Options

Tablet vs Laptop

Daddy0Daddy0 Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
edited November 6, 2011 in Digital Darkroom
With the coming intro of W8 and hopefully some new improvements on the iPad(allowing outside storage - peripherals), do you guys think the tablets will be a viable solution to run LR instead of having to use a laptop? I would be using it more as a field display. Naturally I would be using the desktop for the majority of the work. Just asking for opinions! I could use a tablet for work, just trying to cover 2 jobs with one purchase!!:D
Jimmie D.
www.focusedonyourmemories.com

What you see depends on what you're looking for.

Comments

• Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2011
    I plan on getting a Win 8 tablet to replace my laptop. I'll need to wait a while for prices to go down under $500, though. I know they won't be as powerful, but they'll be much more portable, and hopefully have good battery life. Hopefully LR and PS will work well with a touch interface.
  • Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2011
    I just purchased the ASUS Slate EP121 (I think that is the model number). It has an i5 processor and I am running LR on it with no problems. I debated about getting a cheaper laptop, and an ipad versus just this.
    I think this is cool, but the ipad still has many more applications that cannot be replaced with a laptop. I still may end up getting an ipad anyway.
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2011
    In my experience, it makes a great portfolio viewer to show people your photos. It's great for a lot of other stuff too, but it also doesn't match a laptop in a few areas.
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2011
    MomaZunk wrote: »
    I just purchased the ASUS Slate EP121 (I think that is the model number). It has an i5 processor and I am running LR on it with no problems. I debated about getting a cheaper laptop, and an ipad versus just this.
    I think this is cool, but the ipad still has many more applications that cannot be replaced with a laptop. I still may end up getting an ipad anyway.

Just wondering what you think of the usability of LR with touch? Is it simpler than on a traditional laptop? Easier to use? Seems like it would be good for editing, easier to carry along than a laptop.

What kind of applications does the ipad have that the Asus tablet/windows doesn't?
  • Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2011
    I like the stylus when moving around in LR better than the mouse. I am not a wacom user, so this is new to me. I actually do limited processing the field, and save that work for my desktop machine. I will keyword, use the slideshow, and for posting while on the road. I have loaded PS also, but have not used it yet on this machine.

As for missing, the main app I have in mind is the squareup credit card purchasing. I have not had the slate for long, so I am still learning what I can and cannot do.
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2011
    MomaZunk wrote: »
    I like the stylus when moving around in LR better than the mouse. I am not a wacom user, so this is new to me. I actually do limited processing the field, and save that work for my desktop machine. I will keyword, use the slideshow, and for posting while on the road. I have loaded PS also, but have not used it yet on this machine.

As for missing, the main app I have in mind is the squareup credit card purchasing. I have not had the slate for long, so I am still learning what I can and cannot do.

I have looked at the Toshiba Thrive since it has the ability to plug in a USB and mini HDMI, along with a full size SD card slot. Has anyone else had any experience with this tablet?
    Jimmie D.

• Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    Saw this thing on groupon. Seems like a cool little machine. I wonder how these android ones compare to the iPad? I like the holes this toshiba has. USB, SD, and HDMI? Killer. It could be cool.
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2011
    Zerodog wrote: »
    Saw this thing on groupon. Seems like a cool little machine. I wonder how these android ones compare to the iPad? I like the holes this toshiba has. USB, SD, and HDMI? Killer. It could be cool.

The iPad would be my first choice if it would allow for external storage. I love my iPhone. It now runs my life. I would just like the ability to use the iPad to download photos, etc, but with the actual storage on an external 500gb drive. Otherwise, it's one more thing to do to get them off and not clog up memory. Maybe we'll have that ability in the near future!:D
    Jimmie D.

• Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    Could I download from my CF card to some type of an iPAD type of device. Is there any that allows an external hard drive to be connected?
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2011
    rpcrowe wrote: »
    Could I download from my CF card to some type of an iPAD type of device. Is there any that allows an external hard drive to be connected?

So far the Toshiba Thrive is the only one(I think) that has a full size USB slot. I haven't had the chance to use one yet, but it looks as if it has all the necessary tools to be top notch tablet.
    Jimmie D.

• Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2011
    Daddy0 wrote: »
    With the coming intro of W8 and hopefully some new improvements on the iPad(allowing outside storage - peripherals), do you guys think the tablets will be a viable solution to run LR instead of having to use a laptop? I would be using it more as a field display. Naturally I would be using the desktop for the majority of the work. Just asking for opinions! I could use a tablet for work, just trying to cover 2 jobs with one purchase!!:D
    I use iPad AND a laptop. When I want to run computer programs like LR the laptop is the only option. Sounds like you need something like the MacBook Air - a real computer, great screen, and very light.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2011
    The USB, HDMI, and SD slot on the Toshiba are nice, but it runs Android. I don't think you can run LR or PS on Android. Android and iOS are fine for phones, but if you want to run LR/PS on a tablet, I'd wait for Win8.
  • Options
    MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2011
    Tablet vs. Slate vs. Laptop etc.
    What is being discussed here are three different types of devices. For simplicity sake, I'll define them using mostly common terms:

Tablet - this includes iPads, Android tablets, HP Touchpad, and the like. They are driven by touch (fingers) and are primarily media consumption devices. The user experience is designed really well for fingers, such that scrolling and other actions are fluid and easy to use by people with hands of different sizes. While the hardware is optimized for this activity, the operating system is also matched to the hardware. For photography, tablets are a great tool. Perfect for showcasing your portfolio, and also have limited productivty capabilities with the many applications designed for them. Personally, I think it is an essential tool for a professional photographer.

Slate - this is the term that Microsoft has thrown around to describe tablet PCs that run Windows 7 and below, these include the ASUS Slate EP121 and the new Samsung Series 7 Slate. These devices allow for touch (fingers), but also have an Active Digitizer that allows pen input. Slates and Tablet PCs are desigend for content creation. Just like how tablets consume content really well, but are just "okay" at creating content, Slates are the opposite. They are great for content creation, but are just "okay" for consuming media, compared to an ipad, etc. Because they're based on Windows 7 (or earlier), the operating system isn't tuned for touch in the same way a tablet is.

[Active Digitizer vs. Touch - touch screens are activated by the pressure of your finger on the screen. An active digitizer can also read pressure on the screen, but primarily uses an electronic field accross the screen and a pen that has a microchip in it. The combination of the two allows the computer to "triangulate" the location of the pen with very high percision. There are other features of such devices including the ability of the backside of the pen to act as an eraser, etc.]

Laptops/PCs/Macbooks - No explanation needed.

The reason I wrote this is because unless you have personal experience with the three different types of devices, it is easy to be confused at how each works and what the pros/cons are. And it's about to get even more difficult - because when Microsoft releases Windows 8 next year the Slate type of device will be a true combination tablet and PC with apps that rival iPad/Android apps, but still able to run all of the Windows software you use today.

So - to the OP's original question, here is my advice:

Get a Tablet if you want to be able to show off your work, use cool apps, and be very mobile and portable.

Get a Laptop if you want to create content, manage catalogs of creative works, and use sophisticated applications such as LR3 and PS CS5.

Get a Slate if you're adventurous or want to create content using a pen, and have "some" capabilities of a tablet (but in a limited form - trust me).

For me, I own:
    iPad - use it for some specialty apps (photography) and sharing photos, light email, etc.
    Galaxy Tab 10.1 - use for watching movies and playing games
    Laptop - use it for work (i'm a technology consultant by day)
    Samsung Series 7 Slate - this is my new main machine (using it now) for LR3 and light PS CS5 and OnOne suite programs. I LOVE the touch screen and being able to mask and edit using a pen vs. a mouse.

Hope somone finds the above helpful.