Options

rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
edited November 23, 2011 in Street and Documentary
i-2x2zFjD-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    I am not sure what you are trying to tell with this picture besides some signs of fanatics. On the technical side is picture way to much bright with burns in the high lights.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    When something does grab/hold me, I'll come back several times to see if I still feel that way.

This one does not, I think I know what you saw but I'd call it a miss.
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2011
    D3Sshooter wrote: »
    I am not sure what you are trying to tell with this picture besides some signs of fanatics. On the technical side is picture way to much bright with burns in the high lights.

Fair enough on the "story" in that I missed with you. Relative to intent, the three young people were the subject with the signs complementing them; the signs were not the main subject (though I realize that any printed word in a photograph commands more attention than is usually intended).

Your comment on the processing is spot on. I am experimenting with brightness/contrast sliders to see how the photographic impact varies even if it is technically less correct. BTW, I have seen a few of your posts in other forums and have the opinion that your lighting/processing technical/understanding skills are superb. I actually like that you look to not blow out highlights and pay attention to grey tones (unlike many that blow out facial features so people lose their noses...).

Thanks for commenting and helping me reevaluate this photo.
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2011
    bfjr wrote: »
    When something does grab/hold me, I'll come back several times to see if I still feel that way.

This one does not, I think I know what you saw but I'd call it a miss.

Thanks, Ben, for letting me know that. It is of value to get this sort of feedback, too.

Now, at the risk of sounding defensive, I would like to explain my thinking on this photo. There was a fair amount of intent on this shot (unlike so many other street shots which are quick grabs). The sign (and the person with it) on the left is a fixture on this corner in downtown SF. I saw the guy on the right with the sign and noted the irony of the two both spouting the same message in different ways. So I waited for the right subjects to walk up. The shot is as you see it.

Now, what I consider fortuitous is the "21" in the back which can be related to their age and their entry into adulthood. The three signs form a triangle and the there are three main subjects. The conflict of entry into adulthood is reflected by the signs, but also their parallel gazes. Meanwhile, the rest of the world just goes about its business, as reflected by the other passerbys.

Now I realize that the intent and the execution did not nearly match (as concluded from the two comments and lack of any others), but I did want to share this with the forum readers/members to see if this is helpful as part of our feedback/learning. And I am doing this only after the photo has been up for a few days to not predispose the initial viewing.