Options

Self Portrait

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited November 29, 2011 in Street and Documentary
StAugustine-2-8-09-004-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2011
    And here I thought I was going to see an image of You ! :D

Good but closer would be better, I think.
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2011
    bfjr wrote: »
    And here I thought I was going to see an image of You ! :D

Good but closer would be better, I think.

Thanks for the comment, Ben. I was afraid to get any closer. I didn't want the artist to realize I was taking his picture. I could have cropped a little but I preferred to keep some of the fringe elements in the picture.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2011
    You were right to do it this way, Tom. In this case the surroundings give us a sense of place. Now we know why that guy's sitting there, though it would have been nice if he'd been doing something more than just sitting.
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2011
    RSL wrote: »
    You were right to do it this way, Tom. In this case the surroundings give us a sense of place. Now we know why that guy's sitting there, though it would have been nice if he'd been doing something more than just sitting.

Thanks for your support, Russ. From the look of this fellow, just sitting there was about all he could muster. He'd probably been clobbered all day over his pricing.....didn't appear to have any spunk left.

Tom
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2011
    My first thought was "So that's what Tom looks like..." :D Very well done, Tom, I really like it. And I agree, the wider view gives a nice sense of his environment that a tighter crop wouldn't.
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2011
    moose135 wrote: »
    My first thought was "So that's what Tom looks like..." :D Very well done, Tom, I really like it. And I agree, the wider view gives a nice sense of his environment that a tighter crop wouldn't.

I'm glad you caught this shot, John. The street/candid arena is not one I jump into very frequently. As always, your support means a lot to me. Thanks for the kind comment.

Tom
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,925 moderator
    edited November 27, 2011
    Hmm...yes, some context is needed but I wonder if you really need the flamingo, which besides being ugly is the brightest patch in the frame. I think it would have enough context if you cropped from the left and a bit from the bottom to maintain the aspect ratio. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    Hmm...yes, some context is needed but I wonder if you really need the flamingo, which besides being ugly is the brightest patch in the frame. I think it would have enough context if you cropped from the left and a bit from the bottom to maintain the aspect ratio. ne_nau.gif

Good to see you back, Richard. Thanks for commenting.

Tom
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2011
    But... but..... where's the second person? deal.gif

• Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    I'd be inclined to see this as a square crop, one of two ways - both of which put much more emphasis on the artist and self-portrait, but still keep plenty of the environment. The first:

StAugustine-2-8-09-004-X2CROP1.jpg

And --- Hmmm...this only wants me to attach one....So I'll do a second reply...
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    bdcolen wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to see this as a square crop, one of two ways - both of which put much more emphasis on the artist and self-portrait, but still keep plenty of the environment. The first:

StAugustine-2-8-09-004-X2CROP1.jpg

And --- Hmmm...this only wants me to attach one....So I'll do a second reply...

And the second...

StAugustine-2-8-09-004-X2CROP2.jpg

Actually, I think I much prefer this second crop to the first.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    bdcolen wrote: »
    And the second...

Actually, I think I much prefer this second crop to the first.

That's what I meant !
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    And that's why BD is the street photography master! I really like that last crop as well.
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    +1 on the second crop

Good grab Mamba
    Rags
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2011
    I'm pleased that you folks thought enough about this image to make comments and recommendations. I also like BD's second crop version.

Tom