Options

Favorites (Thumbs Up)

kitkoskitkos Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited November 16, 2011 in SmugMug Support
I have a Gallery that shows the pictures that have received a Thumbs Up.
Some people are abusing this and selecting a Thumbs Up for crappy pictures.

I don’t want to turn it off but I would like to be able to go back and de-select the thumbs up from such pictures so they wont show in this gallery.
Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance,
Clayton

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    You can thumb it down, or you can replace the photo which will re-set the PhotoRank.
  • Options
    56Kruiser56Kruiser Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2011
    Is there a way to find the number of people who have clicked the Thumbs Up icon? I have looked in stats, and can't tell that I can see that. Couldn't find it in help either. And also, what happens with ranking if some folks press thumbs up, and others press thumbs down?
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    The thumbs up/down are part of our photorank and there are no details on how many votes a photo received. Thumbing up and down is one thing that influences the photorank. Read more on photorank here:
    http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93248-search-amp-browse
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    56Kruiser56Kruiser Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    OK. I was wanting to do a 'poll' on a particular library, and determine which of those were favorite. Looks like its not possible. When I do as the photorank page says, it provides info on all of SMugmug, not my site.

Thanks for the response.
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    I just recently started looking at Smart Galleries, and noticed that the popular photos can be tied into it. But there's something that's not clear.

While smart galleries will work on unlisted galleries, photoranks won't for the user homepage or smugmug's search according to the help page here:
    http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93248-search-amp-browse

To me that seems to imply that they may not work for smart galleries. ne_nau.gif

So my question is will photoranks still work for unlisted galleries as part of a smart gallery? headscratch.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2011
    SamirD wrote: »
    So my question is will photoranks still work for unlisted galleries as part of a smart gallery? headscratch.gif

Only if the smart gallery is public.
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Only if the smart gallery is public.
    So if the smart gallery is public, the galleries in which the photos are ranked are unlisted, images will show up in the smart gallery? headscratch.gif Just trying to clarify before I build a strategy based on this.
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2011
    And if the smart gallery is unlisted, what would happen? No photos would show up from photoranking? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2011
    And if the smart gallery is unlisted, what would happen? No photos would show up from photoranking? headscratch.gif

have you tried it? I haven't done that use case, I'd have to just try it myself, Samir.
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2011
    have you tried it? I haven't done that use case, I'd have to just try it myself, Samir.
    I haven't. If you could test it out, it would save me a lot of time.

The other test case would be to put the smart gallery into a sharegroup since it would be visible there event though it's unlisted generally.
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2011
    I haven't. If you could test it out, it would save me a lot of time.

Took me 30 seconds to do this, it works just fine, Samir.
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2011
    Took me 30 seconds to do this, it works just fine, Samir.
    Thank you Andy. It would've taken me 30 minutes to test it.

So just to clarify--the smart gallery, even when unlisted, showed photoranked photos from other unlisted galleries.
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2011
    Thank you Andy. It would've taken me 30 minutes to test it.
    I highly doubt this. 1-2 minutes max - and you would have had your answer immediately :D

So just to clarify--the smart gallery, even when unlisted, showed photoranked photos from other unlisted galleries.
    The smart gallery is PUBLIC - try it thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2011
    I highly doubt this. 1-2 minutes max - and you would have had your answer immediately :D
    Do you not remember the age of the computers I work with? I think it's a bit presumptuous of you to think you can assess my situation better than I can. rolleyes1.gif
    The smart gallery is PUBLIC - try it thumb.gif
    Is it too much to ask to either have COMPLETE documentation for the features on SM, or some answers so I don't have to test everything myself? headscratch.gif If it's too much trouble, just don't worry about it. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2011
    Do you not remember the age of the computers I work with? I think it's a bit presumptuous of you to think you can assess my situation better than I can. rolleyes1.gif
    Is it too much to ask to either have COMPLETE documentation for the features on SM, or some answers so I don't have to test everything myself? headscratch.gif If it's too much trouble, just don't worry about it. rolleyes1.gif

I have given you the answers, Samir. Every question you've asked. If there's an open question, let me know. I'm simply encouraging you to try it. And yes, I still say you could have done it in 1-2 minutes (that was a compliment in case you missed it!).
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2011
    I have given you the answers, Samir. Every question you've asked. If there's an open question, let me know. I'm simply encouraging you to try it. And yes, I still say you could have done it in 1-2 minutes (that was a compliment in case you missed it!).
    If you gave me every answer, then how come I still don't know if an unlisted smart gallery will pull in photoranked images from other unlisted galleries. headscratch.gif This is all I want to know.

I'm well aware of my own computing proficiency, but not with the equipment I'm forced to work with. I know you've got 8 core macs at your disposal that run SM perfectly, and you know the SM system better than I do. But beyond this, if the test cases were documented in the help docs as Gotchas or whathaveyou, I wouldn't have this question in the first place. I'm only having to ask because the documentation itself is lacking, which isn't my fault.

Like I said, if it's too much trouble to give me a straight answer, that's fine. I'll just scrap any plans to use the feature. I don't have time for pointless banter.
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2011
    If you gave me every answer, then how come I still don't know if an unlisted smart gallery will pull in photoranked images from other unlisted galleries. headscratch.gif This is all I want to know.

I'm well aware of my own computing proficiency, but not with the equipment I'm forced to work with. I know you've got 8 core macs at your disposal that run SM perfectly, and you know the SM system better than I do. But beyond this, if the test cases were documented in the help docs as Gotchas or whathaveyou, I wouldn't have this question in the first place. I'm only having to ask because the documentation itself is lacking, which isn't my fault.

Like I said, if it's too much trouble to give me a straight answer, that's fine. I'll just scrap any plans to use the feature. I don't have time for pointless banter.

Again, I was trying to compliment you Samir :D

yesterday when I answered you I was using an 11-inch Macbook Air, nothing very powerful mwink.gif

I did answer your question, yesterday, Samir. In post number 14, above. The Smart Gallery would need to be Public.

Holler back with any questions.
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2011
    yesterday when I answered you I was using an 11-inch Macbook Air, nothing very powerful mwink.gif
    That has more processing power than anything I have running right now, and more memory too. You really don't get how bad off some of us are...
    I did answer your question, yesterday, Samir. In post number 14, above. The Smart Gallery would need to be Public.

Holler back with any questions.
    I got this part, but you never addressed what if the smart gallery was unlisted and pulling photoranked images from other unlisted galleries--then what? Would it pull nothing? Would it be erratic? Will it call me names and tell me I'm crazy for trying this? This is what I need to know.
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2011
    That has more processing power than anything I have running right now, and more memory too. You really don't get how bad off some of us are...

I got this part, but you never addressed what if the smart gallery was unlisted and pulling photoranked images from other unlisted galleries--then what? Would it pull nothing? Would it be erratic? Will it call me names and tell me I'm crazy for trying this? This is what I need to know.
    NONE of this requires any processing power. You could do it on a 10 year old PeeCee.
    It won't work. Public.
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2011
    NONE of this requires any processing power. You could do it on a 10 year old PeeCee.
    It won't work. Public.
    In your world it does. I can't even create galleries without it taking a minute or so.

Public gallery won't work for me, so I'll have to table the idea for now.
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2011
    In your world it does. I can't even create galleries without it taking a minute or so.

I see new machines that are pretty powerful for under $300 at Best Buy. Isn't that a viable option?
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2011
    That's two months of groceries Andy. In 6 months, I'm going to have to terminate my SM account if things don't finally click. :cry