Options

Expensive multi coating filter worth an investment?

kphotokphoto Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
edited November 23, 2011 in Weddings
Hi, I didn't know who to ask, so decided to post here. I hope I could get someone's opinion on this.

I am a wedding photographer. I was about to buy one of the L series lenses (Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L USM.) I normally have some kind of filter to protect the glass and I don't spend much money on it.

Then, I read about this "Clear-Haze-Multi-Resistant-Coating" filter and it is $70. Of course I would like to have a high quality image, but do you think it's worth the investment? There are a lot of other filters which are less expensive than this.

http://www.amazon.com/77mm-Clear-Haze-Multi-Resistant-Coating/dp/B0000BZLBQ/ref=pd_bxgy_p_img_b

Comments

• Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    They're less expensive for a reason... for lax in manufacturing quality/standards, they almost always degrade image quality in some way, to some degree. Generally the cheaper they are the more you can potentially pay in color accuracy, sharpness, contrast, even plane of focus, glare, etc. depending on how poorly or how well that particular copy has been made. In cheap filter land it's all kind of random since you don't know what brands may do what to your image. Some cheapies can work quite well and degrade an image just slightly, but it's a gamble whether you get a copy that's all even and nice or not.

Might be worth buying a cheap filter, take a shot with identical settings with it on and off and compare the results. Then you can answer your question yourself whether it is worth the peace of mind while saving some $. You might even have no problem with what a cheap filter might do to your photos. If you do, then yes, it is probably worth a higher end filter. From what I've heard though, until they're $200+ they're all kind of the same and a $10 filter can do just as well as a $70 filter if you get a decent copy.

Since you're doing weddings regularly, I'd say one is worth the investment if not having protection and potentially losing IQ really bothers you. I personally never use filters, ever. lol. But that's just me. I religiously use lens caps and lens cases though.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    Since you're doing weddings regularly, I'd say one is worth the investment if not having protection and potentially losing IQ really bothers you. I personally never use filters, ever. lol. But that's just me. I religiously use lens caps and lens cases though.

If you're going to use filters, then yes, invest in a proper higher quality one so as not to degrade any quality.

I though am in the above boat, I never use filters. I'm religious about using my hood as my protective barrier from the outside world and I always carry a lens cloth with me in case I need to wipe.
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    Shima wrote: »
    If you're going to use filters, then yes, invest in a proper higher quality one so as not to degrade any quality.

I though am in the above boat, I never use filters. I'm religious about using my hood as my protective barrier from the outside world and I always carry a lens cloth with me in case I need to wipe.

I never use UV filters for protection. They all degrade image quality to some degree and even the best UV filters will regularly cause flare issues. As Cat said, use a hood for protection and get to work. The front elements on a lens are much stronger than you would think and if it comes to it, they can be replaced without replacing the entire lens.
  • Options
    kphotokphoto Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    Thank you all for posting your opinions. I really appreciated it. I agree, it doesn't make any sense to spend money on filters if it is only to degrade the image quality after spending $1500 for a L lens. By reading some reviews on some filters online, I got an impression that high quality filters actually enhance the image quality and protects the lens from dust getting inside and so on. So I was curious if any of the wedding photographers here are using filters.

I attach a hood on all of my lenses, and I also carry a black constriction paper for a shoot to cover my lens to avoid direct sun light. I will probably continue doing that and not spend extra money on filter. Thank you all!
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    some people use filters, some don't..if you are going to use one though..get good ones.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2011
    I would buy that filter without hesitation. I got the same lens and ordered a filter to use on mine since the previous owner told me that from the day he got the lens it has had a filter on it. I bought a Hoya filter and by far it is the nicest most expensive one I have purchased to date. I use a filter for the benefits of what it does when shooting outdoors but also to protect the lens itself from damage and to help keep it clean. I have gotten great images with the lens with the filter on it. Most of my lenses have filters on them AND I use lens hoods at the same time. I may be "over protective" because I go to great lengths to take care of my gear to prevent damage. I know you asked other people for advice, but I also think you should go with your heart and do what you feel is best for you. I do agree with the fact if you are going to buy expensive lenses not to put cheap inferior filters on your lens, which is why I bought what I did for my 24-70L.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com