Options

CF Card recovery?!

l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
edited November 9, 2011 in Digital Darkroom
Hi all, haven't spent much time in this part of the forum, but I figured it would be the best place to ask for help..

A few weeks ago I had two sessions back to back (sisters and their families) so Family A had a session, Families A and B took shots together and Family B had a session over the course of a few hours. When I got home, I was dumping the pictures to my computer and somehow it froze up and wouldn't send anymore to the computer or to the camera. I let it sit for a few hours and it still didn't move. Stupid me was *moving* the pictures, not *copying* the pictures (Lesson 1 learned) so there's no chance of getting them back that way. On the way out the door to the next session, (forgetting I had plenty of backups in my bag) I grabbed the memory card out of the camera (thought to shut off the computer first so the connection would be dropped) and left for the next session.

The evening's session is on the card and working perfectly when it comes time to edit, the morning's session... not so much. It seems like "half" the picture is on the card and "half" is on the computer - yet the computer has the files listed as .cr2 but Photoshop and Photo Mechanic are refusing to open them. For obvious reasons I haven't cashed their checks yet, but either way, I need to let them know the problem or cash the check (when I'm 110% sure I have all of their photos).

Any cheap (preferably free) programs out there that give me a chance of getting the shots back? I can't exactly re-do it due to the sessions being 8 hours away from me. I'm using a Mac (I do have access to a PC if there's a PC only program out there) and I shot them all in RAW (which seems to be harder to recover than any other format)

Thanks so much guys!
~Lauren

Comments

• Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2011
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2011
    jww wrote: »
    You might check out this thread. :)

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=209198

Glad to know it's not just me. I'm reeeaaalllyyy tight for cash (photography is more of a paid hobby than my job and I hardly get a serious amount of cash from it) so I'd like to find something that's as close to free as possible.

Apparently, on a Mac shooting in RAW, it seems to limit the amount of free programs that are out there :(
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2011
    I broke down and bought this: http://www.photo-recovery-software.com/

It did show me all of my files (including ones I'd deleted off the card from the day before) before I spent a dime, so that was a bit of assurance that it wasn't all talk.
  • Options
    WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2011
    madison,
    What a horrible feeling that must have been :uhoh
    Looks like you have a solution. If not I got a "free" card in my last Lexar CF card for their recovery software.
    Gary
  • Options
    jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    I broke down and bought this: http://www.photo-recovery-software.com/

It did show me all of my files (including ones I'd deleted off the card from the day before) before I spent a dime, so that was a bit of assurance that it wasn't all talk.

Try this: http://www.filehippo.com/download_recuva/ It's free, and works for me. It will also recover music, text and videos as well...
    Have a good day,
    Jim...
  • Options
    brancaleonebrancaleone Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    Card recovery
    jgoetz4 wrote: »
    Try this: http://www.filehippo.com/download_recuva/ It's free, and works for me. It will also recover music, text and videos as well...
    Have a good day,
    Jim...

So far nothing worked for me, I have a SD corrupted card, I can see the thumbnails but when I go to "save" I get the unreadable message. I'll keep trying.rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    So far nothing worked for me, I have a SD corrupted card, I can see the thumbnails but when I go to "save" I get the unreadable message. I'll keep trying.rolleyes1.gif
    That's interesting. I have recovered pictures from reformatted hard drives and 2 reformatted compact flash cards with no problems. You should be able to see whether the file can be saved, or has been over written. Good luck thumb.gif
    Have a good evening :D
    Jim...
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    Try Zero Assumption Recovery. Has worked both times I needed it to, I think it's z-a-recovery.com and it's free for image recovery!