Options

JDRF Fund Raiser

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited November 13, 2011 in People
A few weeks ago, I ask you all to give some input on a fund raising event I would be doing. Well, it was last week. Just to recap, it's an annual thing at work. We have a fall festival where employees are invited to bring their family and friends. At the festival, there are different activities, most free but some require a donation to the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation. I setup something like a photo booth last year. I was asked to do it again this year.

Again like last year, I had issues with the setup. I won't go into details but let say the event coordinators didn't come through with the setup we discussed. I made due with what I had, AGAIN, and managed to raise close to $800. Not bad since I was providing an 8x10 print for a $10 donation!

Here are a few of my favorites. Nothing to write home about but I think they turned out pretty good.... especially for $10, that I don't get a dime of.

A
JDRF-Halloween-2011-1-X2.jpg

B
JDRF-Halloween-2011-16-X2.jpg

C
JDRF-Halloween-2011-12-X2.jpg

D
JDRF-Halloween-2011-57-X2.jpg

E
JDRF-Halloween-2011-54-X2.jpg

F
JDRF-Halloween-2011-40-X2.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2011
    Very nice!!! What did you run for post on these. Looks like a cross between tonal contrast and portraiture...
    What a steal for $10....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2011
    Thanks. No portaiture... Well, I did run it on 1 photo of a gal with blotchy skin. All the others I ran a couple actions I created. Not that sharpens and adds contrast. The other is a curves adjustment that pushes the overall brightness of the shot. Maybe 5 min avg on each, times 89 images.... Yes, it's a steal.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2011
    I think these turned out great! thumb.gif
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2011
    Clean frames and wonderful expressions. That's very good in my book!

Considering the conditions, I think you did very well. Congrats on raising so much money for such a good cause! clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2011
    They look good to me...a hair bright...but probably a good idea, keeps you from having to fine tune all the exposures.
    Hope you enjoyed the day!
  • Options
    ZauiZaui Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited November 7, 2011
    Love the Hellboy costume!
    zoomer wrote: »
    They look good to me...a hair bright...but probably a good idea, keeps you from having to fine tune all the exposures.

If they were getting prints on-site, you probably want to start a little bright anyway. Prints always seem to be darker then what I see on a monitor.
    Scott Catron - Sandy, Utah
    PPGFlickrWikimedia Commons
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    Very nice and I love the processing.....seniors would love that style.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2011
    Thanks guys.

I think I'm way too critical of myself because I've gotten nothing but really happy responses from everyone. Actually, I received a really nice email from the President of our company. I took a photo of her and her four kids. She said it was the best photo they've ever had taken of them and she wanted to know how to order more copies. I'm flattered but I have to admit that my first reaction was to be a little sad for her because she has four kids and makes 7 figures but my average photo is the best she's had taken. headscratch.gif

I guess thats me being overly critical again.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    mjordanphotomjordanphoto Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    Thanks guys.

I think I'm way too critical of myself because I've gotten nothing but really happy responses from everyone. Actually, I received a really nice email from the President of our company. I took a photo of her and her four kids. She said it was the best photo they've ever had taken of them and she wanted to know how to order more copies. I'm flattered but I have to admit that my first reaction was to be a little sad for her because she has four kids and makes 7 figures but my average photo is the best she's had taken. headscratch.gif

I guess thats me being overly critical again.
    Well then, it's high time they had a professional portrait session, from a photographer they trust to get good results... oh wait, YOU can offer that! :D

Some great work here - they are so all so much FUN!
  • Options
    LeonieLeonie Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2011
    These are wonderful, have to love the girl with the pigtail plaits :) As a parent of a child with T1 diabetes thank you for getting involved and fundraising for a great cause :)
    ~ Keep it simple ~

Smugmug Gallery

Team Hannah
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2011
    Leonie wrote: »
    These are wonderful, have to love the girl with the pigtail plaits :) As a parent of a child with T1 diabetes thank you for getting involved and fundraising for a great cause :)

It's my pleasure to help out as much as I can. I work for a major medical device manufacturer in their diabetes division. I'm going on my 14 year with the company. One major reason I have stayed for this long is the fact that the devices we produce help to improve the lives of people living with diabetes. I've run across many people that wear are devices and have heard their personal accounts on how our product has improved their quality of life. It's quite rewarding to know that some how, I've contributed to making it a bit easier to live with such a terrible disease.

We just had the JDRF Walk at Dodgers stadium last weekend. It was their that our president present the check to JDRF from the money that us employees raise. I don't quite remember the exact figure, but it was over $350,000. Pretty darn cool. Hopefully a cure for T1 diabetes will be found one day soon.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    LeonieLeonie Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2011
    That's an incredible amount of money raised, thank you!
    ~ Keep it simple ~

Smugmug Gallery

Team Hannah