Options

DSS 90 Ducks

DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
edited November 19, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Ducks are my favorite thing glad they start with a D. Please let me know which one you like.
Thanks in Advance
CourtshipFlight3-L.jpg

LlanoSecoPair-L.jpg

CourtshipFlight2-L.jpg

CourtshipFlight1-L.jpg
Chris K. NANPA Member
http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    I like #2. :)
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    #2 is really nice. I also like the repetition in #1, but the head of the front duck is a bit lost in the neck of the BG one. If you could tone down the one in the BG a bit, I might like #1 better.

I admire all of these shots. I have not yet gotten any shots I am proud of of birds in flight.
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    I like #2, then #1. Nice shots and there's humor in #2. GP
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    :hide I'm going to be the odd one out.

I'm really drawn toward #3. I love the light you captured. DOF is nice too. The only thing I'd do is clone out those two swimming ducks in the left corner.
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    I would have to say I like #1 best.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    Another master bird photographer... I prefer #3 out of this set... #2 looks motionless, I like seeing some movement in the wings, #1 has it but the other in focus ducks head is blocked...
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,198 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    I'm liking #3 also, but the swimming ducks don't bother me. I kind of like that there are swimmers and flyers in this image.

Sherry
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2011
    Nos. 1 and 2 made me say "wow" (especially #1). Love those! #3 is nice but the ducks are a bit out of focus and seem chaotic. I like #4, but there is something about the close-ups that makes the first two stand out.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,950 moderator
    edited November 19, 2011
    I like them all, with the close up shots pulling me into the frame to take in every detail. One is my favorite but I'll comment on each one:

#1 my favorite - has the feeling of movement and grace, lovely background, great detail & color on the bird in focus (also like shadow on the wing)
    #2 like the light, the clarity and the composition but the ducks feel "heavy" with the shape we are seeing + the position of the wings
    #3 lovely colors and light, interesting to see the variety of positions (as they are not in sync with each other)
    #4 wonder whether this one is straight and how it would look cropped a bit at the sides and tilted just a bit to the right

Great subject!
    Gretchen
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2011
    Really love the smooth background in #1 as well as the colors & crispness of the birds - my fav. Not thrilled with the lead OOF duck taking away from the focussed one - maybe could be minimized by lightening the background duck so the head of the crisp one stands out more. Also like #2, but something about the comp is not as appealing to me as #1.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    divmedic4divmedic4 Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2011
    I really like the detail of the closest lead duck in #1 and also find great comedic value in his trailing partners position. When being judged, I am not sure of the appearance of the buried/chopped off head. With that said, even though #2 also has awesome detail, I think #3 would be my choice. I like the way the formation leads my eyes. Even though there are 2 swimmers in the lower left, the one in the upper right offsets them for me. I would be pleased to have gotten all 4.
    Canon 7D, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS, EF 50 1.8 II, 430EXII

Tom