Options

It's About the Light

richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
edited November 30, 2011 in Street and Documentary
We went to visit our Tai Chi Sifu and had a layover in Seattle. We walked out the gate and I couldn’t believe the light – at around 5PM, the light is lovely with the clouds allowing the Sun to peek through. I pulled out my camera and got a few grabshots before the light disappeared.

20111118-L1008334.jpg

20111118-L1008346.jpg

20111118-L1008355.jpg

20111118-L1008368.jpg
"Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
// richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram

Comments

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2011
    #2 is the one I like best (motion vs relaxation) nice tension

Actually I think the long shadows are the drama
    Rags
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2011
    Definitely. The light and shadow are the main event and humans are just supporting cast
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2011
    I was sitting in those very same Starbucks seats a few months ago, when my wife and I were on the way back from our honeymoon.

I think #2 is the winner here!
  • Options
    doobdoob Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2011
    i thought taking pictures at the airport is like a security risk no?
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2011
    Definitely the second one, Richard. And not just for the light - there could be a great story in the woman looking down the hall toward the receding man. Nice. And btw for everyone. This set is a wonderful example of seeing photographic possibilities in a situation and working it. I always tell my students that e 'real decisive moment' is that instant in which you recognize the photographic possibilities in a situation, not some 'magic' moment when you press the shutter release. Richard's decisive moment was that in which he saw the light, recognized the possibilities, and began WORKING the situation.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2011
    bdcolen wrote: »
    I always tell my students that e 'real decisive moment' is that instant in which you recognize the photographic possibilities in a situation, not some 'magic' moment when you press the shutter release.

And that's awfully close to what Cartier-Bresson meant by the "decisive moment." He wasn't talking about the moment of shutter release either; he was talking about the moment when YOU are ready and into it.

#s 1 and 2 have their charms, and #3 is a very nice environmental portrait. Overall I'd vote for #2.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,926 moderator
    edited November 27, 2011
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Definitely the second one, Richard. And not just for the light - there could be a great story in the woman looking down the hall toward the receding man. Nice.
    15524779-Ti.gif Nice dynamics there. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2011
    Yes, first I took a dozen of so so-so shots, of which the first one is the best of the bunch. Then I walked down the corridor and saw the couple talking and I knew there's a shot there. I positioned myself and hoped for some interesting person to show up and then I saw THE HEELS walking down from the side corridor. I prefocused on where she might be walking to, and set the exposure manually to avoid blowing the highlight much and just ... hoped it'd work out. She was walking faster than I thought and I only got 3 shots of her. Other "shoes" came by and I fired off a few more shots but none is as magic as this one.

Thank you for all the kind comments!

Oh, the 3rd one is yours truly, taken by my wife :-)
  • Options
    roakeyroakey Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    doob wrote: »
    i thought taking pictures at the airport is like a security risk no?
    [USA-centric answer]

Typically it's fine: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/taking_pictures.shtm

The problem, if I may be blunt, is the petty tyrants/bullies that some (not all) TSA agents are. I've overheard the quote "You can't take pictures here!" several times at a TSA checkpoint, despite their own procedures allowing it.

Roak
    [email]roakeyatunderctekdotcom[/email]
    <== Mighty Murphy, the wonder Bouv!
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2011
    I enjoy #1 best. I like the people all receding in an arc away from and enjoy the shadow forms more than in #2.