Options

Removing Foggy cast over image

rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited December 3, 2011 in Finishing School
How can one get rig of that sometimes typical foggy cast over an image or subject using either LR3 or CS5
Canon 5DMk II | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2011
    rickp wrote: »
    How can one get rig of that sometimes typical foggy cast over an image or subject using either LR3 or CS5

I actually don't know what a "typical" foggy cast is. Can you post an example?

Sam
  • Options
    PeanoPeano Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2011
    sam wrote: »
    can you post an example?

+1
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2011
    Here is the image. I'm in CS5 playing around with selections, color etc etc... trying to get better with the whole program.

The foggy cast I'm talking about is the grayish cast over the planes. The lack of color intensity. I hope that's better.

F4andF182.jpg

Ths
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited December 3, 2011
    Raise the black point.
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2011
    thank you that helps.
  • Options
    PeanoPeano Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2011
    If you shot raw, you'll have a lot more to work with. If not, mask out the planes and deal with foreground and background separately.
    Shadows/highlights filter will help bring out shadow details on the planes and increase contrast on them. (With the strong backlighting,
    there isn't a lot of detail to recover from the planes -- again, unless perhaps you show raw.) For the background, I used a hue/sat adjustment
    layer in multiply mode.

jets.gif

jetsg.jpg