rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
edited November 30, 2011 in Street and Documentary
i-M6cbgtv-XL.jpg

i-PxG2s57-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2011
    They're both good shots, Ben. From the standpoint of street photography #1 stands out because there's a story there, even a hint of menace. Composition is good in both pictures, especially in the second, where the gull balances the woman and gives motion to the picture. Good work.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2011
    RSL wrote: »
    They're both good shots, Ben. From the standpoint of street photography #1 stands out because there's a story there, even a hint of menace. Composition is good in both pictures, especially in the second, where the gull balances the woman and gives motion to the picture. Good work.

Sorry to say I did not capture these, no worries :D

Rainbow not sure about these my immediate reaction is there flat.

You know not much drama/light/shadow.
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2011
    Both shots appealing to the eye
    Nice compositon
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2011
    RSL wrote: »

Thanks! I interpret it as a "relationship" story rather than a "menace" one, but that is where the viewer's perspective affects how the picture moves them.
    lensmole wrote: »
    Both shots appealing to the eye
    Nice compositon

Thanks! I liked them first because of this. I actually anticipated the gull (someone else was approaching them from the left so I knew they would take flight).
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2011
    bfjr wrote: »

Rainbow not sure about these my immediate reaction is there flat.

You know not much drama/light/shadow.

There is a full range here (filled histogram), BUT the white is the wave and the black is his jacket. The day is a gray day in No. CA, and I thought the "brightness" or flat appearance was the better depiction for the mood and what I "felt" I saw.

But for all of us, here are two choices, the original and one where I pushed the brightness higher

i-M6cbgtv-XL.jpg

i-C8nhMKN-XL.jpg

If you or other respond to the differences noticed, I will give my thoughts on why I chose as I did (beyond what is mentioned).

Thanks, even if you are sorry you did not take the pic (actually are you sorry you did or did not take the photo? ne_nau.gif) rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2011
    rainbow wrote: »
    There is a full range here (filled histogram), BUT the white is the wave and the black is his jacket. The day is a gray day in No. CA, and I thought the "brightness" or flat appearance was the better depiction for the mood and what I "felt" I saw.

But for all of us, here are two choices, the original and one where I pushed the brightness higher

If you or other respond to the differences noticed, I will give my thoughts on why I chose as I did (beyond what is mentioned).

Thanks, even if you are sorry you did not take the pic (actually are you sorry you did or did not take the photo? ne_nau.gif) rolleyes1.gif

I prefer the brighter version and do not believe it changes the mood of the image or any of the implied story that one can freely read into.
    I'm lucky to live close to the ocean and do much contemplating there, and that's how I see this image
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2011
    I prefer the brighter version and do not believe it changes the mood of the image or any of the implied story that one can freely read into.
    I'm lucky to live close to the ocean and do much contemplating there, and that's how I see this image

Your SoCal beaches are not as foggy...

The difference that I perceive between the two is the effect of the brightness on the water between them. In the original, my eyes flips back and forth between the two people. On the brighter version, my eyes get caught by the brightness of the ocean. It is momentarily, but breaks the flow and reaction on a subconcious (or conscious) level.

Currently, I sense a lot of forum participants are playing with the brightness/contrast/blacks sliders (I certainly am) to learn how to process in b/w more effectively. I certainly am (and in "21" that I just posted, I pushed the brightness and it was duly noted as being too far)

Thanks for the feedback.
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011

The difference that I perceive between the two is the effect of the brightness on the water between them. In the original, my eyes flips back and forth between the two people. On the brighter version, my eyes get caught by the brightness of the ocean. It is momentarily, but breaks the flow and reaction on a subconcious (or conscious) level.

Currently, I sense a lot of forum participants are playing with the brightness/contrast/blacks sliders (I certainly am) to learn how to process in b/w more effectively. I certainly am (and in "21" that I just posted, I pushed the brightness and it was duly noted as being too far)

Thanks for the feedback.

I prefer the original, the subject and the" focal point" being the brightest part of the photo blend much better . The second one is too bright and takes the eye away from the subject .
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2011

Thanks for the feedback.

My focus is not swayed in any way by the added brightnes.
    I have never been good at typing why I feel / think a certain way, especially in terms of Photography, actually Art in General.

To me it's a matter of the feel I get from the image.
    Simply put the darker makes me feel like there is a problem with the subjects
    and doesn't allow my mind to entertain other scenarios. There body language greatly adds to that
    feeling.

The brighter version allows me to entertain those other scenarios.
    Pretty silly and simple isn't it.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2011
    My focus is not swayed in any way by the added brightnes.
    I have never been good at typing why I feel / think a certain way, especially in terms of Photography, actually Art in General.

To me it's a matter of the feel I get from the image.
    Simply put the darker makes me feel like there is a problem with the subjects
    and doesn't allow my mind to entertain other scenarios. There body language greatly adds to that
    feeling.

The brighter version allows me to entertain those other scenarios.
    Pretty silly and simple isn't it.

Neither silly nor simple.

Your response is very good because it touches on the processing effect on interpreting shots. There is a small difference in brightness between the two. But I went darker because my intent was to convey melancholy, dreariness, etc -- or as you put it, "... a problem between the subjects". When I brightened it, I felt it lost some of that (which you would have chosen to give more options).

This processing effect on the viewer is something I am just beginning to explore. Thanks -- your feedback encourages me to continue on this path.