Options

Waiting

JBHotShotsJBHotShots Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
edited November 30, 2011 in Street and Documentary
I hope this qualifies as Street.

I'm currently going to college for photography and I used this image for one of my recent projects. The project was design elements for a photo113 class, pretty basic stuff. I "found" this place the week before but couldn't bring myself to take the picture. The next week I went to the same area and just made myself take it and really liked the outcome.

i-XdVrgMM-L.jpg

What do you think and does this qualify as a street shot? Thanks for looking.
Jamie
JBHotShots.com
Facebook
7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX

Comments

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2011
    Looks good to me Jamie, I like it as a contextual shot

Well done
    Rags
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,927 moderator
    edited November 30, 2011
    It certainly is a street shot, but I wonder if you could have done more with the scene. The street poster gives incongruity, which is a good thing. You have a number of people in the foreground, but they don't seem to be doing anything special, and don't look especially interesting in themselves. Perhaps if you had waited longer something interesting might have happened. Had you been a little closer, you might have gotten some good expressions, though you would want to include the rest of the facade and enough background to show that the poster is not the real street. Perhaps getting closer and losing a little from the right would have worked better, dunno. Anyway, you spotted a scene with lots of possibilities, which is the first step. Now go work the scene a bit and see what you come up with. thumb.gif
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2011
    You're seeing, Jamie, and that's the important part. I agree with everything Richard just said. I guess if it had been mine I'd have gotten in a bit closer or used a zoom lens, which in this case wouldn't have corrupted the perspective, and made a vertical, showing the rest of the front of the building, probably including the phone, to make clear, as Richard said, that the poster isn't really the street. My only criticism would be that there really are two pictures here -- one on the left and one on the right.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2011
    The lesson here Jamie, is that there are different styles.

The responses are related to styles (and they are good).

You will develop your own style; but remember you can't satisfy everybody

Good luck
    Rags
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2011
    Thanks for all of the input. This is for a basic photo class and we were looking for design elements, points, lines, different shapes ect., and I also used repetition which we learned from a previous assignment, the bus stop with a picture of a bus stop and people waiting at both. I should have included this in with the photograph to help explain why I shot it the way I did.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2011
    Thanks for all of the input. This is for a basic photo class and we were looking for design elements, points, lines, different shapes ect., and I also used repetition which we learned from a previous assignment, the bus stop with a picture of a bus stop and people waiting at both. I should have included this in with the photograph to help explain why I shot it the way I did.

Ha!

Then you would get hammered because it's a PJ shot
    Rags
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2011
    torags wrote: »
    Ha!

Then you would get hammered because it's a PJ shot

Well that's no fun...Laughing.gif
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2011

I would not get in the middle of your class or contradict your Teacher but .................

here's what I would of done with this.
    Walk right up to the curb, get on my knees and start to capture the billboard and people at the bus stop only. When those peoples react to what I was doing, I would stand and say Hi, how you Folks doing, just shooting some pictures here and then get back down and shoot a few more.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2011
    Good initial start. I find the photo interesting with the line of people and the wall painting/poster had me doing a double take.

But as you have read, this is just a starting point. It would be a really cool spot to revisit periodically and begin taking the other shots suggested and exploring your own ideas some more. For street shooting, you will need to begin to get comfortable getting closer and bolder, but that comes with time (and make sure you wear running shoes...rolleyes1.gif).