Options

Why Am I Having Such A Hard Time

bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
edited November 12, 2011 in Street and Documentary
Every time I've tried to delete this image (and there's been several) my left brain won't follow through.

Anyone got an idea why?

FishTank-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2011
    ...it's not you. It's the wicked evil bearded black caped sorcerer behind the girl. Look close and you'll see him. deal.gif

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited November 11, 2011
    you want to delete it from this post or the entire thread?
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited November 11, 2011
    Angelo wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, Ben, but I think the question applies to the pic, not the Dgrin thread or post.

I sympathize. This was a close miss--the expression is good and there's a certain incongruity there, but the composition doesn't really work and nothing is in focus. There is something there, but for me it's not enough. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2011
    M38A1 wrote: »
    ...it's not you. It's the wicked evil bearded black caped sorcerer behind the girl. Look close and you'll see him. deal.gif

It's as good a reason as any :D
    Angelo wrote: »

Neither, but always enjoy seeing a comment from you.
    Richard wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, Ben, but I think the question applies to the pic, not the Dgrin thread or post.

I sympathize. This was a close miss--the expression is good and there's a certain incongruity there, but the composition doesn't really work and nothing is in focus. There is something there, but for me it's not enough. ne_nau.gif

Yes & Yes.
    You made it much easier to push the delete button, maybe I should use both hands rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2011
    bfjr wrote: »
    You made it much easier to push the delete button, maybe I should use both hands rolleyes1.gif

Yeah, and then you can spend the rest of your days wondering why you deleted it since a few Mb on your hard drive never hurt anyone... :cry

But all of us face this dilemma. Something indefinable catches a response that you cannot put into words. It's not a great photo, it's not this, it's not that. But if you are can't bring yourself to delete it, then don't. Cuz later on you will hit upon what it is and you will have to come back to the street/PJ forum to see it... rolleyes1.gif You have thousands of others you probably should delete as well, so leave this alone for awhile...
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2011
    rainbow wrote: »
    Yeah, and then you can spend the rest of your days wondering why you deleted it since a few Mb on your hard drive never hurt anyone... :cry

But all of us face this dilemma. Something indefinable catches a response that you cannot put into words. It's not a great photo, it's not this, it's not that. But if you are can't bring yourself to delete it, then don't. Cuz later on you will hit upon what it is and you will have to come back to the street/PJ forum to see it... rolleyes1.gif You have thousands of others you probably should delete as well, so leave this alone for awhile...

Sound advice but Thousands, Oh I see you've been to my Galleries rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2011
    bfjr wrote: »
    It's as good a reason as any :D

Neither, but always enjoy seeing a comment from you.

Yes & Yes.

Ben

Did you like the photo ? I thought their was something their and so did you and others.
    What is that something? Is it the fact that it was oof and that she blended in with the background and yet the composition some how separated her from the viewer and the back ground .

I myself would not delete something based on the opinion of someone else .eek7.gif
  • Options
    richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2011
    I was looking through the stack of Lenswork I bought from someone and on the back of the issues in 2004, there's this fine art photographer guy that specializes in out of focus picture. Think your picture and even more oof. The subject are recognizable enough but they are fuzzy.

Those photos drive me nuts. For all I know, he's making millions selling each print, but it's like one of those optical illusion prints that will slowly drive you eyes to fatigue.

Yours is like that :-). Somewhat enticing just because it's just enough in focus but not really. So don't delete it, but don't post it either. Unless you have 10 of them :-)
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2011
    This should help you decide: http://news.yahoo.com/record-photo-sold-auction-set-nyc-182745446.html

Yours might be as good as this thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2011
    lensmole wrote: »
    Ben

Did you like the photo ? I thought their was something their and so did you and others.
    What is that something? Is it the fact that it was oof and that she blended in with the background and yet the composition some how separated her from the viewer and the back ground .

I myself would not delete something based on the opinion of someone else .eek7.gif
    richardman wrote: »
    I was looking through the stack of Lenswork I bought from someone and on the back of the issues in 2004, there's this fine art photographer guy that specializes in out of focus picture. Think your picture and even more oof. The subject are recognizable enough but they are fuzzy.

Those photos drive me nuts. For all I know, he's making millions selling each print, but it's like one of those optical illusion prints that will slowly drive you eyes to fatigue.

Yours is like that :-). Somewhat enticing just because it's just enough in focus but not really. So don't delete it, but don't post it either. Unless you have 10 of them :-)
    rainbow wrote: »
    This should help you decide: http://news.yahoo.com/record-photo-sold-auction-set-nyc-182745446.html

Yours might be as good as this thumb.gif

Thanks All for your time and comments
    Let me clarify how I mean delete - to me that means not for public viewing. I don't normally actually deleted (well not always :D).

To the image above. I asked for opinion/s here and only here because I've come to value them.
    I see your images and read your words, good enough for me.
    I am questioning my personal style/judgement on this one.
    I do see my style heading done a side road of late, especially since using film and an RF camera,
    and maybe that's all there is to it, different gear.
    For now I'll just stay on this road, see where it goes.

Ranibow's Link was particularly irritating, not about the $$$$ but little does he know that I was born in
    Offenbach a/m , maybe not far from where this shot was taken.
    Also did you notice the 2nd highest sale was an image Titled "Untitled", so that should end these silly "Title" wars rolleyes1.gif

Lastly I'm a little surprised no one mentioned the Fish !!
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2011
    I would keep it. Since everything is out of focus, nothing stands out. I have seen stuff in art books that are more out of focus and more uninteresting than this shot. Sometimes sharp is overrated. It creates a surreal picture. I think the reason you like it is because you see where this pic can take you down a different creative path and this is the template you will use.
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2011
    I think it's a style of sorts..... If you look at my post in this thread, you'll see I mentioned a bit of the fuzzy, off beat artifacts present in the fish shot. You've got others like this you've posted so there's something possibly sub-conscientiously working there. The fish shot here falls into the same category/style.

I know that's not a good way to describe it, but does anyone else see the pattern with some of Ben's shots?

• Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2011
    Ben, Apologies in advance for what might sound harsh... I think your better stuff these days is most likely seen and shot instinctually if sometimes technically weak. Your technically strong stuff doesn't normally have much emotional impact. It's as if you try too hard on those. I'll take the instinctual stuff any day.
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2011
    jonh68 wrote: »
    I would keep it. Since everything is out of focus, nothing stands out. I have seen stuff in art books that are more out of focus and more uninteresting than this shot. Sometimes sharp is overrated. It creates a surreal picture. I think the reason you like it is because you see where this pic can take you down a different creative path and this is the template you will use.

Problem for me is I've always felt more "Norman Rockwell" then any "Impressionest". However I'm on this path and I'm trying to work with it.
    M38A1 wrote: »
    I think it's a style of sorts..... If you look at my post in this thread, you'll see I mentioned a bit of the fuzzy, off beat artifacts present in the fish shot. You've got others like this you've posted so there's something possibly sub-conscientiously working there. The fish shot here falls into the same category/style.

I know that's not a good way to describe it, but does anyone else see the pattern with some of Ben's shots?

Yes of course I remember and still think on it. Agree that it is in the same vein. I have some others that I might post that carry the same vein to one extent or another. Honestly this just recently started to show in my work.
    michswiss wrote: »
    Ben, Apologies in advance for what might sound harsh... I think your better stuff these days is most likely seen and shot instinctually if sometimes technically weak. Your technically strong stuff doesn't normally have much emotional impact. It's as if you try too hard on those. I'll take the instinctual stuff any day.

Now here I think you hit upon something, while reading your words it dawned on me that a technically strong (well defined/in focus/ etc) seems stagnant to me. In other words to me life is always moving/changing and I do not want to freeze I want to show it somehow in a still (video somehow never moves me).

There is a more earthly reason, and it could be the gear I'm using. Since my eyes aren't what they used to be I do alot of zone focusing with this little RF shot in sutter priorty so I can get a deeper DOF.

Now my Brain hurts rolleyes1.gif