Options

Chicago Camera Store Recommendation, Anyone?

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
edited September 28, 2005 in Accessories
I am going to be visiting Chicago in a couple of weeks and was wondering if any Dgrinners could recommend a good camera store, either downtown or in the northern suburbs (I will be based in Evanston). I live in Spain and am trying to take advantage of my trip to buy some stuff that is a lot more expensive here. I am ordering the major items online, but I also want to get a bag, some filters and other smaller items in person.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2005
    All the local shops I've seen in the Chicagoland area are way more expensive than on-line.

A couple in the area are
    Calumet Photo
    Lagrange Photo Video

I have never been to Calumet but I know some people on DGrin have ordered from them on-line and have had good experiences.

I go to LaGrange Photo because it is close to my house and have a lot of Canon Lenses in stock that most other places don't. I think they are also overpriced as far as filters and accesories go.

David_S85 may be able to give you some more suggestions, he is also in the Chicagoland area.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,210 moderator
    edited September 26, 2005
    Chiming in...
    gluwater wrote:
    All the local shops I've seen in the Chicagoland area are way more expensive than on-line.

A couple in the area are
    Calumet Photo
    Lagrange Photo Video

I have never been to Calumet but I know some people on DGrin have ordered from them on-line and have had good experiences.

I go to LaGrange Photo because it is close to my house and have a lot of Canon Lenses in stock that most other places don't. I think they are also overpriced as far as filters and accesories go.

David_S85 may be able to give you some more suggestions, he is also in the Chicagoland area.

Calumet is one of the places I go, but I've never been to the Chicago downtown store. They have a smaller location up in Bensenville, just south of O'Hare Airport near Rte. 83.

The Helix downtown store is also supposed to be great, but again, I've only been to the suburban stores.

I actually like the smaller camera stores, prices notwithstanding. Usually, they'll deal with you if they know they might lose a sale to the internet. Items such as filters, etc., then internet is the place to go; unless you whip up a big package deal, which is what I've done locally a couple of times.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited September 27, 2005
    Thanks Nick and David. I, too, prefer online, but a bag is something I need to see and touch before buying even if that means paying a bit more.

Cheers.
  • Options
    NappaloniaNappalonia Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited September 28, 2005
    Try cental camera, I go there on my lunch hour sometimes to browse, Ritz is about a block or two away.

http://www.centralcamera.com/
    http://nappalonia.smugmug.com/gallery/580776

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    20D :clap
    Canon
    18-55
    85 1.8 :wink
    Tamron
    28-75 2.8
    Sigma
    70-300 DG APO Macro
    30 1.4:thumb