Options

New laptop under 1000.00

Damon016Damon016 Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
edited November 29, 2011 in Digital Darkroom
So, I am not a mac fan boy so I won't be going that route. Instead looking at laptops that can do video editing and photoshop stuff while I am on the road. Just wondering what you all are using out there. Want responses from people who are using windows based laptops not mac's.

Company needs to get something and I would prefer it be fast enough for what I need and something that will last at least a few months lol.

Comments

• Options
    scott bumpsscott bumps Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2011
    I use an HP never had any problems and if super fast. Intel i7 / 8 gb of ram /1.5 TB harddrive / Blue ray play / 17'' LED backlit display. All the spec are in the hyperlink. check it out .

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod3750897&navAction=push
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2011
    We were all happily editing video and running Photoshop with Core Duo and 4GB of memory only a few years ago, so any current machine with the newer Core i5 or i7 and 4-8GB of memory will smoke either task. Buy the features you think are useful, and the brand you trust. While price is no guarantee of quality, anything less than $4-$500, IMHO, will be crap.
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    Laptop - Asus or Lenovo
    Two laptops I would consider are from Asus, one of the leading if not the leading motherboard manufacturer, and the other is Lenovo, the former IBM product.

Lenovo costs more for about the same build.

ASUS G53SX-XT1 Laptop Computer - Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.0GHz, 8GB DDR3, 640GB HDD, BD-ROM Combo, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M, 15.6 19080x1020, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, - $900. Rather heavy at 8.7 lbs. I would upgrade this Win7 Professional in case you have any XP software you want to run. The same machine is $1,200 on Newegg. Tigerdirect has it for $900.
    Asus at TigerDirect

Or this
    ASUS N53SV-EH72 15.6-Inch Full HD Dynamic Entertainment Laptop, lighter but less powerful than one above (Silver Aluminum) Asus $949 See comments at Amazon for this one. Lighter than one above. Again I would see if I could get Win7 Pro.

Lenovo ThinkPad W520 427638U 15.6" LED Notebook - Core i7 i7-2720QM 2.2GHz - comparable is $1,500. I have owned a couple of Lenovo machines and they are very reliable, probably the best keyboard for any laptop, and just excellent machines. It was discounted much more for Black Friday.

Phil

http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    Any of the above are good...

My laptop is 3 years old, Windows 7, core duo 3GHz and 8GB of RAM. It can stitch together panoramas 25 RAW images large from a 5D MKII in 4-8 minutes depending on which method and settings are chosen. A new quad core laptop in the $600-1000 range would kill it now.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=286119&sku=H24-15224

Decent sale here today only
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2011
    Video and Hi Resolution Graphics Card?
    Given that DSLR cameras can capture video and photographers often create slideshow/videos, I would think that laptops or desktop computers for photographers would include a capable graphics card and a 1980x1020 resolution screen/monitor.

Both of these requirements increases the cost and the components of laptop in my opinion.

Phil
    Phil
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,887 moderator
    edited November 29, 2011

ASUS G53SX-XT1 Laptop Computer - Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.0GHz, 8GB DDR3, 640GB HDD, BD-ROM Combo, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M, 15.6 19080x1020, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, - $900. Rather heavy at 8.7 lbs. I would upgrade this Win7 Professional in case you have any XP software you want to run. The same machine is $1,200 on Newegg. Tigerdirect has it for $900.
    Asus at TigerDirect ...

I suspect that they had posted a special or even the wrong price for a while. Current price appears to be $1250.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I suspect that they had posted a special or even the wrong price for a while. Current price appears to be $1250.

Yeah, it probably was a Holiday special.

Phil
    Phil