Options

The slopes are my street

IslandcrowIslandcrow Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
edited November 8, 2011 in Street and Documentary
OK, technically not a street shot since I wasn't on the street, but it seemed appropriate enough for this forum. To the upcoming snowy season, here's one from my local ski slope last year. . .

1170740697_PFqwa-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2011
    Crow, The fact that you weren't on the street has nothing to do with whether or not it's street photography. The fact that it's just a picture of two people, one of them drinking out of a plastic glass has everything to do with it. There's no story there. Yes, the snow is falling, but that's hardly a story that turns this into street photography. Technicallyi it's quite good, but that doesn't really help.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2011
    Gotcha. I think I see what you're saying. I'll give that some thought. . .I think I may have another that's going more the direction you're pointing. Thanks.
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2011
    I'm not a big fan of the selective color thing as presented. However, I think it's a pretty cool (no pun intended) image of what I'm assuming is dad/daughter, and I'd bet they'd be proud to have that image in their collection of one of those captures before they're all grown up.
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2011
    I normally don't do selective color, but the background was a bit too busy for my taste, and I wanted a way to mute it. I actually did chat with them both afterwards and sent them a copy of the picture. I'm more of a landscape photographer, and I may be looking at my street photography a little too much in that context where it's all light, color, lines and chaotic symmetry. Important elements in street photography as well, no doubt, but that personal element. . .the "story" is obviously a driving force that I'm still trying to capture. Honestly, some of the photos that the rest of you seem to really like, I just don't get (though others I very much do), but I'm certainly open to different views of photography, and I may just not yet be seeing some of the complexities that I will eventually come to appreciate.