off and asking for help :D Should of kept track of all the variables I tried that were wrong rolleyes1.gif

One more question for if you don't mind .. how can I open these into Camera Raw since they're jpegs?

Again .. thank you ... you've been my saving grace in getting these slides scanned.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2011
    i dont mind , thats what a forum is for !!!!

you sent JPG and TIFF to ACR with Bridge
    simply right-click your image in Bridge and select ; open in Camera Raw
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2011
    basflt wrote: »
    i dont mind , thats what a forum is for !!!!

you sent JPG and TIFF to ACR with Bridge
    simply right-click your image in Bridge and select ; open in Camera Raw

Thanks again :D