Options

Shooting an outdoor wedding in the rain! Any tips?

joyaphotodesignjoyaphotodesign Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited November 29, 2011 in Weddings
Hello everyone,
I'm a newby to this forum and want to thank all the photographers who contribute so much of their knowledge for up coming Wedding Photographers like myself. I just checked the weather on my phone and it looks like it's going to rain this Friday in Los Angeles! I have an outdoor wedding scheduled at a golf course in Palos Vedez and am kinda getting nervous due to the circumstances. I work solo so was thinking of getting an assistant for the day to hold umbrella, flashes, etc... But don't know how much to pay. Any suggestions? I know to take a whole lot of plastic bags to cover my equipment but maybe there's a more professional way of doing this while protecting my equipment and not looking completely ridiculous. Any tips that are provided are greatly appreciated.
Thanx,
William
www.joya-photography.com

Comments

• Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    Have you talked to your client to see if they have an alternate plan in case of rain?
    I would at the very least minimize my equipment list to the bare minimum, just what you can carry on you.
    Google shooting dslr's in the rain, certainly there are some people who have used their DSLR's in the rain a lot.
    Best of luck to you.
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    Have you talked to your client to see if they have an alternate plan in case of rain?
    I would at the very least minimize my equipment list to the bare minimum, just what you can carry on you.
    Google shooting dslr's in the rain, certainly there are some people who have used their DSLR's in the rain a lot.
    Best of luck to you.

^^ That. If you've built a rapport with the wedding coordinator or the coordinator at the venue, give them a call (if you can't get a hold of the couple to ask).

I took my camera mudding with some jeepers and let me just say... nothing saves a camera like a giant ziplock bag. I think it was a 5 gallon bag that I used. Just hold the plastic tight against the lens and wipe the mud off (or carry a box of bags) later. Hope that helps. :D

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2011
    Great advice! I'm on my way to picking up some of those 5 gallon Zip locks. I also just recieved the coordinators information so I will be giving her a call soon. I really hope they have an alternate plan.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    there are lots of alternatives to plastic bags to keep water off the gear...but it is also very expensive...Personally for over 30 yrs I have used 13gal trash bags (white or black) cut one corner out to fit over my largest lens (70-200 f2.8 for weddings)...since I only carry 2 lenses for weddings I have 2 bags and rubber bands.....it works and is a lot less costly than any waterproof shoot thru bag ..... as to how much to pay an assistant...really depends on where your from...every city will be different ... best to check with photogs in your immediate area....there are several from LA here on the forum...maybe they will chime in......also check in with a local high school that offers photog classes and get teacher to recommend an assistant for you.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited November 29, 2011
    Just checked the weather and it seems that we should be having a nice cloudy day in LA on Friday. Now clouds I could Work with! (As long as there's no water involved) I'm looking forward to this wedding and will post pics ASAP to share. And if there's any photographers in the L.A. area that know the going rate for a good assistant please let me know. Thanx
    Www.joya-photography.com
  • Options
    Light_prodLight_prod Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    for future reference, having someone follow you around with an umbrella is a godsend.
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2011
    But finding a reliable person to take on such an important task is kind of hard to find.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    I know that in the Canon line, 1-series bodies and certain large-aperture L-series primes and zooms are weather sealed and can actually stand quite a downpour and survive just fine, by design. I know a MotoGP photographer who has shot a 1-series with a 300/2.8 in pouring rain w/o worries. I wonder if the 5D line of cameras and suitable lenses would also be suitably weather sealed. Even then, I'd worry about the flash, and I'd worry about water drops on the front lens element.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    I shoot with my cameras in rain all the time. Remember that a bride is not going to be in the rain nearly as much as you'd think, and a pro weather sealed body can handle that. Last year I did shoot a ceremony in the rain (about 20 minutes). I used a 1DII & 70-200 without a problem.

Dont change your lenses in rain (no water inside the body). Don't point your lenses up (no water on lens). Keep a hood on to keep water off the lens.
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    Buy a bunch of umbrellas for the B&G and bridal party. Get a clear one for the B&G so you can still get some light through it :)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!