Options

Faulty Memory Card

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited November 9, 2011 in Finishing School
In the event of a digital memory card failing. Does anyone know of a free software to recover the lost images. I am always worried that this will happen one day and I would like to know if there is a way to recover them.
Cheers
Bob

Comments

• Options
    jjbongjjbong Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    canon400d wrote: »
    In the event of a digital memory card failing. Does anyone know of a free software to recover the lost images. I am always worried that this will happen one day and I would like to know if there is a way to recover them.
    Cheers
    Bob

There may be free programs, but I've never found one when I've needed it. Most will let you download a free version that will show you which images it can extract, but not actually extract them. You have to buy the real version for that. Usually not that much.

Here's one example:

http://www.diskinternals.com/

There are lots of others. My advice is to wait until it happens and then look. If you're lucky, you'll never need to do it.
    John Bongiovanni
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2011
    jjbong wrote: »
    There may be free programs, but I've never found one when I've needed it. Most will let you download a free version that will show you which images it can extract, but not actually extract them. You have to buy the real version for that. Usually not that much.

Here's one example:

http://www.diskinternals.com/

There are lots of others. My advice is to wait until it happens and then look. If you're lucky, you'll never need to do it.

Thanks for that. And Yes I am keeping my fingers crossed but the number of people I have talked to have experienced this and it has been quite devastating. I am wanting to be prepared so thanks for all your kind help.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2011
    Seems silly to worry about a few bucks when you have thousands and thousands invested in your art and craft. Buy a program when you need it, Bob. And if you have to spend a few quid, so what? Worry about more important things :)

PS: here in the states there are many firms that specialize in recovery of cards - I'm sure you could find one in Scotland too, if the need arose.
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2011
    Why I love SanDisk cards. Usually comes with a free code for RescuePro. Even when the code expires, I renew it in a heartbeat. Just too important NOT to have the software handy when you need it.

Heck.. at $59.99 the software costs less than the card in most cases!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Seems silly to worry about a few bucks when you have thousands and thousands invested in your art and craft. Buy a program when you need it, Bob. And if you have to spend a few quid, so what? Worry about more important things :)

PS: here in the states there are many firms that specialize in recovery of cards - I'm sure you could find one in Scotland too, if the need arose.

Bob may not have a few extra quid...the economy is bad here and it could be a lot worse in his part of Scotland...and yes there are many recovery firms in the US ....the ones I have found charge by the MB or GB ...not the amount to be recovered but by what the drives / cards capacity is....

Lexar still puts Image Rescue on their top tier cards also.....a very good recovery Program...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited November 6, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Bob may not have a few extra quid...the economy is bad here and it could be a lot worse in his part of Scotland...and yes there are many recovery firms in the US ....the ones I have found charge by the MB or GB ...not the amount to be recovered but by what the drives / cards capacity is....

Lexar still puts Image Rescue on their top tier cards also.....a very good recovery Program...

Thanks everyone for your replies. You are probably right I am worrying in advance. If I was confronted with this problem and the desperate need to recover the important images cost would probably not come into it. I will keep my fingers crossed.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2011
    jww wrote: »
    Why I love SanDisk cards. Usually comes with a free code for RescuePro. Even when the code expires, I renew it in a heartbeat. Just too important NOT to have the software handy when you need it.

Heck.. at $59.99 the software costs less than the card in most cases!

I have used Rescue Pro and it worked very well. I also got it free with the purchase of a SanDisk Extreme Pro SD card. Funny, I haven't had any problems with the cards that I got the free software with.headscratch.gifD You can get them for about $26 right now at B&H BTW.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2011
    cbbr wrote: »
    You can get them for about $26 right now at B&H BTW.

Wow! They have really dropped since I last bought one! thumb.gif
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2011
    Look for ZAR, Zero Assumption Recovery. It's free for image recovery and it's saved my a$$ a couple times when no other programs have even come close!

ETA: I'm recovering now and Its found most of my images from Saturday, thankfully.. SInce I downloaded them and then went on to accidentally delete them off my server. This is after I formatted and had a small shoot yesterday on the same card!

Website is www.z-a-recovery.com
  • Options
    brancaleonebrancaleone Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    Card recovery
    As I posted before I have a SD Sandisk Ultra 16g that even the paid version of Photo Recovery was not able to open the files, I see the thumbnails but no way to save the files. I'm ready to move on and put down whatever it takes to recover those files. Can anybody suggest a reliable rescue service?

Thank you.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 9, 2011
    Tallyn's Professional Photo Supply does image recovery.

My wife had a Hyperdrive that did not want to share the image files stored on it after we got back from Africa, and Scott Tallyn was able to salvage all the files. Andy recommended them to us.

The work was done quickly, and reasonably.

We received the Hypedrive and a loner HDD with the image files that my wife was missing in just a few days.

I see that Transcend is now offering RecoveRx image recovery software here - http://www.transcend-info.com/Support/DLCenter/DLSoftware.asp?ID=5&Func1No=11&Func2No=182

I have not used it, but I do like the Transcend 16 and 32 Gb cards quite a bit.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin