Options

Louisiana Black Bears and Acorns--lots of ways to eat them!

PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
edited November 9, 2011 in Wildlife
For the first time in years, we have seen Louisiana Black Bears on our property--two different ones we think. They were munching on acorns under the southern live oaks in our yard, and so entertaining to watch. All but the first were shot with a 500mm lens from a considerable distance. Hope you enjoy the photos of our rare visitors. Best, Pam

1. This bear looks smaller than it was, I think because we took the photo from the front seat of an SUV looking down. This bear exhibits one conventional way to eat acorns.

2011-L.jpg

2. This sight really made us laugh. This bear scooched forward about 6 inches at a time, eating all the acorns in front of it before moving forward another 6 inches. Why waste energy standing up?

2011-L.jpg

3. I guess this bear thought there were more acorns to be gotten from the branches than the ground. These next 3 photos aren't too good, but the subject is funny. This was a skinnier male bear that we saw only twice.

2011-L.jpg

Usually you like to include the subject's head in your photo, but . . .

2011-L.jpg

2011-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    tshaddicktshaddick Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    Beautiful creatures. I wish they would show up in my backyard.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    I love that first image. Outstanding work on the exposure.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    Very enjoyable set, Pam. thumb.gif

Real nice catch on that first one...he doesn't look small to me.:wow
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2011
    tshaddick wrote: »
    Beautiful creatures. I wish they would show up in my backyard.

Thank you! I wish they would show up in our yard more often than every 15 years, too! I hope the reason we are seeing more of them is that the Black Bear Recovery program is showing good results. Best, Pam
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2011
    Harryb wrote: »
    I love that first image. Outstanding work on the exposure.

Well, thanks for teaching me about exposure, Harry! First about the white egrets, and now about the black bears! I also used the NIK software you recommended on the first image. Best, Pam
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2011
    Ric Grupe wrote: »
    Very enjoyable set, Pam. thumb.gif

Real nice catch on that first one...he doesn't look small to me.:wow

Thank you, Ric. He, actually, I THINK it is a she, looks small only compared to a lucky shot we got from a tripod from a low angle. Seeing that photo, some of our wildlife savvy friends from West Texas suggested the bear was so fat it must have escaped from a circus, which was quite the insult to our home grown bear! Best, Pam