Options

the best camera between?

DyingRoseDyingRose Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited November 13, 2011 in Cameras
Hi all,

I am needing some advice... I'm wanting to try to get a new camera.. I've had an XT for a few years and it's time for a upgrade but I am on a budget.

Price range I'm wanting to stay under is $1300 ... I've always had a Canon, don't know a lot about Nikon and not sure how difficult it would be to figure them out but if I can get a better camera for that price than I can with Canon, I would consider giving it a shot.

Here's what I have found with Canon but I don't know which would be the best between them.

Canon 60D,
Canon T3i,
Canon 7D

.... All are without the lense except the T3i.

Also... if I decide on either, I was going to buy a lense as I don't see any reason to pay extra $150-$200 for a Kit Lense.

So if anyone have suggestions for lense that's under $400 (I like to have a macro if I can get one around this price.) but if anyone would suggest a good lense for around this price... I take mostly portraits, but I like taking wildlife shots too - though I only do this when I find time away from kids and able to go hiking. So if you can suggest a macro lens and a good lens for portraits, please do so!

If anyone can help me, please do so.

Thank you,
Lace

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2011
    For a standard zoom lens, can highly recommend the Tamron 17-50. The MkI can be found for ~$300 used, right around $400 new. GREAT lens for the money.

For portraits, either the 50mm 1.4 or 85 1.8 are terrific choices on a crop camera; both can be found for right around $400. My personal preference is to have a zoom + 1 fast prime in the bag. If budget won't stretch to either of the above primes, the 50mm 1.8 "thrifty fifty" (around $100) would make a great addition to the standard zoom for a wider aperture lens.

Canon T3i - the latest entry-level Rebel
    Canon 60D - good mid-range consumer camera
    Canon 7D - prosumer camera optimized for sports shooting, but a great all-rounder. Very customizable with lots of high-end "bells and whistles" which is great, but also makes it more complicated than the other two models.

Coming from an XT, you will probably be THRILLED with the 60d, which will save you a few dollars (over a 7d) to use for lenses - unless you shoot sports and need the added speed of the 7d, you will likely find the 60d offers everything you want and then some. My first dSLR was the XT so I know for certain that the improvement in handling, AF speed/accuracy and IQ you get will be significant!
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2011
    The T3i is part of the same model line as your XT, only newer. The 60D and 7D are higher-end. I'd go with a T3i or 60D, and spend all you can on lenses.

Macro, portraits, and some wildlife? You'll probably have to choose two out of three, if you want just one lens. The 70-200mm f/4L is great for portraits and some wildlife, but it's expensive, and it doesn't do macro. The Tamron 90mm f/2.8 (not sure about the exact model) is popular around here for being an excellent portrait and macro lens. There are a few photogs on here that own it.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,910 moderator
    edited November 12, 2011
    When you mention "kids" I have to question whether your XT/350D was able to keep up in terms of auto-focus/AF?

If not then the T3i may not be enough of an upgrade.

I too would like to stress lenses over body, especially since the T3i/600D, 60D and 7D all have similar imager quantities, except for readout speed. They also all have the Digic IV image processor, except that the 7D has 2 - Digic processors in order to handle the data throughput and higher frame rate.

The 60D does continue with the AF section of the 40D/50D from the previous of that line, where the T3i/600D has an AF section similar to that from the 20D/30D. The 7D, of course, has a much different and, arguably, the best AF section of that bunch of bodies.

I would also probably recommend a Canon 60D body, based on your comments and intended use, unless you really could afford a 7D without sacrificing on the lenses.

Also budget for one or two decent flashes. While you can do some types of portraiture with available light, including the use of reflectors, electronic flash with appropriate flash modifiers can make a tremendous difference in both candid shots and more formal portraits.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2011
    Ziggy, unfortunately Auto-Focus/AF would not want to keep up when shooting hyper kids (My son have ADHD along with other problems) and shooting pets especially, since I do this as a "small" business to make extra money on my days off of work. I'm sure some of you know how the focus/speed need to work good when it comes to shooting a kitten or a puppy, when they don't wanna be "still" for long. I forgot to mentioned this in my first post.

Also would you mind share your opinion with the flashes? As when I take portraits of cats/dogs, I have always used natural lighting.

When I mentioned this is my budget, it is to start off with at once... but I hope to add lense/flashes that I want within a few months. Why I mentioned all three that I want lenses for so I can get 1 of the lense now and another and another in a within a couple months apart. With it's being the holiday, I have to think about my kids before myself since I'm a single mom, but I want to get a good camera & lense for myself with the holidays coming up, because I find my XT isn't good enough.
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2011
    I also want to ask, I used to be on here a lot then I've been away for a while (prolly a year)... This site used to have a for sale group, is this group still available on here? Would it be good to look for "used" lenses on here?
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2011
    Yes I know the T3i is the same model line :)

At the same time of buying the body, I'd be buying only one lense, but I plan on buying more within a few months, reason why I asked what would be the best lenses for portraits, macro, and wildlife.

I will have to look up the 70/200mm and the Tamron 90mm to see. :) If anyone know the exact model to this lense, would you please post?
    The T3i is part of the same model line as your XT, only newer. The 60D and 7D are higher-end. I'd go with a T3i or 60D, and spend all you can on lenses.

Macro, portraits, and some wildlife? You'll probably have to choose two out of three, if you want just one lens. The 70-200mm f/4L is great for portraits and some wildlife, but it's expensive, and it doesn't do macro. The Tamron 90mm f/2.8 (not sure about the exact model) is popular around here for being an excellent portrait and macro lens. There are a few photogs on here that own it.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2011
    DyingRose wrote: »
    Ziggy, unfortunately Auto-Focus/AF would not want to keep up when shooting hyper kids (My son have ADHD along with other problems) and shooting pets especially, since I do this as a "small" business to make extra money on my days off of work. I'm sure some of you know how the focus/speed need to work good when it comes to shooting a kitten or a puppy, when they don't wanna be "still" for long. I forgot to mentioned this in my first post.

Also would you mind share your opinion with the flashes? As when I take portraits of cats/dogs, I have always used natural lighting.

When I mentioned this is my budget, it is to start off with at once... but I hope to add lense/flashes that I want within a few months. Why I mentioned all three that I want lenses for so I can get 1 of the lense now and another and another in a within a couple months apart. With it's being the holiday, I have to think about my kids before myself since I'm a single mom, but I want to get a good camera & lense for myself with the holidays coming up, because I find my XT isn't good enough.

The closing rate of active children and dogs can be greater than that of an "Indy'" car. In order to gain some consistency in AF accuracy you really need sports/action lenses and body. It also takes some techniques and experience to maximize your keepers.

You can also use some techniques to optimize your keeper rate by leveraging your knowledge of how ADHD children think and how dogs respond. In other words, "know your subjects". Become intimate with their activities and learn when you will gain maximum opportunities.

For now I suggest investing your entire budget into flashes and lenses. The strategy I would recommend is environmental portraiture to start. The Canon XT/350D still has enough quality to produce gorgeous portraits, but it requires the proper combinations of techniques, lighting and lenses (in pretty much that order). Use the income from that towards a new camera and additional lenses to use for your other photographic endeavors.

I suggest that you could purchase the following 3 - lenses with your current budget (note that I'm giving you 2 different sources for each item; your choice):
    Tamron SP 17-50mm, f2.8 XR Di II LD IF (A very nice standard zoom, capable of general photography and family events, as well as group portraits and some landscapes.)
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/423714-REG/Tamron_AF016C700_17_50mm_f_2_8_XR_Di.html
    http://www.adorama.com/TM1750EOS.html

Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM (A very nice lens for 3/4 length and full-length 1-2 shots, if you have the room. Handy for outdoors. Good bokeh.)
    http://www.adorama.com/CA5014AFU.html
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12140-USA/Canon_2515A003_50mm_f_1_4_USM_Autofocus.html

Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM (A very nice telephoto, great for head shots and head-and-shoulders. Also for wildlife that you can coax/lure/bait to be closer. Some sports/action activities.)
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12058-USA/Canon_2518A003_Telephoto_EF_100mm_f_2_0.html
    http://www.adorama.com/CA1002AFU.html

Add (ideally 2) - Sigma EF-610 DG Super flash(es) for Canon E-TTL II
    http://www.adorama.com/SG610EOS.html
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/741717-REG/Sigma_189101_EF610_DG_Super_Flash.html
    Now build some very inexpensive DIY flash modifiers (easy to build and less than $3-USD each)

That should put you at around $1600-USD (with a single flash). That's at your budget, but what I would recommend for a minimal portraiture kit. You could forego the 50mm, f1.4 and use the 17-50mm temporarily, but the prime has much better DOF control so I would want it rather quickly.

A lighting stand and umbrella bracket would also be early purchases, with a second flash.

While the 100mm, f2 is marginally suitable for fast-moving subjects, I would not expect a large number of keepers until you do the camera body upgrade, and then I recommend the Canon 7D for fast moving kids and pets. I suspect that, if you reinvest earnings you could get that body within a year. Still, the 100mm, f2 is probably faster to focus on the XT/350D body than what you probably have, so I encourage you to try. You'll gain valuable experience if nothing else.

You could also use the above to be a "second shooter" for weddings and events. Make no mistake, your existing camera and those lenses and flashes can produce professional results, with the proper techniques and some experience.

Post-processing is another factor to get the best results. What do you have for a computer and photographic software?
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2011
    DyingRose wrote: »
    I also want to ask, I used to be on here a lot then I've been away for a while (prolly a year)... This site used to have a for sale group, is this group still available on here? Would it be good to look for "used" lenses on here?

In our "Flea Market" we have the "House of Canon":

http://dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36

I have purchased used lenses and cameras here myself. The same rules apply to any used purchase from a third party:
    • There is some risk, and DGrin does not provide protection for either buyer or seller. The risk is entirely yours.
    There are dealers who sell used equipment with somewhat less risk (again, IMO):

www.KEH.com (They specialize in used photographic equipment.)

The "Used" departments of both:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Used-Equipment/ci/2870/N/4294247188?cm_sp=Banner-_-HomePage-_-BuyUsed
    http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=category&cat1=Used

All of these used equipment dealers have reliable ratings systems and return/exchange privileges (limited). I have purchased for these dealers and recommend them all. Adorama and B&H even have customer service representatives that stop in our forum. (Thanks Helen and Henry.) thumb.gifclap
    ziggy53