Options

Gear suggestions for Hawaii

HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
edited November 13, 2011 in Location, Location, Location!
Hi all-

Taking my wife back to Maui after many years away. Looking to do some hiking and some photography on the journey.

Currently shooting a 5Dm2, but am not opposed to renting a body if there was some reason to.

Was sort of thinking about taking a 14-24 and a 70-200 lens. Don't want to go super heavy in gear, but want to have some bases covered.

Any tips from those who travel more frequently to the islands would be appreciated!
Camera: Nikon D4
Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800

Comments

• Options
    Stella7dStella7d Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2011
    Following this with interest!! We are also headed to Maui. Thought about taking my 16-35L and 100L macro with my 7d. :)
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2011
    Helvegr wrote: »
    Hi all-

Taking my wife back to Maui after many years away. Looking to do some hiking and some photography on the journey.

Currently shooting a 5Dm2, but am not opposed to renting a body if there was some reason to.

Was sort of thinking about taking a 14-24 and a 70-200 lens. Don't want to go super heavy in gear, but want to have some bases covered.

Any tips from those who travel more frequently to the islands would be appreciated!

I think you are pretty well covered.....I would want a lens that can at least close focus (most lenses marked as Macro are only close focus not 1:1 macro) like a Sigma 24-70f2.8....great lens and does the close focus real well ..........or the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 ....I just do not like gaps between 24 and 70mm even tho I shot with a 70-210 for many years as my only 35mm lens but once I got my 24-70 I could not be without it and that meant another body cause I hate changing lenses
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    A-1 BossA-1 Boss Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2011
    I would take a nice Point and shoot also. When my wife and I went to kauai we used the point and shoot alot because when you are at dinner and you hand your SLR to a waiter to take a pic of you they have now idea what to do it's also nice to just throw it in your pocket if your only wearing beach clothes plus if it gets stolen your not out as much money. I would also take some ND Filters for waterfalls and waves. Be really careful with your gear my wife's car was broken into twice in a week on Oahua.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2011
    Hi there. We are just back from our first trip since 2000.

I am a bit of a gear whore, and pack with a 'don't leave home without it' attitude. I never learn! This trip I took:

7D
    300mmf4
    1.4TC
    17 - 85mm
    70 - 200 mm f2.8
    50mm f1.4
    17 - 40mm
    Olympus underwater P&S
    the daughter's Sony P&S

What I used:
    7D
    300mm + 1.4 TC
    17 - 85
    underwater camera
    the daughter's P&S

which is really typical for me, since I like to find wildlife, and do sunset and other landscape stuff

The one thing I forgot, and really needed, was my tripod mount. Had the tripod, which of course was useless to me. It would have been very nice for sunsets.

Maui has changed for the better in the past decade, and we had a really great vacation! Wish I were still there, and hope to return soon.

Gallery - not yet complete. I also blogged about our activities, if you are interested in reading about our experiences.

Let me know if you have specific questions.

ann
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2011
    You're doing fine. One thing you might think about is a 12mm extension tube. It will allow your 70-200 to focus close, and you could get some awesome shots of flowers with a very soft bokeh. It's really small and light. You can get the 3 tube Kenko set. It's really fun to shoot like that, I find. Here are some examples:

[imgl]http://smugmug.com/photos/1242673726_3MsYQ-S.jpg[/imgl][imgl]http://smugmug.com/photos/827978870_DVaiC-S.jpg[/imgl]1242675767_wtDi4-S.jpg

Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    elgauchogrubelgauchogrub Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited May 6, 2011
    Point and shootv
    +1

You also might want to consider an inexpensive waterproof camera to take snorkeling. We bought an Olympus off Amazon for around $100 that let me catch some turtles and other reef fish.
    A-1 Boss wrote: »
    I would take a nice Point and shoot also. When my wife and I went to kauai we used the point and shoot alot because when you are at dinner and you hand your SLR to a waiter to take a pic of you they have now idea what to do it's also nice to just throw it in your pocket if your only wearing beach clothes plus if it gets stolen your not out as much money. I would also take some ND Filters for waterfalls and waves. Be really careful with your gear my wife's car was broken into twice in a week on Oahua.
  • Options
    goldenstarphotogoldenstarphoto Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2011
    Instead of starting a new "Maui" thread I thought I would revive this one.....heading to Lahaina the first week of December for 7 days. Any other Maui advice from those who have already been???
    Ann, loved your work in your Maui gallery!!