Options

Take 2 - Street or Silhouette?

sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,945 moderator
edited November 28, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Have a couple of new shots and revisited the processing of another. Curious whether I'm on the right track or not. It was nice to get the silhouette of the cathedral before heading down the street for light streaks at twilight - and its another "S" shot - but I'm thinking that one of the street shots is a better option. Any thoughts on these? I like the reflections on the wet pavement from the first shoot and the sky in the later ones....

Gretchen

3b - [new edit] Second Street Pike
i-jxgFjqM-L.jpg

1b - [new edit] Street in the Rain
i-gqXcVMM-L.jpg

5a. Second Street Pike Looking South to Philly [saw spots on lens after posting, leaving up for now]
i-MbPhwWS-L.jpg

6. Street Scene (another image from first shoot)
i-rWJPRwn-L.jpg

7. Silhouetted Against the Sky (or Silhouette at Sunset)i-ZD5msmC-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2011
    I like 5 best now - I love the sky. 7 is beautiful too.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2011
    I'm liking the color and details in #5 now. It caught my eye a little more than the darker ones and I feel like it has the right balance of vehicle streaks adding to the photo rather than overpowering it. The star lighting creates a holiday interpretation too. GP
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2011
    Two more street shots from last night:

i-FSLwHmW-L.jpg

i-zsb9sKx-L.jpg
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2011
    I still like #5 the best.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2011
    Of the Street shots 5 is the best but I am a sunset junkie so I am really drawn to 7 only thing I would like to see more on that would be some detail on the church. Would make a great HDR shot
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2011
    Thanks for the input! Cleaning up #5 for my entry. (Noticed some spots from the lens....)
    DsrtVW wrote: »
    Of the Street shots 5 is the best but I am a sunset junkie so I am really drawn to 7 only thing I would like to see more on that would be some detail on the church. Would make a great HDR shot

Chris, at some point I'll do some tone-mapping with the bracketed exposures I took for #7. Good suggestion to bring out some of the detail on the church. Thanks!

Gretchen
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2011
    DsrtVW wrote: »

Here is another edit (with help from Photomatix and Photoshop) of the cathedral silhouetted against the sunset sky but showing more detail.

7b.
    i-Pk8VLDd-L.jpg
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2011
    7(a) stands out for me. I don't think you need the detail in the foreground to the photo effective. You've got an eye-catching silhouette plus a gorgeous sky. In 7b the foreground interferes with those elements.

Your photo makes me wish I still lived in Bucks County!
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2011
    richtersl wrote: »
    7(a) stands out for me. I don't think you need the detail in the foreground to the photo effective. You've got an eye-catching silhouette plus a gorgeous sky. In 7b the foreground interferes with those elements.

Your photo makes me wish I still lived in Bucks County!

Thanks for giving me your input on these! I do like the dark silhouette (7a) which sort of reminds me of the paper cutting of "scherenschnitte." I agree that 7b brings out the foreground too much. 7c is a compromise, just hinting at that third dimension - depth.

7c.
    i-KrcfVpG-L.jpg

I've been thinking I'll enter a street scene and may still get to it, but got sick over the long weekend and am having "technical difficulties" getting the street scene to my liking.

Gretchen
  • Options
    LatinoooLatinooo Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    I like 5 the sky and the timing was good..

also 7c is really better than before .
    I'm not a pro, so I'm learning..

I'm not nothing, so I am who I am ..

Here is my place
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2011
    Latinooo, thanks for your input on 5 and 7. It's nice to feel like I have two good options. Now to figure out which one to enter!
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    I like #5 best out of all of them... the sky is beautiful, really caught my eye.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2011
    Finally switched out my entry to a version of 5a after cleaning up the spots from the lens and trying to bring out the colors in the sky a bit more. My best options seemed to be these two.

5b.
    i-7nKJQ7d-L.jpg

5c. Street Scene on the Way to Philly (current entry)
    i-kkcq2Qb-L.jpg

I went with 5c, thinking it put a little more emphasis on the Street but welcome your input on this. It was really a toss up for me. :D Thank you all for the helpful input you've given already!

Gretchen