Thanksgiving2011ZoeyKids0402-X2.jpg
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    man talk about harsh light and shadows, handled that really well.

I also wonder if this would not of been stronger with a lower perspective.

Got a personal kick out of what struck me as the difference between West & East Coast.

Here that family would be in the shade sans Coats & Shawls, but the dogs would be wearing coats :D
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    It looks like the the small child in the stroller is hanging on to the leash pretty hard and is about too maybe go for a ride. Its a cute capture !
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2011
    Love the triangles formed (with figures and lines), the lines of the sidewalks and leashes, the rectangles, and the shadows!
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,926 moderator
    edited November 30, 2011
    bfjr wrote: »
    I also wonder if this would not of been stronger with a lower perspective.
    I think a lower perspective would be a plus for viewing the people and dogs, but might detract from the lines and shadows. I suppose it depends on what interests you more. Personally, I think this works very well as is. thumb.gif
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2011
    I've got a feeling, BD, that there's some strong connection between you and these people....perhaps these are even your dogs? You commented about a picture of mine that you didn't care for the excess of sharp lights and stark shadows....yet this shot is eaten up with those elements. You've often commented, regarding many photos, that getting closer would have benefited the shot. That observation certainly applies here. Even then, though, there's nothing really compelling about this shot to hold one's interest. I'm afraid this one doesn't make the grade.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2011
    Human expressions are powerful, powerful elements in street photography. If you doubt that, take a run through Gene Smith's "Country Doctor" or any Cartier-Bresson book. The expressions on these faces are bland. For this one to succeed there'd have to have been some sort of connection between the two -- anger, love, expressed indifference... something. But there's nothing. It's just two people exchanging a couple words on a street. The fact that they have dogs and a baby doesn't help. I also agree with Tom that the starkness of the overwhelming backlight detracts from rather than helps the geometry.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2011
    Well, good, Russ, except that Country Doctor is not, and has nothing to do with, Street Photography. Never has been. Never will be. It is photo journalism/documentary photography, at its finest.
    As to this one: A. I make no claims for my images. B. The people are not exchanging words. Nada. They are related. They are standing together. They are waiting. For what? Who knows? You obviously wouldn't, because you feel that at "street photograph" has to be a billboard that screams "THIS MEANS THAT." Which, of course, is precisely the opposite of what a great street photo is or does. (And no, this is not a great street photograph; I'd like to think it's an intriguing image, though one that could be improved upon one way or another.

Country Doctor? Walking away, scratching head.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    edited November 30, 2011
    lensmole wrote: »
    It looks like the the small child in the stroller is hanging on to the leash pretty hard and is about too maybe go for a ride. Its a cute capture !

Funny...the baby isn't holding anything. I think you are seeing one of the lines in the sidewalk as a leash. Which is fine. :-)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    edited November 30, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    I think a lower perspective would be a plus for viewing the people and dogs, but might detract from the lines and shadows. I suppose it depends on what interests you more. Personally, I think this works very well as is. thumb.gif

Yup, as you and Ben note, a lower angle might have been an improvement. There's always room for that...improvement. mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2011
    Well this time the convention "get closer" doesn't work.

The fishey vertical lines of the buildings is distracting from the subject
    Rags
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2011
    Interesting. I hadn't thought about that verticalish line on the right, but you're indeed right.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2011
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Well, good, Russ, except that Country Doctor is not, and has nothing to do with, Street Photography. Never has been. Never will be. It is photo journalism/documentary photography, at its finest.
    As to this one: A. I make no claims for my images. B. The people are not exchanging words. Nada. They are related. They are standing together. They are waiting. For what? Who knows? You obviously wouldn't, because you feel that at "street photograph" has to be a billboard that screams "THIS MEANS THAT." Which, of course, is precisely the opposite of what a great street photo is or does. (And no, this is not a great street photograph; I'd like to think it's an intriguing image, though one that could be improved upon one way or another.

Country Doctor? Walking away, scratching head.

Of course you're right about Country Doctor, BD. Immediately after I posted that I went out with a camera for a walk and on the way I realized what I'd said and almost rushed back to change it because I knew that if I didn't you'd catch it. So, get rid of the word "street" and everything falls into place.

Considering what I wrote in the article I posted a few weeks ago (http://www.externalconnections.info/text/SP.htm), and considering the number of times I've called for ambiguity in street photographs, I'm not quite sure where you got the "THIS MEANS THAT" idea, BD. Maybe you could dig up a quote. I suspect you're misunderstanding my call for some kind of interaction -- or obvious lack of interaction when there should be some -- between people in a street photograph.

And while we're on the subject, how about telling me what you think is "intriguing" about this image.
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2011
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Interesting. I hadn't thought about that verticalish line on the right, but you're indeed right.

Aww... just an example of being anal....
    Rags