Options

Settings for taking moon shots.

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited November 7, 2011 in Technique
I was considering taking a few shots of the full moon. I would really appreciate if someone could give me some advice on the type of lens I should use on my 7D. I was considering using the 50-500 bigma!
Also what would be the best mode to use and shutter speed, aperture and ISO. I take it I should use my tripod and shutter release.
Cheers
Bob

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited November 7, 2011
    There are a ton of threads on taking moon photos in this forum. Use the "Search this Forum" function and simply use "moon" as the search target.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited November 7, 2011
    Short answer - moon is a sunlit object, so set your camera on Manual Mode ( since your meter will not give a reliable exposure for the moon ) on a tripod, and set your exposure according to the Sunny 16 rule. Adjust to taste from there, but sunny 16 will get you pretty close for a full moon.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2011
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Short answer - moon is a sunlit object, so set your camera on Manual Mode ( since your meter will not give a reliable exposure for the moon ) on a tripod, and set your exposure according to the Sunny 16 rule. Adjust to taste from there, but sunny 16 will get you pretty close for a full moon.

Thanks Kdog and you too Pathfinder for guiding me in the right direction which I appreciate.
    Cheers
    Bob