Options

D...

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited November 21, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Thoughts welcomed :thumb

I posted an entry already - if only to make sure I DID post one - but have now done another set of Daughter and am wondering which one....

1. As entered
i-vhM2R9w-L.jpg

2. With texture (can't remember - are commercial texture actions allowable? They incorporate texturizing images, so couldn't remember if that was legal for DSS or not. This is one of the Florabella actions, fwiw). i-QX9fBKd-L.jpg

2. Without texture
i-5TqKNbh-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2011
    I am liking the entered shot best. No technical reason just think the head angle is better and expression is more compelling. Eye color shows up better
    Has grown up since the first Challenge entry she modeled for you.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    divmedic4divmedic4 Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2011
    The processing/textures on the second one creates a very nice, almost canvass print looking effect. IMO, your original entry is stronger though. The focus seems sharper to me and she appears more comfortable. The smile she has actually made me smile.
    Canon 7D, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS, EF 50 1.8 II, 430EXII

Tom
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    Beautiful daughter! I like her smile in the first & the perspective & lighting, but am not fond of the DOF because of the right eye not being in focus (although I know this is somewhat of a standard portrait look, just not my preference). I keep coming back to #2 - I really like what the texture does to the shot except for the greenish tint it adds to her hair. Without that, #2 would be my fav, but as is, I think I prefer #3. I like the comp, the angle of her head & how well her face is exposed with the sun at her back.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    Beautiful daughter! I like her smile in the first & the perspective & lighting, but am not fond of the DOF because of the right eye not being in focus (although I know this is somewhat of a standard portrait look, just not my preference). I have the same thought each time I look at that shot my eye always go to OF area .If the hair covered the eye more ???
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2011
    Thanks all!

Yeah, I think the shallow depth of field portrait with one eye oof is very definitely a personal preference or not - I personally love that look, but some folks hate it! Not the first time I've been called out on that... rolleyes1.gif

Will continue to think about it - who knows how many shots I may have taken between now and next Monday? :D Maybe there are some other "D"'s out there I haven't thought of yet ..... thumb.gif
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,949 moderator
    edited November 20, 2011
    I am definitely drawn to the composition of the first. The DOF is fine with me as it and the lighting help focus my eye on her lovely smile, etc. There is a beauty to this image both in its subject and the way it is composed, with soft curving lines (of her hair, brow, cuff, etc.)...

Don't know the answer to your question about the texture of #2 and the rules but have seen others post shots used for texture layers in their exif.

Gretchen
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,278 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    I, too, really like the first one. As long as the one eye is in focus, the shallow DOF doesn't bother me...I like it! The checkered coat in the others steals my attention from her lovely face, which is gorgeous in the first photo! I love her pose, her smile...I wouldn't change this.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    These are a treasure! For me, too, the first that was entered is the strongest. I think as Kate says, the boldness of the jacket is distracting.....
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    I think you picked the right one to enter. But don't forget Divapuppy also starts with a D. I wonder if I can find something to enter this time.... time to look through the pics.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    Very nice entry clap.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2011
    Thanks guys!!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    Definitely like #1 the best. I really like the textured background, but not too sure about the coat choice with that background.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/