Options

So.. Are these street photos

toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
edited November 23, 2011 in Street and Documentary
if people don't streets where they live?
Security overkill
RAG9043-XL.jpg
A family affair
RAG8682-XL.jpg
Rags

Comments

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2011
    Yes of course, well sorta, kinda mwink.gif

Hey I even know where this is and why it is !

Which there was more face/s in #2.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2011
    I'm going to be a bit ornery - what a shock, right?
    #1 sort of is, because it has a bit of WTF to it - guy with an automatic rifle? T-shirts for sale? Wtf? But at the same time it's not much photographically.

#2 - sorry, but there's really nothing there. It isn't a question of street photo or not a street photo - it just isn't. Sorry.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2011
    thanks folks for the look see.
    bdcolen wrote: »
    I'm going to be a bit ornery - what a shock, right?
    #1 sort of is, because it has a bit of WTF to it - guy with an automatic rifle? T-shirts for sale? Wtf? But at the same time it's not much photographically.

Well maybe I'm a bit local. On the west coast there is a huge drug problem from Mexico. They have just discovered two more tunnels from Mexico into warehouses to be used for drug smuggling. Mexican nationals come into our national parks in Norcal and field a pot farm; then man it it men with auto weapons.

I was in Baja yesterday shooting the Baja 1000. Federally's have checkpoints and they go thru your car or if you're unluckey you'll be behind a semi that they're checking.

These young men carry auto weapons because the drug cartel has no respect for law and there are frequent fire fights and Federally deaths. There are also tourist kidnappings.

But hey, some pictures need more than a title.

BTW I shot this from my car window while waiting for the checkpoint.

So why go? Because of 800hp going about 100mph that can be shot with a full frame D700 & 24/70, welcome to my world
    http://ragspix.smugmug.com/Competitions/1111-Baja-1000/20168155_MvqgG9#1592638121_VQL6KcL-A-LB
    Rags
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    For me those are just snapshots, nothing more... sorry. Where is the story ? Where is your contact with the people ? What are you trying to tell with your pictures ?
    Have a look at http://www.maryellenmark.com how it is done.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    torags wrote: »
    thanks folks for the look see.

Well maybe I'm a bit local. On the west coast there is a huge drug problem from Mexico. They have just discovered two more tunnels from Mexico into warehouses to be used for drug smuggling. Mexican nationals come into our national parks in Norcal and field a pot farm; then man it it men with auto weapons.

I was in Baja yesterday shooting the Baja 1000. Federally's have checkpoints and they go thru your car or if you're unluckey you'll be behind a semi that they're checking.

These young men carry auto weapons because the drug cartel has no respect for law and there are frequent fire fights and Federally deaths. There are also tourist kidnappings.

But hey, some pictures need more than a title.

BTW I shot this from my car window while waiting for the checkpoint.

So why go? Because of 800hp going about 100mph that can be shot with a full frame D700 & 24/70, welcome to my world
    http://ragspix.smugmug.com/Competitions/1111-Baja-1000/20168155_MvqgG9#1592638121_VQL6KcL-A-LB

All of that is very interesting. But the problem is there is nothing in the photos to tell us any of that. And I'm not surprised to hear that they are 'drive by shootings.' Your work is generally MUCH better.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2011
    D3Sshooter wrote: »
    For me those are just snapshots, nothing more... sorry. Where is the story ? Where is your contact with the people ? What are you trying to tell with your pictures ?
    Have a look at http://www.maryellenmark.com how it is done.

Thanks for the comment. I looked at the link. I never thought of that.

Next time I'm down there I'm going to hug a soldier, I'll post a picture (or please call for my remains..).

While there is an endless discussion on what constitutes street photography, I don't think posed shots are what it's about. Seems to me that a photog should not be involved in the setting up the image, thats portraiture.

I guess I tried to show that ordinary people living ordinary lives have to learn to live with a highly militaristic environment. The two people juxtaposed is a graphic illustration of that

that's my story and I'm sticking with it.... mwink.gif

Rags
    Rags
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    The first capture certainly has me looking because of the "overkill" feel to it. Your explanation explains why you did not get a better angle with your "driveby shooting" from the car...rolleyes1.gif And I hope that the letters on his rifle stock do not read "BFF"...ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011

I guess I tried to show that ordinary people living ordinary lives have to learn to live with a highly militaristic environment. The two people juxtaposed is a graphic illustration of that

that's my story and I'm sticking with it.... mwink.gif

Rags

I see what you're going for, but I just don't get that at all from these images. Maybe I'm accustomed to seeing a lot of guards with a lot of guns in my travels, but I just don't think these shots tell a story of any kind.
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Your work is generally MUCH better.

I agree with BD, Rags. You gotta know when to cull.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    RSL wrote: »
    I agree with BD, Rags. You gotta know when to cull.

Agree with both of you. However, if torags had not posted, he would not got the feedback that he has here. I expect that this has given food for thought and improved his photography some. This is the value of posting borderline shots (or less than...) and hearing from others the good and bad of the shot.
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2011
    rainbow wrote: »
    Agree with both of you. However, if torags had not posted, he would not got the feedback that he has here. I expect that this has given food for thought and improved his photography some. This is the value of posting borderline shots (or less than...) and hearing from others the good and bad of the shot.

All valid criticisms

Good point Rainbow.

Truth be told, I'm more interested in that story than the shot.

and I'm learning a lot on this forum. Some good, some not so good.

For example, I don't know if I've ever been so close to a semantics pissing contest ever. Then there's the box. Posters get pounded for thinking outside the box

this is a tough place... :D
    Rags
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,927 moderator
    edited November 22, 2011
    Then there's the box. Posters get pounded for thinking outside the box

this is a tough place... :D
    Not an uncommon experience for original thinkers, but that's how art progresses. As for the rest, I think we would all be better off if we focused on whether or not an image is good rather than whether or not it is "street." Other than curators, librarians and academics, I don't think anyone much cares about the latter.
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2011
    Fair enough.

Are we to forget the "PJ" in the title of this thread?, which by definition of journalism contains words with the photos?

Does capture rule or technical excellence? or a little of both.

Here is a link to some PJ that we can aspire to copy to improve our craft.

http://blogs.reuters.com/fullfocus/2011/11/21/best-photos-of-the-year-2011/#a=1

Notice the each shot contains some text, because a picture doesn't necessarily tell a story on it's own.

Flame on...
    Rags