Options

parade

doobdoob Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
edited November 28, 2011 in Street and Documentary
been working on street photog, what do u guys think? improvement?

6415067815_33bc139ff8_z.jpg

6415066663_d58444ddcd_z.jpg

6415129151_cbe7a3d6b0_z.jpg

6415128215_32de744ded_z.jpg

6415126883_f5ffb1b59b_z.jpg

6415077307_600b5b1386_z.jpg

6415074155_0638282260_z.jpg

Comments

• Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2011
    Between the film and your post-technique, for me they have that older LIFE/TIME feel to them.

#5 is the one that grabs me most.

• Options
    edited November 27, 2011
    i should mention they were shot with film so that should explain the old feel.
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2011
    Oh no question you shoot film..... thumb.gif

I regret selling my Spotmatic F and a 50/1.4 years ago. But I've since acquired a Nikon FE and a 50/1.4 that just rocks.

• Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2011
    doob wrote: »
    been working on street photog, what do u guys think? improvement?
    I don't claim to be a street photographer, and I have no point of reference to judge any 'improvement'. But, as with most 'street photography' we see here, I'm confused as to what it is you are trying to tell the viewer with most of these images.

In numbers 1-4 and number 6, you captured people who didn't know they were being photographed (maybe the girl in 6 knew, but is shot flat, front-on and shows no emotion). But are they doing or exhibiting anything remarkable? Not that I can see!

In image 7, a clown is giving you a thumbs-up. Is that a surprise? He would do that for any three year old child that looked his way! But I bet that if you went right up to him he would have let you take a tightly-cropped portrait that showed the thick layers of paint on his face - and a big grin!

When you say you have been 'working on street photog', what does that mean? Do you have any particular objectives, or a plan of any sort? And what did you intend your photographs from the Christmas parade (in Auckland?) to say?

Of all these images, only number 5 starts to do anything for me. Even though his face is not showing, the boy's body position and the inclusion of Father Christmas as he is coming along the street is conveying some of the excitement and anticipation the young lad is feeling. IMHO, that's closer to being an example of real street photography, rather than merely a snapshot!
  • Options
    NmahoochNmahooch Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2011
    Terrific. 1 and 3 stand out to me. great work.
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2011
    I don't claim to be a street photographer, and I have no point of reference to judge any 'improvement'. But, as with most 'street photography' we see here, I'm confused as to what it is you are trying to tell the viewer with most of these images.
    true i should've added links to my previous thread for reference
    In numbers 1-4 and number 6, you captured people who didn't know they were being photographed (maybe the girl in 6 knew, but is shot flat, front-on and shows no emotion). But are they doing or exhibiting anything remarkable? Not that I can see!
    isnt taking a shot of someone without them knowing one of the essence of street? also number 6 was posing as a doll. perhaps some caption to go would've been better. i'll add them later and from now on.
    In image 7, a clown is giving you a thumbs-up. Is that a surprise? He would do that for any three year old child that looked his way! But I bet that if you went right up to him he would have let you take a tightly-cropped portrait that showed the thick layers of paint on his face - and a big grin!
    i found his cap quite interesting. hardly see any clowns walking around with that.
    When you say you have been 'working on street photog', what does that mean? Do you have any particular objectives, or a plan of any sort? And what did you intend your photographs from the Christmas parade (in Auckland?) to say?
    capturing peoples emotions. in this context, capturing people enjoying the parade.
    Of all these images, only number 5 starts to do anything for me. Even though his face is not showing, the boy's body position and the inclusion of Father Christmas as he is coming along the street is conveying some of the excitement and anticipation the young lad is feeling. IMHO, that's closer to being an example of real street photography, rather than merely a snapshot!
    thanks for your feedback. next time i'll try apply these things you've mentioned
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    isn't taking a shot of someone without them knowing one of the essence of street?
    Not as far as I know! But what I was saying was that an image captured without the subject knowing can't be all that's necessary for a street photograph. There must be something else.
    also number 6 was posing as a doll. perhaps some caption to go would've been better.
    I would take some convincing that the girl was 'posing' or had been posed! She seems thoroughly disinterested in being there, as though she is sitting for a passport photo. And a caption doesn't turn a meaningless image into something superior!
    i found his cap quite interesting. hardly see any clowns walking around with that.
    Another reason to get in close and eliminate all the unnecessary clutter!
    capturing peoples emotions. in this context, capturing people enjoying the parade.
    Do you really think you succeeded in this? Perhaps you have a lot of other images with 'happy' people.
    thanks for your feedback. next time i'll try apply these things you've mentioned
    My comments are offered as honest feedback, intended to be helpful. I wouldn't appreciate being told my images are great when they were anything but. Set yourself high standards and go for it!