Options

Real Estate Headshots?

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited November 10, 2011 in People
Been approached to do some Real Estate headshots for business cards, advertisments and the like. I've looked a bit online and they all seem to be shot in Studio on dark BGs and some on white. I don't think I saw any environmental/location shots.

Is that the norm? Any suggestions?
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    Most real estate headshots are boring at best, atrocious most of the time, because real esate agents (by and large) don't want to spend money. They're used to paying next to nothing to have someone run through a listing and take a bunch of shots, run them through PSE to straighten them up, so they can be posted small-sized in a multiple listing website. If you can make it worth your while to do a whole office at one time, go for it. Otherwise they'll likely gasp at your pricing. You, on the other hand, are a craftsman with standards far above theirs.

Now I'm sure I've pissed off a whole bunch of realtors on DGrin. I heartily apologize for possibly hurting your feelings.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    Thanks for the reply. This guy is actually willing to pay me what I am asking, which I don't think is cheap. I've asked $350. Included is the session and two poses that are fully edited. I will take at least 30 shots for him to choose from. He can order more fully edited shots at $40 each. I'm giving him the electronic negatives on the edited shots he chooses, no printing.

He told me he wants something that looks good and is professionally done. He understands the importance of first impressions and presentation. He may use the shots on mailings in addition to business cards. I figured my charge on my time and also what I would charge for regular headshots.

BTW, I should mention that this gig came out of my JDRF fund raiser I did a week ago. Its the brother of one of the employees. He brought his kids to the event which I photographed.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    I've asked $350.

You're worth it. I only charge $225. :D
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    You guys have me beat. I charge $150 for the rights to one file.

I always ask them what type of bkg they like. To me a darker background makes their face stand out more than a white background and you want the viewer to see the face first. Battleship grey is a great background color to work with.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    Icebear wrote: »
    Most real estate headshots are boring at best, atrocious most of the time

SO true! So I am so glad to hear and perhaps see some decent results. I Hate most head-shots I see of these folks, because they are like you say! So go Cuban!
    tom wise
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    edited November 8, 2011
    I think there are several uses for head shots and which you use depends on how it will be used.

For example; a professional publication might want to see a 'standard' done on a dark background. But for the office flyers and what not, the environmental might be a better choice--at least that's my opinion :D I really think the environmentals can be done well and provide a great alternative to the standard head shot.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2011
    I know prices vary based on geography and here in LA, my price is not the cheapest but its on the lower side when I compare to other photogs that I think I compare to in quality. I think he wants studio style portraits. After looking at other business sytle headshots, I'm gonna go with a dark BG, either black or gray or some shots in both to give him a choice. I will talk to him about doing some environmental shots for other purposes as Ian suggested. Not sure if he has an office with a desk that we could use as well. Not sure.

BTW, $150 Chuck? I'd pay twice that for you take my photo. You do great work man. Maybe its the area your in but that would be a steal here.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    I've seen plenty of RE headshots that are environmental. Really depends on the use and the image they want to convey. Environmental tends to be more open and inviting. Dark bg is perceived as more professional and serious. White bg can be a nice compromise -- more cheerful and open than a dark bg but still professional. Since you're offering 2 poses, you could go in studio and do a dark and a light bg, which might be good so he has alternatives for mailings, flyers, biz cards, etc.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2011
    Thanks Brett. I may throw in some environmental shots for him to choose from if we can pick a location close by.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    I have done a couple offices - no sitting fee to do the whole office and each shot (original size download) priced at $69.99 (since I know realtors are cheap - my brother runs an office, lol). I have had one purchase a shot and then called me up to thank me for the size of the file as he was able to use it on a large banner he had made, said his shot was like 3 feet by 4 feet. He then told me he referred me to another office who I plan to call the manager soon.

It ain't a lot of money, but i'll take it.
    Lee Wiren