Options

Help with AF fine tune with Nikon D300

tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
edited November 13, 2011 in Finishing School
I am fine tuning my lenses to my cameras. (I don't know why it has taken me this long to do this.)

I have a Sigma 120-300 that seems to be back-focusing, so I thought that I should dial it in better.

Question--- is it normal for a lens to dial in at different numbers on different D300 cameras? I am assuming that is normal or we wouldn't hafta do this. The lens adjusts to -8 on one D300 and -20 on another D300.

Any thoughts?

I have yet to do my D7000.

Thanks,
Chris
http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
If it's locked... find an open window.

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 12, 2011
    I shoot Canon, but on my 7D and my wife's 7D, the micro adjust AF settings are dramatically different, so I think that is not that unusual. That is why each camera can benefit from micro adjustment, like you suggested.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    brianbbrianb Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2011
    The exact amount each camera/lens is off can be different, so I wouldn't worry about it. If a lens is off by a lot on multiple bodies, or the same body is consistently off by a lot (in the same direction) with multiple lenses, that particular lens/body may be more out of whack than normal and might need service/adjusted.

Brian
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2011
    I must have been kind to old ladies and kittens in a former life. I've NEVER had to micro adjust for any lens on any of my Nikons. Since I learned there was such a thing to worry about, I've owned three different bodies, and currently own (I think) ten lenses. I'm pretty sure I've checked the focus on all combinations, and never found an issue. Lucky me! clap.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.