Options

Post Processing and File size

rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited November 26, 2011 in Finishing School
Quick question, after PPing I sometimes have files that are really big. Is there a way to convert those RAW or PSD files and convert them or make them smaller but still keep the psd file and it's information, meaning not degrading the image so to speak.

BTW, I'm using CS5 and LR3

Thanks
Rick
Canon 5DMk II | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.

Comments

• Options
    PeanoPeano Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2011
    rickp wrote: »
    Quick question, after PPing I sometimes have files that are really big. Is there a way to convert those RAW or PSD files and convert them or make them smaller but still keep the psd file and it's information, meaning not degrading the image so to speak.

Raw is raw, so there's no reducing those files.

I don't know of any way to reduce the size of PSD files and preserve all the image information, but I do know that many people make PSD files unnecessarily large. For example, they repeatedly duplicate the background layer for purposes (such as applying a different blend mode) that don't require any replication of image pixels. People who do this just don't understand the power of adjustment layers.

Given the low cost of hard drives these days, I'm for keeping the raw and PSD files full-size with layers intact.