Options

Scan or take a photofraph?.

oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
edited November 5, 2011 in Technique
I dont know where to post this so here goes. My local vintage club has asked all of their members to bring in any old photographs to their next meeting for me to copy for a inclub book. I think most of these will be sepia or black and white. My question is should i photograph each photograph or bring along a scanner and play it safe?
Kind regards
Patrick Mullan.:scratch

Comments

• Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    I would recommend bringing the scanner. From what I understand most scanners have a light element by the scan head to keep the lighting consistent during the scan. With a camera it would not be as easy to accomplish.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    I have been copying a lot of my old photos by shooting a copy on a copy stand using 2 speedlites (SB 900's)
    and it seems to be working great for me.....PLUS ...it gives me an 8mp raw file to work with.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited November 5, 2011
    I think both techniques can have merit.

Small photos are easily scanned, but photos too large for a standard legal sized scanning surface can be photographed. Light the surface with two soft box type flashes 45 degrees off axis, and you may be pleasantly surprised how nice a result you can get straight out of your camera. Set your camera white balance for flash, or create a custom white balance for the best result.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2011
    also I forgot...DOF..set lens to its shallowest ...like f2.8 or what ever the largest aperture is for your lens....the reason i chose shooting my prints over scanning was, I was needing to get images that could be printed at large sizes and mostly because I wanted RAW files to work with rather than a bunch of overly large TIFF files hanging around.....

The main trick to shooting the old photos is having them flat and square in the viewfinder......i just make sure one edge is on the edge of the viewfinder and make sure it lays flat, i back roll it if it is curled at all......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited November 5, 2011
    Why do one need the shallowest dof for a flat print, Art? If you shoot 2 or 3 stops smaller than wide open say f5.6 or so, your lens will significantly sharper, and since you are using flash and a stand to hold your camera, shutter speed is not a factor.

I agree that it is important to have the print flat, and perfectly at right angles to your lens axis.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2011
    I find that I am picking up the weave of the paper....even on glossy items.....and that was one reason I sent to shooting a copy rather than scanning.
    I ran into the same thing during my film days....so far my focus has been great ... ... no softness problems as of yet ... ... ...

• Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2011
    i would go for the scanner
    after all , we live in a digital era

scanners get higher resolution than any camera , and produce no fake reflections , and is faster too