Options

Computer problems

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited September 28, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
I have been attempting to activate / use remote desk top that XP has available. No sucsess, but that's not my question today.

Currently I use aol, and I today I don't have my buddy's list or IM, or aol help!

The thing that does bother me is I can't click on a link in Digital grin, and open anything. I get my pop up blocking sound. I did install MacAfee, and there is a window that lets you set what sevices to allow. The only box / service I have allowd is port 3389. (supoposed to be for remote desk top.)

I have a ton of attempted access from:
xxx.dynamic.covad.net with event information like: Micosoft-DS, or DCE endpoit resolution.

Program recomended to dis-allow access to port 135.

Is my problem related to not allowing the correct service / port access?

Thanks for any input.

Sam

Comments

• Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    I have been attempting to activate / use remote desk top that XP has available. No sucsess, but that's not my question today.

Currently I use aol, and I today I don't have my buddy's list or IM, or aol help!

The thing that does bother me is I can't click on a link in Digital grin, and open anything. I get my pop up blocking sound. I did install MacAfee, and there is a window that lets you set what sevices to allow. The only box / service I have allowd is port 3389. (supoposed to be for remote desk top.)

I have a ton of attempted access from:
    xxx.dynamic.covad.net with event information like: Micosoft-DS, or DCE endpoit resolution.

Program recomended to dis-allow access to port 135.

Is my problem related to not allowing the correct service / port access?

Thanks for any input.

Sam
    When did it last work correctly? What did you do after right after that? HTTP traffic comes in on port 80, so you may want to open that up. Do sites other than dgrin work? Port 135 should be closed, along with many others. See the Shields Up site for more info, if you haven't been there before.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2005
    TristanP wrote:
    When did it last work correctly? What did you do after right after that? HTTP traffic comes in on port 80, so you may want to open that up. Do sites other than dgrin work? Port 135 should be closed, along with many others. See the Shields Up site for more info, if you haven't been there before.
    OK!!! all is well!!!! I just loves it when these Damn &^%*^%*6 things fix themselves. ne_nau.gifne_nau.gif

No clue why or how it fixed it's self.

I'll read the shields Up link.

Thanks,

Sam
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2005
    AOL is DOING something. My welcome screen keeps changing. (Also, there is somewhere else to check/uncheck re pop ups, cookies, etc. I try to keep as much open as possible.)

But when aol decides to mess around: well, you all know what happens when the powers here, or Smugmug, decide to change things...............

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    AOL is evil.:D

I used to be a tech at an ISP back in the mid nineties. It was right around the time internet access went from hourly charges to monthly flat rates. The company I worked for had their own dialer for Windows 3.11 but used the native DUN on windows 95 for connection. AOL of course had their own dialer and software that needed installed no matter what.

What a PITA. People would complain, but AOL did this, and I could just do this, and what do you mean their dialer is causing a problem in the TCP\IP stack? Then trying to explain that AOL was a content provider and not a true internet service provider was like trying to teach swahili to an oak tree.

There was also the fun when AOL would block us because of "spam" which at that time wasn't even a problem, but more a game to try to get everyone to go with their friends and join AOL.

Any computer geek will tell you how much they hate AOL.

Anyway, it's popular for a reason, it was a lot easier for people to use right away. That's a good thing for them. It's more us behind the scenes guys that hate them.

I see a war coming soon between AOL, Yahoo, and Google. Of course Microsoft will get in the mix, but I think partnering with one of the above will be the only way they can compete and win.

With HD coming soon, content providers will rule. Your HDTV will have a high enough resolution to act as a PC monitor. Eventually, content providers over the internet will give you your TV shows as opposed to cable or dish networks. The alacarte system of picking channels will occur and along with specific special niche style content convert a lot of people to using the internet for TV viewing needs. On demand will be the key. Imagine not having to record anymore. The show you want to watch on Tuesday night that you missed is still housed on a streaming server. So you can request to watch it Friday night and it will be streamed right to your TV .

Watch. It will happen.
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    The bottom line is that nothing should be bugging port 135 when all you're doing is web-browsing. 135 (and a few others) are for LAN Manager file sharing; if you only have one PC at your home then you certainly shouldn't be seeing this type of activity.
  • Options
    I have used AOL for 10 yrs, not for ease of use, at least not recently. I just like it. It is like comfort food: there for me, with junk on the welcome screen. I love the "junk", the People magazine type stuff. Plus the news, plus I can get the news on CNN alert. Go to places online, but to see the latest re Britney, well, that is true trash. I don't care about Britney, but there are others, Jennifer Aniston comes to mind, who I do "care" about. Love my trash!

I have Cable, I could be using whatever I want. We pay that bit extra so I can use AOL, along with eating chocolate ice cream, etc.

They used to be more friendly, IMO, than they are now. Actually, they used to be American based as far as techs were concerned. I could hear, and understand them, now I have to do it online where they say the dumbest things off of a script. However, I don't talk to them much, am not new, etc....... So I just enjoy the parts I like.

What I hate is being looked upon is some kind of moron who likes the world "easy" just because I do like AOL and use it. It was known, probably still is, as the "provider" for the idiots who like their "food nuked and their internet easy". This is not a dGrin thing, I have had less hassle at dGrin, actually, than I have had anywhere else. I just hate that lack of respect thing.

Also, I don't know why everything in this world, and on the NY stock exchange , is deemed a failure if it is not growing. If AOL stays the same in numbers using them, it is bad news. I would think this would be a good thing, and also in the natural order. Never have understood it.

ginger (how many new "idiots" can AOL add in any one year.) from a loyal subscriber.
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    ginger_55 wrote:
    ... along with eating chocolate ice cream, etc.
    Oohhh, now you've made me hungry... and there's Neapolitan in the freezer clap.gif
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    Ginger, easy girl.

You are with AOL because of the content they offer. Originally, the internet was a new thing and to get people to stay it needed to be intuitive. That's the word I should of used, intuitive, not easy.

AOL has competition now, first off cost, and second off content. AIM was the thing everyone used. Well except for us geeks that preferred ICQ. Of course AOL then bought ICQ:cry Now yahoo, microsoft, google, etc. are all offering what AOL does and for free. You still have to pay for an internet connection, but you have a wider choice. That's why AOL has dropped, the competition has gotten stiffer.

No one was looking at you like a moron because you use AOL. I was just expressing my experience with them from a tech side. I was in no way trying disrespect anyone.
  • Options
    Thank you, Khaos. I didn't mean dGrin people. You geeks seem a bit less adament on this stuff for others.

Seems the smarter you are, the less judgemental. But in other groups, and with some people I know: well, if you are an aol person, you have a status problem.

I know I am with aol because of content. And the apple pie thing, familiarity. Kind of like my church (no, no, don't get upset, but we do need our anchors in life).

But AOL doesn't know I am with them for content. They are confused and think I am with them for security. That can sure mess things up sometimes, :D .

In fact, this is the first place I have seen the word "content" used. I will remember that one. People who dislike AOL, they really hate AOL, are quite vocal and sanctimonious (in other forums, interestingly not in this one)

ginger