Options

First Solo Wedding

Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
edited November 29, 2011 in Weddings
So this is a little behind the times in posting. I am active duty military and havent had time to get these on here. Back in August my sister in-law got married. They thankfully gave me the chance to do their pictures. As excited as I was I was also very nervous. I have shot over 10 weddings as a second shooter over the past 2 1/2 years, but this was my first chance at going solo. The wedding was great and the location was awesome. Only problem was that it was at 5 pm in the middle of summer in Washington. The location of the reception was nice but had really low ceilings which made bouncing flash easy. It was a tiny bit of a challenge to get good exposures every time due to the fluorescent lighting on the sides and low voltage track lighting in the middle. Other then that I thought the images came out well. Please let me know what you think!

1._DSC0055ed.jpg

2._DSC0043ed.jpg

3._DSC0198ed.jpg

4._DSC0289ed.jpg

5._DSC0385ed.jpg

6._DSC0410ed.jpg

7._DSC0546ed.jpg

8._DSC0534ed.jpg

9._DSC0539ed.jpg

10._DSC0585ed.jpg

11._DSC0555ed.jpg

12._DSC0619eded.jpg

13._DSC0653ed.jpg

14_DSC0015ed.jpg

Comments

• Options
    laurenornotlaurenornot Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2011
    Nice work! I love #8 and I'm not usually a big fan of textures! #10 is near perfect except their heads are chopped.
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2011
    Your points of focus are good, but there is a lot of real estate in some of the photos that could be used for better composition. Negative space is just as important as positive, but in the majority of the photos the negative space just asks to be filled or configured differently. My opinion is to work on compositions and different points of view... the large majority of photos have that "I'm standing here observing you" point of view and feeling, wherever the subject may be. Get high, low, and level with the subjects, and you can make the composition complement many subjects even more. The more you take photos though the more automatic composure will become, including the ducking and bending sideways and laying on the ground every so often, lol rolleyes1.gif

I'd say 6,7, and 10 are your best 3 images here composition wise, although the dress is suuuper bright in 6, I like the photo still.
  • Options
    laurenornotlaurenornot Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2011
    Your points of focus are good, but there is a lot of real estate in the photos that could be used for better composition. Negative space is just as important as positive, but in the majority of the photos the negative space just asks to be filled or configured differently. My opinion is to work on compositions and different points of view... all your photos are standing from the same point of view wherever the subject may be. Get high and low and you can make the composition complement many subjects even more.

I'd say 6,7, and 10 are your best 3 images here composition wise, although the dress is suuuper bright in 6, I like the photo still.

Not for nothing, some of that could probably be solved with cropping!
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2011
    Nice work! I love #8 and I'm not usually a big fan of textures! #10 is near perfect except their heads are chopped.

Thank you! Ya I dont do a whole ton of texture stuff, but I wanted to do something special for my sister in-law.
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2011
    Your points of focus are good, but there is a lot of real estate in some of the photos that could be used for better composition. Negative space is just as important as positive, but in the majority of the photos the negative space just asks to be filled or configured differently. My opinion is to work on compositions and different points of view... the large majority of photos have that "I'm standing here observing you" point of view and feeling, wherever the subject may be. Get high, low, and level with the subjects, and you can make the composition complement many subjects even more. The more you take photos though the more automatic composure will become, including the ducking and bending sideways and laying on the ground every so often, lol rolleyes1.gif

I totally see what you are saying. I guess I did a bad job of choosing the images to post on here. I have some where I went high and low as well. Your comments are the first time in any pictures I have posted on here where anyone has said anything other then good or great composition. I guess I will need to work on it more then. Im just glad you at least like some of the images.
  • Options
    Mark1616Mark1616 Registered Users Posts: 319 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    Great job for a first solo wedding and I'm sure everyone is delighted :)

I'm here to learn so please feel free to give me constructive criticism to help me become the photographer I desire to be.

• Options
    edited November 28, 2011
    They were. I feel like I did a good job. Everyone has to start somewhere you know!
  • Options
    Mark1616Mark1616 Registered Users Posts: 319 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    They were. I feel like I did a good job. Everyone has to start somewhere you know!

Sure di and you've started better than most start.

I'm here to learn so please feel free to give me constructive criticism to help me become the photographer I desire to be.

• Options
    photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    Great job!