Options

Lens fungus question

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited November 20, 2011 in Accessories
I have an old (1980s) Canon 70-210 lens - it's push-pull model. Sadly, it appears to have developed fungus. I know it's best to store them separately, but is there any risk of transferring fungus to a *camera* if it is used?

Here's the story: a friend lost *everything* in an apartment fire (it started in the unit below hers, but her unit took the brunt of the damage). She desperately wants to get her kit back together - she's a dog trainer and was in the middle of a project which is going to be turned into a book/calendar - but, as she's now homeless in San Francisco and all money is going towards finding somewhere for her and her three dogs to live and re-establish their home, camera gear is WAY down the list.

Somebody passed on their old 20d to her, but she needs lenses to be able to use it (and if anybody has an old kit lens they want to donate, then by all means let me know!). My thought was since I can't sell this lens and I don't use it any more, I'd like to send it to her, but I don't want it to cause her problems in the long run by damaging the camera or other gear she acquires.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 13, 2011
    Personally, I would avoid using a contaminated lens, Diva.

I have no experience with a lens contributing to fungus contamination in a camera body, but basic microbiology says that this lens will be a source of spores, and I would not want to mount it on my camera, nor store it with my lenses.

Usually if you can see significant amounts of fungus, the lens is no longer great optically either.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2011
    Thanks Jim. On your advice, I abandoned the idea - probably best, I suppose, although I'd been hoping it would be a "aha! I can help out!!" solution. Ah well....

However, I'm very glad I posted this thread since an extraordinarily kind dgrinner read it, and has offered to donate some gear. Heart is beyond warmed, and it once again reinforces what an amazing community dgrin is iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    Sorry to hear about the friend Divamum. I have nothing to offer except best thoughts since I'm relatively new myself, but my question, since this is older lens, and I have read glass was pretty decent back then or is that wrong? Would it be worth getting it serviced? Or would the cost be prohibitive for this lenses value? I have read that push-pull, either you love them or hate them? Just meandering thru my mind lol. Thanks beforehand
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2011
    It was a GREAT lens once upon a time - it was my first serious lens after I got my Canon EOS 1000FN (which came with a Sigma standard zoom, so it was my first "real" Canon lens, as well) and I have a silly sentimental attachment to it, hence why I've held onto it as long as I have. I think I bought it in about 1996, and it was probably 10 years old then!

It's entirely useable and gave me some decent pictures over the years when I still used it, but I'd say modern digital sensors "outresolve" it; I used it on my Rebel XT (in fact, that lens is the reason I stuck with Canon - I figured I'd be "good to go" since I "already had plenty of lense" HA!!) and it was ok, although it didn't seem to offer me the sharpness I remembered from when I was using it with film. I now understand why that's the case; at the time I was slightly confused :D

It's resale value is only about $120, so I'm not sure if it would be worth getting it repaired, if Canon even CAN repair it. Ziggy - do you know? It's this one.
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    The 70-210 is not a bad lens, from what I remember (reading a bunch of reviews of older lenses). I think it's about the same as the 100-300 that I have, which really isn't that bad (but digital sensors do outresolve the 100-300 as well). Here's a good page about the 70-210 and the 70-210 USM: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/eos/EF-lenses/EF80200mmf28L/index1.htm

The thing about push-pull zooms is that you can zoom and manually focus with your hand at the same time. They are susceptible to zoom creep.
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    Wow, thanks for the replies. I learn something everytime I visit this forum lol. Back to the setting the lens in a sun facing window, I wonder if a UV light would do the same thing, only quicker? All ears here.