Options

OK, So noone liked the headless fly...

HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
edited September 27, 2005 in Holy Macro
nor the musical bug? How about a mantis in your face, up close and personal. The first one was shot using all three Kenko extensions in conjunction with the 100mm macro. This shot is full frame, no cropping. All adjustments were done in RAW. Shot with a single light source using a doubled over paper towel as a flash diffuser.

Up Close
49885814.jpg
Canon EOS 20D ,Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
1/250s f/9.5 at 100.0mm iso200 with Flash - Using all three Kenko extensions

A little too scary. How about an XRay of this lovely lady. Actually, its just a flash held at 11 O'Clock to backlight her. She was trying so hard to please, but I could see right through her hardened exterior at her softer side:D.

XRay Mantis
49885815.jpg
Canon EOS 20D ,Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
1/250s f/9.5 at 100.0mm iso200 with Flash - Using all three Kenko extensions

There is some minor blooming and fringing. I tried to remove it in RAW processing but seems I still have lots to learn. A different take on the bug macros that I hope you enjoy. More to come later.

Comments are always welcome, but only if they are nice (JK:D).
Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited September 27, 2005
    Chris, I liked your headless fly - maybe the mantis could have been just a hair sharper to make it easier for a slow fellow like myself to identify it.

These images are interesting - shooting that high a mag really takes great technique - the DOF is nex to nil. Good job - I like mantises too - just have not tried to capture them this closely. Well executed. I like the transparency of the second image particularly.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    Wow. You know I sold my macro lens because I realized how difficult it is. But you've got both hands tied behind your back with those extension tubes. And you still knocked 'em out. Nice.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    Great pics- Like both of them esp pic#2- that looks really sinister.
    Brian V.
  • Options
    pathfinder wrote:
    Chris, I liked your headless fly - maybe the mantis could have been just a hair sharper to make it easier for a slow fellow like myself to identify it.

These images are interesting - shooting that high a mag really takes great technique - the DOF is nex to nil. Good job - I like mantises too - just have not tried to capture them this closely. Well executed. I like the transparency of the second image particularly.
    Hi Path,
    I was actually joking around with the title of this post. And after seeing your macros, you're anything but slow:D. Those other ones were my attempt at artsy/whitty macros. I agree that the mantis in the background could have been more in focus but I was hoping the title might help give it away.

The rest of these shots are more of a scientific/documentary pixs and not artsy. I do have some better fly and mantis shots and of course the obligitory Praying eating prey shots. It's fascinating how these mantis' work. I need to so some research into how the eyes work. I would notice the black dot following my camera,yet the eyes are fixedheadscratch.gif.

I kinda cheated for these extreme closeups. I had the camera tripod mounted and had my wife hold the flash in different locations. I would move the setup to get her into the proper focus and have my wife trip the shutter. The hardest part would be getting her into the frame before she moved; I could have used a few more sets of hands (advantage of being a spider). She was getting quite comfortable with me and became more active as the session went on unil I finally gave up.

The second one is one of my favorites because it's so different.

Thanks for your comments and looking,
    Chris

• Options
    DavidTO wrote:
    Wow. You know I sold my macro lens because I realized how difficult it is. But you've got both hands tied behind your back with those extension tubes. And you still knocked 'em out. Nice.
    Hi David,
    Thanks for the comment. Yep, those tubes really bring them in close and are a real bear to use. The extension tubes make it very front heavy. At one point, I got lucky and caught my camera before it hit the table as it swung down on the tripod.

Thanks again David,
    Chris

• Options
    Great pics- Like both of them esp pic#2- that looks really sinister.
    Brian V.
    Hi Brian,
    Yeh, kinda reminds me of an old scifi movie. DejaVu. I think we had this conversation awhile back. You know I love macros and this was just a little twist. (ah, found the thread ) (Kaos gets credit for the movie "Five Million Years to Earth).

I have more shots that I'll post, but I don't think any are as cool as #2. Oh well.

Thanks for commenting,
    Chris