Options

More Leaves n' Light

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited November 21, 2011 in People
Got another crack at some pretty autumn light today - the leaves are nearly gone, but it was still a lovely afternoon. Headed outside was the sun was getting lower (2.30-3ish) and played around some more with shooting into the light, addressing some of the issues I encountered in the last session, and also tinkering with some different (for me) styles of processing :)

C&C always welcomed! :thumb

i-5TqKNbh-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited November 19, 2011
    Same shot texturized:

i-QX9fBKd-L.jpg
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    Nice pose, although I prefer the first picture. I am not sure about the light setting and if you used a fill-in flash. I have the impression you didn't. Hence the bright background.
    Was it the intend to have it like this with so much brightness ?
    I would have lowered the brightness on the background. But that is just my view.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    I like that second processing! Great natural Hair light.
    tom wise
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    Of the two I tend to favor the processing on #2. However I do agree with D3 on the lighting as it does not shape the face enough.
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2011
    Thanks guys. Had to check the exif - I was using fill flash, but I shot a few of these in fast sequence, and this is one of the ones where it DIDN'T actually fire, according to the exif.

The processing pushed the brightness even further - it was indeed intentional.

I'm trying to push myself to try some different things both while shooting and in post. I've been relying on "tried n' true" a lot, and recent experimental shoots (all for myself thus with leeway to get it wrong!) show me I need to practice some of these techniques if I want to nail them every time, so I'm taking every opportunity I get to try and nail down a technique for myself thumb.gif Shooting into the light is definitely something I have NOT mastered - I love the look, but haven't yet got a reliably process for ensuring I get the shot I want even in conditions that can be challenging. Hence why I'm working on it... :D
  • Options
    jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    The processing on #2 blends well with the image. I like it. My small suggestion would be to liquify the swelling on her dress at the back side since it makes her look old with that. Some extra vignette would probably help, too.
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    I like the natural texture of the background in the shots. Definately could have punched it harder with flash at a faster shutter to knock it down a bit though.

Good for you for "steppin' out".thumb.gif
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    I think the processing really does add something to it. I am drawn to the jacket more than to Little Diva's face, perhaps some vignetting could help with the focus. Nice capture though.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2011
    Thanks guys. Here's another frame from that series - don't like the expression quite as much, but the light's a bit more balanced, even though this was again all natural light with no fill. Again, without, and then with a texture:

2a
    i-LXGGNDS-L.jpg

2b This has picked up a greenish tint I don't like - may have to revisit that. Textures are really REALLY new for me, so this is "playtime" - I reckon at least I may have figured out my own taste by the end of it!

i-tXzp7RN-L.jpg
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    I'm liking 1b. Not so much for the texture, but the color temperature. 1a feels a little cold.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    I'm liking 2b, but I still can't get past the jacket. It's heinous, sorry.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    DivaMum I think the first selections were more fun than 2a and b. Lil Diva doesn't have quite the same youthful feel.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2011
    Exactly why I didn't gravitate to the 2nd shot initially, BB - I prefer the feel in the first as well, although I do like the deeper-toned leaves in the 2nd.

JPC - lol because I absolutely LOVE that jacket. I agree it may not have been the right style choice for this particular setting, but I had an idea in mind (which, sadly, I didn't quite nail - hence all this practicing!). Bottom line is that when coercing bribing persuading your own teenager into letting you take pix, you kind of Get What You Are Given clotheswise and try to work with it rolleyes1.gif. (and I hasten to add no offense of any kind taken - different strokes n' all that!! thumb.gif)
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    I too have a teenage daughter, so I get it ;)
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2011
    jpc wrote: »
    I too have a teenage daughter, so I get it ;)

:giggle thumb.gif