Options

Save for Web & Devices - Help

beebibibeebibi Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
edited November 26, 2011 in Digital Darkroom
Hi, I am at a loss here - whenever I try to do a JPEG image conversion in CS5 it looks great on the optimized panels in 'Save for Web & Devices' but when I press the 'Preview' button and see the image on the Web it has an ugly red color cast .

I do check the 'convert to sRGB' button... and 'use Document Profile'

Any idea how to prevent that from happening?

Thanks for your help ...
Cheers, Bee

Comments

• Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2011
    What monitor are you using to view these images? Exact Maker and Model please.
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2011
    Newsy wrote: »
    What monitor are you using to view these images? Exact Maker and Model please.

-A new NEC 24" Monitor PA241W-BK-SV -
    Cheers, Bee
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2011
    Ok it seems that your document's profile (the photo's) is not sRGB. hence the ugly colors when you open
    it outside of PS. The setting document profile lets you view the image with the profile of your PS working
    space (which is obviously not sRGB), but you should set it to the top option in the list .. it should be
    "Display color" or something.

Now try converting your photo to sRGB inside PS first (Edit -> Convert To Profile) and then save
    for web (there: check "convert to RGB", uncheck "embed profile"). That should do it and you can
    now see in the preview dialog if the colors are converted correctly from your documents profile to sRGB.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2011
    Manfr3d wrote: »
    Ok it seems that your document's profile (the photo's) is not sRGB. hence the ugly colors when you open
    it outside of PS. The setting document profile lets you view the image with the profile of your PS working
    space (which is obviously not sRGB), but you should set it to the top option in the list .. it should be
    "Display color" or something.

Now try converting your photo to sRGB inside PS first (Edit -> Convert To Profile) and then save
    for web (there: check "convert to RGB", uncheck "embed profile"). That should do it and you can
    now see in the preview dialog if the colors are converted correctly from your documents profile to sRGB.

Manfred, thanks for trying to help me - yes, that was my first thought that the ugly color came from not converting to sRGB but unfortunately it couldn't possibly be because I do convert in PS to sRGB before going to 'Save for Web'. Both windows there 'Original' and 'Optimized JPEG' look great and in sync. Then I 'Preview' in the browser and I see the ugly red color cast.... :-(

I never had that problem before I changed my monitors - Ah, well -
    Cheers, Bee
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    beebibi wrote: »
    Manfred, thanks for trying to help me - yes, that was my first thought that the ugly color came from not converting to sRGB but unfortunately it couldn't possibly be because I do convert in PS to sRGB before going to 'Save for Web'. Both windows there 'Original' and 'Optimized JPEG' look great and in sync. Then I 'Preview' in the browser and I see the ugly red color cast.... :-(

So, did you try unckecking "embed profile"?
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2011

First Q.... what browser?

You likely never saw it before because your old monitor was a standard sRGB gamut. Your PA241w is a wide gamut monitor. There is still something fundamentally wrong with how the file is tagged sRGB and then how this tag is read. Manfred is working to resolving that issue.

Question #2.... Try this - the PA241w has an excellent preset sRGB mode. Go into the monitors OSD menu and enable it. Then try viewing with the browser you have been using. Still overly red?

If not, this is a clue that you've been caught in the classic wide gamut monitor and sRGB file trap. A lot of first time wide gamut monitor users fall into it.

Question #3.... Have you read these links before?

http://www.gballard.net/photoshop/srgb_wide_gamut.html

http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html#

http://gearoracle.com/guides/web-browser-color-management-guide/

Question #4.... when you calibrate with the SpectraViewII kit, what version of ICC do you save the newly created monitor profile in - ICC v2 or v4?

http://www.color.org/version4html.xalter

If ICC v4 I think you should redo the calibration and save to v2.

Btw... tha latest FireFox v8 is once again able to read v4 ICC profiles. A way back in FireFox v3.0.x it could read both v2 and v4 ICC profiles but with v3.5.x there was a bug and only v2 was usable.

Unfortunately v4 is not enabled as per original install. You have to enable it but it is not that hard.

http://gearoracle.com/guides/firefox-color-management/

Using FireFox 8 with ICC v4 enabled should give you a "complete" rendering of the target image in that color.org link.

• Options
    edited November 20, 2011

...I use Windows Internet Explorer for my Browser and that is what PS uses in the Preview...

You likely never saw it before because your old monitor was a standard sRGB gamut. Your PA241w is a wide gamut monitor. There is still something fundamentally wrong with how the file is tagged sRGB and then how this tag is read. Manfred is working to resolving that issue.

Well, my old 22" Eizo CG 220 had the same 1900 X 1200 pixels as the NEC PA241W - unfortunately i had to replace it (5 years old) nice machine:-) Now I have two NEC PA241W instead and am very happy with the arrangement but for this issue - At the moment they are connected to my old PC which doesn't support calibration on two seperate monitors ( 2 monitors on one card and one old dell on the other) at the moment I have the monitors calibrated in their menus to 'Full' (the whole Gamut). When I get the new PC (VideoCard NVidia Quadro 4000) next week I will be able to use the SpectraView Kit on both.

Question #2.... Try this - the PA241w has an excellent preset sRGB mode. Go into the monitors OSD menu and enable it. Then try viewing with the browser you have been using. Still overly red?

If not, this is a clue that you've been caught in the classic wide gamut monitor and sRGB file trap. A lot of first time wide gamut monitor users fall into it.

I had already done this because that was the logical conclusion and you did give me already a hint with asking for the name of the monitor :D The one monitor was set to 'Full' the other to sRGB and when viewing with the browser on that monitor it wasn't overly red!!! I found the culprit but what to do with it - I am not keen on always setting one monitor to sRGB when viewing on the webrolleyes1.gif I certainly did not need to do that with the Eizo... maybe I am missing something here.... but next to your links, maybe that will enlighten me :D

- when I have my new PC I will take advantage of your suggestion with the SpectraViewII Kit and let you know how I get on....

Appreciate all your efforts to help me... ( hope I was clear enough - English is not my mothertongue - I grew up in Germany)
    Cheers, Bee
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2011

...I use Windows Internet Explorer for my Browser and that is what PS uses in the Preview...

Well, my old 22" Eizo CG 220 had the same 1900 X 1200 pixels as the NEC PA241W - unfortunately i had to replace it (5 years old) nice machine:-) Now I have two NEC PA241W instead and am very happy with the arrangement but for this issue - At the moment they are connected to my old PC which doesn't support calibration on two seperate monitors ( 2 monitors on one card and one old dell on the other) at the moment I have the monitors calibrated in their menus to 'Full' (the whole Gamut). When I get the new PC (VideoCard NVidia Quadro 4000) next week I will be able to use the SpectraView Kit on both.

I had already done this because that was the logical conclusion and you did give me already a hint with asking for the name of the monitor :D The one monitor was set to 'Full' the other to sRGB and when viewing with the browser on that monitor it wasn't overly red!!! I found the culprit but what to do with it - I am not keen on always setting one monitor to sRGB when viewing on the webrolleyes1.gif I certainly did not need to do that with the Eizo... maybe I am missing something here.... but next to your links, maybe that will enlighten me :D

- when I have my new PC I will take advantage of your suggestion with the SpectraViewII Kit and let you know how I get on....

Appreciate all your efforts to help me... ( hope I was clear enough - English is not my mothertongue - I grew up in Germany)

Hi, NEWSY... yes, your links definitely enlightened me - amazing what I didn't know ne_nau.gif

Thanks to you I use SAFARi as my browser to look at pics now with great success.

One interesting thing which still puzzles me : in 'Save for Web & Devices' in CS5 PS I still get the color cast even though I set up Safari as the browser to use in 'Preview'. So I stopped using the preview... but there is something not quite right here in the PS software I feel....

Thanks again....
    Cheers, Bee
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2011
    Thanks to you I use SAFARi as my browser to look at pics now with great success.

One interesting thing which still puzzles me : in 'Save for Web & Devices' in CS5 PS I still get the color cast even though I set up Safari as the browser to use in 'Preview'. So I stopped using the preview... but there is something not quite right here in the PS software I feel....

I have this line of thought drifting through my head..... something to do with the fact that the NEC monitor has its' ICC profile data written to the internal LUT in the monitor by the SpectraView software, but Safari and FireFox reference the system ICC profile used by the OS to correct a monitor's color and this is written to the LUT in the video card. I'm too distracted to focus on it at the moment but that is where I'm thinking there is an error occurring in the color management.
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2011
    Newsy wrote: »
    I have this line of thought drifting through my head..... something to do with the fact that the NEC monitor has its' ICC profile data written to the internal LUT in the monitor by the SpectraView software, but Safari and FireFox reference the system ICC profile used by the OS to correct a monitor's color and this is written to the LUT in the video card. I'm too distracted to focus on it at the moment but that is where I'm thinking there is an error occurring in the color management.

I am very curious to see what you can come up with... take your time...
    Cheers, Bee